Menu

handwriting without tears- what do I really need?

sassenach

We had all the "stuff" (slate, wood pieces, etc.) but we never used them. We used the workbook and just discussed how they went together. I like the method of teaching and am using the cursive for my older kid now, too. I would skip the extras and order them later if you need them. Worst case you pay extra shipping (or you over order and have to return ship, LOL!).

I'd get the HTW Teacher's Manual, and the slate. The TM explains the philosophy and the methods. It also has a pattern to make the letter shapes. The letter shapes are helpful because they teach the order of the strokes. The slate is important for one of the best teaching methods I've come across: The Wet-Dry-Try method. This method is explained in the Teacher Manual, which also shows how to use the letter shapes.

I wouldn't buy the wooden shapes. They're too expensive to use for such a short time, especially with only one child. Of course, you might find it worth it since you have little 3yo coming up behind.

Don't get the Printing Teacher Guide because the information is redundant (it's already in the Teacher Manual).

Don't get the magnadoodle thing. You probably already have one.

You won't need the special mat. Any placemat will do. Just draw a happy face in the corner.

HTH,

Suzanne

• 2 years later...
I'd get the HTW Teacher's Manual, and the slate. The TM explains the philosophy and the methods. It also has a pattern to make the letter shapes. The letter shapes are helpful because they teach the order of the strokes. The slate is important for one of the best teaching methods I've come across: The Wet-Dry-Try method. This method is explained in the Teacher Manual, which also shows how to use the letter shapes.

I wouldn't buy the wooden shapes. They're too expensive to use for such a short time, especially with only one child. Of course, you might find it worth it since you have little 3yo coming up behind.

Don't get the Printing Teacher Guide because the information is redundant (it's already in the Teacher Manual).

Don't get the magnadoodle thing. You probably already have one.

You won't need the special mat. Any placemat will do. Just draw a happy face in the corner.

HTH,

Suzanne

Good stuff here. I got mine used, the whole set, which was nice. If I hadn't, though, I would have made a set of wooden letters/shapes, from craft foam sheets. There are guides in the Teacher Manual and it would have been tons cheaper (and softer when thrown :tongue_smilie: ) but the shapes were really handy around here in the beginning.

My teacher's guides never come off the shelf. We also used a dollar store chalkboard. I bought some of the stuff used years ago and the person had made the letter pieces from foam. My kids really like those. They work just fine and have held up well over the years.

It looks like I'm in the minority here, but my kids loved the Stamp and See Screen. You could just use a Magnadoodle, but it comes with block letters that have magnets on the back. So first you stamp the letter and then trace it. It held up really well for 2 kids and doesn't take up a lot of space. We also bought the chalk board with the double lines but never used it.

My guess is that some kids do well with just the workbooks, but the ones who need extra help probably need the sensory component. I'm not saying it has to be the Stamp and See or that you need all of the products, but maybe something besides the workbook.

Guest homeschool dad

I rarely looked at it. I never ordered the other things (slate, wood pieces, etc.). I think just the workbook is enough.

Chris.