Menu

How do you store your math manipulatives?

joy

I just got a fun order from Rainbow Resource --lots of math manipulatives. We do not have a school room, I school from the kitchen and I use the pantry for school supplies. Space is limited in there. I'm thinking I want something with lots of dividers/containers. Any ideas?

I just got a fun order from Rainbow Resource --lots of math manipulatives. We do not have a school room, I school from the kitchen and I use the pantry for school supplies. Space is limited in there. I'm thinking I want something with lots of dividers/containers. Any ideas?

Gallon zip lock bags for

unit cubes, flash cards, puzzle pieces, geometric cut outs, crayons, hex weights.

And I keep them in my pantry as well. I don't think little drawers would work unless we took out the entire drawer and brought it to the table.

I also use ziplock bags. They fit all those odd shapes and sizes and I can separate things as meticulously as I want without guilt of buying a storage bin for each type of thing. My kids are responsible for cleaning up the manipulatives and these are easily replaced if they get too rough. Plus I can see through them and know in a glance where what I need is.

We use the mini storage drawers also. They are perfect for storing the small manipulatives. If I want to further divide a drawer (for different kinds of counting items, for example), I put them in a small zip lock. The front end of our drawers is clear so that I can label and see in the drawer.

Olga

We have 4 4-drawer organizers. Each one is about 3 feet high. They are stacked two high, forming a 6-foot high by maybe 2-foot wide set with 16 drawers total. This is filled with math manipulatives, each drawer holding a different topic's manipulatives (fractions, measurement, money, geometry, etc.)

Ziploc bags in a clear rubbermaid tub in the "curriculum closet." Ones that we are currently using on a regular basis are on the bottom shelf of our bookcase in the "school area."

:iagree: I use the ziplocks that "stand". I have a couple smaller tubs rather than one big one...the frequently used ones and the not so. The most used ones live on the desk Apprentice.

I used ziploc bags for small pieces, then store them all in a dishpan together. I really like dishpans! I like that they are really cheap, easy to sort through and find what I want, convenient to carry. I have dishpans for several different things (math manipulatives, reading manipulatives (word/letter cards, reading rods, etc.), the playstation and controllers near the TV, books in my son's room (they stack up in it and is easier than book shelves).

I think I got them at Big Lots for $1.50. I'm sure most dollar stores have them.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

See-thru being the important thing. I have a whole mess of Lock & Lock bins of varying sizes. They are rectuangular and stack perfectly and have lots of sizes. I can keep a lot of stuff organized in small amount of space. I love them.

(The Lock & Lock bins can be expensive but I've found them on great sales at grocery stores on occasion, which is when I've stocked up.)