Menu

Good online AP courses?

We've had excellent experiences with PA Homeschoolers for the following classes:

Human Geography

US History

World History

We had a so-so experience with AP Latin with Regina Coeli Academy (they don't offer it anymore.) The class environment was positive, but it did not prepare my son for the AP Latin exam, so he will have to take one Latin class at college. We had a so-so experience with Scholars Online for AP Physics B. Class was boring - all text. Very, VERY slow feedback. They didn't cover everything before the exam so my son had to teach himself a few units and do all his own review. He did get a 5 on the exam and received college credit. But, he didn't have much of a lab book so he has to take a physics lab in college.

My dd is taking AP English Language and Composition through Patrick Henry. My only complaint has been that they seem to do a poor job of student orientation before the class began. We had many frustrating moments and a few tears trying to figure out where class assignments are and how to log onto the live class. Now we seem to have most of the kinks worked out and hopefully we won't have any more issues. There seems to be a lot of busy work. But we are only 2 weeks into the class. The class does has a lot of great literature to read but it's on an e-reader and not a hard bound book.

HTH,

Elise in NC

ChemAdvantage for AP Chemistry seems to get almost nothing but rave reviews here. My daughter took it last year and says it is the best class she has ever taken (of course, I am sure she meant to say, "Second best, right after the AP Econ taught by Mom..."). She felt extremely prepared, was confident even before the exam that she would score a 5, and she did. There are student (not parent, which I love!) reviews on their site, and as far as I could tell, those reviews are unsolicited. My daughter actually e-mailed them and asked how to review their class. They sent her the form and posted her review in its entirety. I think it says a lot that a student asks to review your course.

It is time-consuming, absolutely, but well worth it.

Terri

• Like 2

AP Chemistry thru Chemadvantage is amazing! (I've had 3 kids take it!)

We've been pretty happy with all of the various AP classes my kids have taken through PAH. (My kids have taken 7 different AP's through PAH)

I particularly recommend the AP Economics through PAH -- a truly outstanding class! The "games" that the kids play are incredible at familiarizing the kid with economics concepts and having them apply them to "real-world'" situations.

AP Latin through Scholars Online was good. It didn't prepare specifically for the exam (no exam prep and dd found out a month beforehand from a prep book what some of the material covered on the exam would be!) BUT the class really did prepare her well enough that with some hard work with a prep book she got a 5.

My dc have done:

* AP Human Geography through PAH -- excellent! Interesting; teacher was on top of grading and feedback; thoroughly prepared student for the exam; no logistical issues; love the asynchronous format that allows the student to fit in studies to his schedule.

* AP Biology through Florida Virtual School -- very good. Sent the Campbell book to us as well a box of lab materials. The teacher was available; course prepared student well for the exam; asynchronous format; a few system ticks that have probably been worked out; FREE; accredited course grade.

* AP English Language and Composition through FLVS -- neither of my dc raved about this class but I think it got the job done. They enjoyed it, just didn't rave about it. It was more solid than older ds' college Eng. Comp which was why my next youngers did it. FREE and an accredited course grade.

* AP Macroeconomics through FLVS -- dry and boring. But that was for one of my dc that is very science minded and apparently not business minded. He was at a point also that he needed/wanted an IRL class and professor.

* AP Environmental Science through FLVS -- ds really liked this! He found it engaging and it prepped him sufficiently for the exam. Again, asyncronous, FREE and accredited course grade.

HTH,

Lisa

• 1 year later...

ChemAdvantage for AP Chemistry seems to get almost nothing but rave reviews here. My daughter took it last year and says it is the best class she has ever taken (of course, I am sure she meant to say, "Second best, right after the AP Econ taught by Mom..."). She felt extremely prepared, was confident even before the exam that she would score a 5, and she did. There are student (not parent, which I love!) reviews on their site, and as far as I could tell, those reviews are unsolicited. My daughter actually e-mailed them and asked how to review their class. They sent her the form and posted her review in its entirety. I think it says a lot that a student asks to review your course.

It is time-consuming, absolutely, but well worth it.

Terri

May I ask what year your daughter was in when she took AP Chem through Chem Advantage?

May I ask what year your daughter was in when she took AP Chem through Chem Advantage?

She was in eighth grade, so two years ago (she is in tenth now). She started at a STEM magnet the next year and took their post-AP chemical engineering class as a freshman, the first freshman ever to do so.

Through PA Homeschoolers:

AP Chemistry (last year, ds 9th grade)

AP Computer Science (last year, ds 9th grade)

AP Physics B (this year, ds 10th grade)

AP Latin through Lukeion (this year, ds 10th grade)

I will be signing up ds for AP Physics C and Caluculus AB through PA Homeschoolers for next year.  He will have the same intructor as his AP Physics B course. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...