Menu

What car brand/model/make am I looking for ...?

I'm in the market for two cars.

I'm open to buying new or used-but-not-more-than-three-years-old. IRL suggestions have been:

For sedans - Kia Optima, VW Passat, Toyota Camry

For SUVs - Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, Acura MDX

Here are my wants:

FIRST is a mid-size to large sedan. It'll be driven mostly as a secondary car, but we'll be transporting tall, leggy teenage boys so there needs to be a fair amount of legroom from the back seat. We also prefer a bench seat because it's not uncommon to have 3 kids in the back (two who are still in carseats, so the hump needs to be ... sittable LOL).

SECOND is a mid-size SUV to downsize from our Pilot. We no longer need the third row since the olders are now driving themselves and we have less in carseats. I don't mind a third row, but I don't want to drive something as big as the Pilot. This will be my primary car.

The minivans don't do it for me - the backrow is too small for as many carseats as we need, but also too tight to comfortable seat the older kids. ** I'd really like a separate heat/cool system for the back, but I'm not sure if that's offered for the mid-size? **

Anyone have/drive/know about any of these? I'm a sucker for a smart-talker, so I need to know before I go to the lots and get suckered into buying something I don't really want :tongue_smilie:.

I love my Honda CRV. If it's big enough for you, I really recommend it (seats 5). There's no separate heat/cool for the back, but it really isn't needed (says the lady who lives in hot, hot Louisiana). It has a lot of cargo space in back, drives very smoothly, and just has an overall good 'feel' to it, typical for a Honda. Super reliable as well.

The biggest potential issue would be the leggy teenage boys; if the people in the front seat are tall, I don't know that they would have a ton of room. I don't know how different it would be from one to the next? I would check that out in person on each vehicle you are considering. I can't imagine a car having more legroom, but I could be wrong.

I know we looked at Rav4s as well. I didn't like their interior design, and I don't think they rated as reliably. Edited to add that I checked, and the 2009 Rav4 actually got an excellent reliability rating from Consumer Reports. I don't remember looking at the MDX, and we didn't look at cars at all - I'm a total convert to vans and SUVS, can't stand being so close to the ground! I find visibility far better in an SUV.

Edited by katilac

For sedans, I love the Toyota Avalon. It has a ton of room in the backseat, lots of creature comforts, and the Toyota reliability. The trunk is huge, too.

For an SUV, I LOVE the Acura MDX. I bought one new in 2006, and I just bought a new 2012. We still have the 2006, which hasn't given us a lick of trouble. It rides wonderfully, but it's still pretty fun to drive (for an SUV). It can tow 5000 lbs. in case you ever need to pull a U-Haul. Lots of room in the backseat. Third seat is great to have when you need it; I always keep mine folded down with a cargo tray over it (the cargo tray in my new one folds up so that I can pop the third seat up on the spur of the moment). When the third seat is down, there's a ton of cargo space in the back. Lots of technology fun (the tech package is the best buy). The only thing I don't like about the MDX is the lousy gas mileage, but it's par for the course for that size SUV. ETA: The third seat in the MDX is TINY. You won't be able to fit leggy teenage boys back there for anything more than a super short drive. However, it'll do in a pinch, and it's fine for smaller kids.

Good luck and have fun! I love cars (embarrassing but true). :blush:

Editing again: I reread your post, and you said you're open to buying new. You should be able to find a 2012 MDX Tech sitting on the lot right now, and the deals are really good, since the 2013's just came out. We got a killer deal (added 3500 worth of accessories, out the door with taxes etc. for $200 over invoice).

Edited by HollyBee

We are in the same market for a small SUV (downsizing from Honda Odyssey). We've driven most in that class. My favorites in order:

1. Audi Q5 (hands down this is the most fun and best driving out there - pricey)

2. Volvo XC60 t (close to the Audi)

3. Acura MDX (a little boring)

4. Lincoln (can't remember the letters :) but my son loved the backseat best in this. Luxury, but a little big and heavy)

5. VW Tiguan (very close to the Venza, but I'm a sucker for VW. I loved it, my dh didn't. And not much legroom in backseat)

6. Toyota Venza (a little different from the others, but really worth looking at)

If I were purchasing without regard to backseat I would get an Infinity EX35 :)

Sedans: favorite is the Passat TDI. Great gas mileage. And I love VW.

We haven't driven the newer Honda CRV or RAV4, but in the past they were a bit blah.

I'm no good with details, but we're a hardcore VW family. The inanimate love of my life is my rebuilt VW Jetta TDI (it's actually a GLI, which was never made with a diesel engine--the GLI being the "fancier" model--with a full TDI swap underneath). It is a workhorse of a car, gets 40+ mpgs, and looks good, too. :D My husband also drives a VW (a pre-family car, a GTI, which is teensy and irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion). Our next car, which we are in the beginning stages of researching, with likely either be another VW Jetta, a Jetta wagon, or a CC. I love the CC, but I don't think we can get it in diesel, and I think having a diesel is a hill I would die on.

LOVE our Honda CR-V. We have an older one (2003, I think) that we left in the US and use when we visit. Our 3 boys still fit comfortably in the back seat --- oldest is 5'8" and all legs, middle is 5'2" and also leggy, and youngest is still in a booster. Ours has held up well, and though it's mostly sat for the last 5 years, we drove the snot out of it the first few years -- it has between 80K and 90K miles on it and is doing just fine. Not all highway miles, either.

I'd totally buy another one if given the chance.

Thank you SO MUCH for the BTDT and reviews.

There are a few cars mentioned that I hadn't heard of so I'll have to do some more homework :)

I'm hoping to wrap up the research angle and get to the test-drive angle by next weekend.

Thanks for the heads up about the MDX deals. That's the one I best liked the looks of, but I don't know anyone IRL who has or had one.

I've never owned a VW, but we've had several BMWs and an Audi -- all of them were fabulous until about 7 years, then they all starting going bad. The Audi actually did okay until the 10 year mark, but I thought maybe it was a German thing so I was hesitant to invest in a VW sedan this time around. I feel better about considering it now that I've read more positive feedback.

Thanks again!