Menu

20th Anniversary Trip planning help!

We're not good at the romantic anniversary stuff.

DH's really most comfortable with the staycation. And that fits in really well with the whole month of December when something important, like a family Christmas party, is always scheduled over our anniversary date.

But it's our 20th this December and maybe we'll try something new this year. It's up to me to offer a couple options to choose from.

I've thought of a cruise.........but let me say that I have no idea which destination, cruise line, or how to get affordable flights from the midwest to the coast. Suggestions if you've done a cruise, thanks!

Or maybe a trip to Arizona or Las Vegas? A complete loss.........

We went to Sanibel Island once. It's a possiblity too, but is it too cold in December?

Disney Land, but how to make that affordable?

It would be nice to go somewhere warm, beach isn't necessary. But the entertainment provided is preferable. We tend to crash on vacation and then it doesn't make sense to do that away from home, right?

We usually take a vacation in December.... but wait until its close so its not too cold. I don't like to spend money to freeze. I like Florida, but only if its at least in the 60s in the day, but I prefer 70s!

DisneyWorld is great. We like to get a condo nearby (Orange Lake in Kissimmee) and play in the lazy river. I haven't checked if the lazy river is open in the winter, we have only gone in summer and fall. If you don't want to go to DW, there is a ton to do on the the grounds, golfing, jet ski, activities.

We have friends that LOVE Las Vegas.

I am from California (but on east coast now), and have been to Disneyland over Christmas. It was a little chilly at night, but completely doable. If you go to the west coast, I would also go to San Diego, it is only 90 minute drive from Disneyland.

I also like Gatlinburg, Tennessee. If its cold, it works, since its the mountains!

Adding: I am NOT a cruise person. If you go on one, make sure you are not one that gets sea sick....

We usually take a vacation in December.... but wait until its close so its not too cold. I don't like to spend money to freeze. I like Florida, but only if its at least in the 60s in the day, but I prefer 70s!

DisneyWorld is great. We like to get a condo nearby (Orange Lake in Kissimmee) and play in the lazy river. I haven't checked if the lazy river is open in the winter, we have only gone in summer and fall. If you don't want to go to DW, there is a ton to do on the the grounds, golfing, jet ski, activities.

We have friends that LOVE Las Vegas.

I am from California (but on east coast now), and have been to Disneyland over Christmas. It was a little chilly at night, but completely doable. If you go to the west coast, I would also go to San Diego, it is only 90 minute drive from Disneyland.

I also like Gatlinburg, Tennessee. If its cold, it works, since its the mountains!

Adding: I am NOT a cruise person. If you go on one, make sure you are not one that gets sea sick....

Have an agent working on a quote for the Disney option. I'm curious what they're going to come back with. :D

What cruise line do you recommend?

How expensive are those "port of call" adventures? I was looking at one in the Carribbean that had horse back riding to Mayan ruins, snubba, ATV rides through the S. American forest...... Those have to be expensive! I need a reality check.

Are meal included in the price or is that extra too.

Thanks.

We've cruised many times as a family and absolutely love it. It can be the type of vacation you want it to be. You can stay on board the ship when it's in port and relax by the pools, take advantage of all the things they have to do on board, etc, etc, etc. Or you can get off the ship and be more active. We've done both.

We've cruised both Royal Caribbean and Disney. Both are very nice cruise lines, but if you did Disney with just your dh, I think you'd miss your kids a lot!

On the cruise, everything is included - food, port fees, some drinks (alcohol is extra, and sometimes soda is extra), things to do on board, room service (!), the view!!

Extra money - port adventures, alcohol, tips (do a google search to find out what is customary), photos, gambling (Disney doesn't have gambling on board), bingo, spa, art auctions, anything in the stores, some premium restaurants.

I agree with the PP - if you get seasick, make sure you bring medication to deal with it. On Disney they give out Bonine at the medical center. That saved my oldest one day as we were dealing with the waves from a typhoon!!!

Have fun planning!

Oh! I was going to post a thread almost exactly the same as yours!. IT is going to be our 20th anniversary in February. I was sort of thinking of surprising DH with a trip to Nepal (not in Feb that would be too cold). He went there when he was young and single and has always wanted to go back. the problem is I really cannot go on a long holiday. I will be following this thread hoping to glean some ideas from others.

Can we have an idea of your budget?

Are you looking for warm? How long can you be gone? And you want time planned into the trip to do nothing?

$1,000 - $1,500

Warm.

7 days - specifically Dec. 2rd - 8th

I'd love to do some of the adventures I saw on one cruise ship--ATV riding through a forest at one of the Caribbean ports of call. Off-road motorcycles were the common interest we shared back in our dating days. It's evolved more to ATVs in our old age. It would be fun to do that again together some where new.

Time to do nothing is good too.

Where do you live? Anywhere near a port? That would cut down on flight cost. You don't have to answer.

I just did a quick search on Carnival and there are a number of 4 and 5 day cruises that would easily be in that budget! And, that would leave you with plenty of money leftover for those excursions you were talking about. Here's the link for one of them:

http://www.carnival.com/core/cruisedetails.aspx?embkCode=MIA&itinCode=KC3&durDays=4&shipCode=IM&subRegionCode=CW&numGuests=2&showDbl=False&isOver55=N&isPastGuest=N&stateCode=MI&isMilitary=N&dayOfWeek=Mon&sailDate=12/3/2012&sailingID=64137&sailingSearchParams=dat:122012,dest:C,dur:,embkCode:,pageNumber:1,pageSize:5,PastGuest:N,Senior:N,shipCode:,sort:FromPrice,StateCode:MI,numGuests:2,offersOnly:false,tgo:,Military:N,length:3,tierCode:,

If you live anywhere near that port, it could be a really cheap trip!

Where do you live? Anywhere near a port? That would cut down on flight cost. You don't have to answer.

I just did a quick search on Carnival and there are a number of 4 and 5 day cruises that would easily be in that budget! And, that would leave you with plenty of money leftover for those excursions you were talking about. Here's the link for one of them:

http://www.carnival.com/core/cruisedetails.aspx?embkCode=MIA&itinCode=KC3&durDays=4&shipCode=IM&subRegionCode=CW&numGuests=2&showDbl=False&isOver55=N&isPastGuest=N&stateCode=MI&isMilitary=N&dayOfWeek=Mon&sailDate=12/3/2012&sailingID=64137&sailingSearchParams=dat:122012,dest:C,dur:,embkCode:,pageNumber:1,pageSize:5,PastGuest:N,Senior:N,shipCode:,sort:FromPrice,StateCode:MI,numGuests:2,offersOnly:false,tgo:,Military:N,length:3,tierCode:,

If you live anywhere near that port, it could be a really cheap trip!

We're landlocked in the midwest. A flight is necessary.

Our 20th is in January! Right behind you :)

We're taking a cruise to Hawaii.... I absolutely can't wait. Using all of DH's combat pay from being gone most of the year to pay for it.

Anyway - here are some great websites to look at:

Vacationstogo.com (almost everything)

Mousesavers.com (Disney)

CruiseCritic.com (reviews of itineraries and ships)

For Disney - you can go far cheaper by planning it yourself.... You could rent DVC points from a DVC member to stay on property, find a good deal on tickets, etc. It can be quite affordable. Are you within a (long) day's drive of either park?

Cruises - we love Royal Caribbean - went on Freedom of the Seas a bit over a year ago. One of the most relaxing vacations we've ever been on (which is why we're cruising for our anniversary). The only issue there is with your budget - getting to the port would probably bring you over. You could very possibly get a cruise on Carnival, however, and stay within your budget. Some carnival ships get rated just as high, if not higher, than some Royal Caribbean ships. We love sea days.... so - in a week - even just 3 ports would be great.

As for other locales in Florida in December, I'd say as long as you're south of, say, Orlando (maybe a bit further south) - you're most likely going to get nice weather. But - even then - anywhere in Florida can get cold in December. It's kinda hit or miss.

Well, if you go to Key West, you're safe :)

Have fun!!!

O

Cruises - we love Royal Caribbean - went on Freedom of the Seas a bit over a year ago. One of the most relaxing vacations we've ever been on (which is why we're cruising for our anniversary). The only issue there is with your budget - getting to the port would probably bring you over. You could very possibly get a cruise on Carnival, however, and stay within your budget. Some carnival ships get rated just as high, if not higher, than some Royal Caribbean ships. We love sea days.... so - in a week - even just 3 ports would be great.

Have fun!!!

We are booked on Freedom of the Seas in January. We will love it - right? We are coming off of a few years of cruising with Disney, but we needed something cheaper this time! We were spoiled with Disney and I just don't want to be disappointed!!! Any hints? I haven't even started looking at that ship or at the excursions or anything!

We are booked on Freedom of the Seas in January. We will love it - right? We are coming off of a few years of cruising with Disney, but we needed something cheaper this time! We were spoiled with Disney and I just don't want to be disappointed!!! Any hints? I haven't even started looking at that ship or at the excursions or anything!

I haven't sailed Disney - so I can't compare the two.... but - I am spoiled when it comes to vacations. We probably go far more overboard than we should, lol. We stay at Deluxe resorts at Disney if that gives you an idea :) We LOVED Freedom. My DH, who wasn't sure he'd even like cruising, wanted to find a way to live on the boat. We never wanted to get off. This was our first, and so far only, cruise.

The food in the dining room in the evenings was wonderful (some people complain in the reviews.... but I don't understand it), the buffet for breakfast and lunch was good - no issues. We thought the entertainment was wonderful.

Here is something we messed up on out of ignorance: There is a "not to be missed" ice skating show, I think they do two performances. I didn't know that you could only get tickets the first day (or two?) of the sailing. They announce that tickets will be sold - way too quietly and without much hoopla - and if you miss it - no tickets for the shows. So - we missed the show :( The other shows - you probably only need to be there about 20 minutes before the show stars and you'll get good seats. There is a great piano lounge way up high - I think Olive and Twists? Maybe not.... anyway - check out all the cool little bars for their evening entertainment.

Other than that - hmmm. Well - we always ordered a cheese and fruit plate (or two) from room service when we got back from port, and got bread and a vinegar/oil dip from the pizza place, ate them on our balcony as the ship was pulling away from port.... ahhhh.... It was a great way to hold us over until dinner.

If the kids are going, make sure they attend the very first get-together's at the clubs. They'll meet most of the other kids on board, and can start hanging out with them. Go to the club open houses - it's the only time you'll be let in :)

Bring at least one pair of full length pants (per person) that you don't care too much about. You must have full length pants to go ice skating - and if you fall, the knees can rip. It is really fun :)

As for excursions - way too much to write here - but if you'd like to hear about them - let me know and I'll PM you :)

Edited by SailorMom

When you pick your room.....midship, front, or back? Or just let them pick it for you?

Interior room's are a good choice for first timers who don't know if they'll be sea sick or not?

So the ship you choose is important? Which ships, how do you pick?

Edited by CalicoKat

I haven't sailed Disney - so I can't compare the two.... but - I am spoiled when it comes to vacations. We probably go far more overboard than we should, lol. We stay at Deluxe resorts at Disney if that gives you an idea :) We LOVED Freedom. My DH, who wasn't sure he'd even like cruising, wanted to find a way to live on the boat. We never wanted to get off. This was our first, and so far only, cruise.

The food in the dining room in the evenings was wonderful (some people complain in the reviews.... but I don't understand it), the buffet for breakfast and lunch was good - no issues. We thought the entertainment was wonderful.

Here is something we messed up on out of ignorance: There is a "not to be missed" ice skating show, I think they do two performances. I didn't know that you could only get tickets the first day (or two?) of the sailing. They announce that tickets will be sold - way too quietly and without much hoopla - and if you miss it - no tickets for the shows. So - we missed the show :( The other shows - you probably only need to be there about 20 minutes before the show stars and you'll get good seats. There is a great piano lounge way up high - I think Olive and Twists? Maybe not.... anyway - check out all the cool little bars for their evening entertainment.

Other than that - hmmm. Well - we always ordered a cheese and fruit plate (or two) from room service when we got back from port, and got bread and a vinegar/oil dip from the pizza place, ate them on our balcony as the ship was pulling away from port.... ahhhh.... It was a great way to hold us over until dinner.

If the kids are going, make sure they attend the very first get-together's at the clubs. They'll meet most of the other kids on board, and can start hanging out with them. Go to the club open houses - it's the only time you'll be let in :)

Bring at least one pair of full length pants (per person) that you don't care too much about. You must have full length pants to go ice skating - and if you fall, the knees can rip. It is really fun :)

As for excursions - way too much to write here - but if you'd like to hear about them - let me know and I'll PM you :)

Wow...you make cruising sound so much fun.

Off to search cruise line options....dh and I need a get away after this year.

So I found a cruise!

Its on the Carnival Cruise Elation. Reviews gave the ship 4 stars.

Before I book I am hoping to get some advice about which rooms. To keep costs down I always look at the interior state rooms. Do any of you cruise experts have advice on how to pick a room? Lower or higher up on the ship? Which is your fav?