Menu

Help for starting with kindergarten please

Guest one.luckymom

Guest one.luckymom

So all along hubby and I agreed that our children would go to public school and we would sit down and talk about homeschooling if one was struggling. However, this was the first year we were sending one to kindergarten and the closer it got the more I felt like maybe we should homeschool. Surprisingly hubby started being open to it more so than I ever expected. So after 3 weeks of public school we pulled our daughter and are now going to homeschool. Only problem is that I haven't looked into any homeschool stuff and am lost in what things to do. We seem to kinda like Charlotte Mason from some reading, but haven't set on anything yet. I did borrow five in a row from the library, as it seems lots of people like it and then I've heard a lot about Math U See. So what things do you do with your kindergartner, curriculum you like and use and any helpful advice?

Spend some time thinking about how you want to approach things, and what feels comfortable for you. You won't "fall behind" in Kindergarten!

If it suits your style, and you want to keep the learning vibe going, you could get some cheap K-level or 1-level workbooks to do a few pages from a day while you do some studying of your own (but you don't have to!) :001_smile:

I think starting off with Five in a Row while you get your research and curriculum-gathering done is a GREAT idea!!!

From what I understand (I'm not an expert) Math-U-See follows a very different sequence for teaching than other math programs, which can make it harder if your child might end up in PS again, or if there is any standardized testing that needs to be done, or if you decide to switch programs later on.

For a really hands-on, fun, visual approach to math, we like Miquon. This can stand alone, or you can add in another program like Math Mammoth.

A more expensive (but wonderful) option is Right Start Math.

The only things you probably need, in addition to math and some good books, are phonics and handwriting. There are lots of handwriting curricula out there, including free ones, so I would just choose one that you like the looks of. For reading, there are also a ton of options- A lot of people like Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, or Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading.

Personally, we did Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, then switched about half-way through the book to Phonics Pathways.

Good luck!

There will always be books to read and curricula to research. I don't think you have to know your philosophy of education before even starting (nor will it remain the same as you progress!)

*FWIW, I enjoyed reading TWTM. I also really enjoyed reading The Read-Aloud Handbook.*

I guess you just should think about what you would like for your DD to accomplish this year. Also, what does your state think that a K'er should learn? (That might give you some idea of what you want to cover.)

Think about your style: are you crafty/fun....or not. ;)

Think about your child's style: hyper-go-lucky :D or studious-and-diligent?

For me, I think a good K program would include:

phonics instruction

lots of read-alouds

crafts and art

exploratory math (shapes, puzzles, games)

hands-on, living science (nature walks, fun experiments)

trips to the zoo, library, museum

How you fill in the blanks is up to personal preference. I'll be doing K again next year with DD2 and we'll be using CLE's KindergartenII program (cheap and complete), adding in Singapore Essentials + games, and lots of fun stuff. :)

Take your time to make a decision, you don't want to shell out money when you don't know what you and your daughter NEED. Learn her learning styles, watch her in play, and watch her learn. Think about your personality and how you like to teach. Do LOTS of research before clicking 'buy'.

It will be fun, and she will not fall behind. Read to her/with her, and take your time.

phonics instruction

lots of read-alouds

crafts and art

:)

:iagree: For my oldest's kindergarten year, we read science books (mostly about animals) that he chose from the library, lots of great chapter books, went on weekly nature walks, listened to lots of music, painted, sculpted and created with all kinds of materials, in addition to phonics instruction (with OPGTTR), handwriting practice (Zaner-Bloser) and math lessons (RightStart A). We made weekly visits to the library, and went to our local play museum, science museum, zoo, and art gallery regularly. That, with a lot of creative play, was our year!

Good luck! It's an adventure!

:iagree:

There will always be books to read and curricula to research. I don't think you have to know your philosophy of education before even starting (nor will it remain the same as you progress!)

*FWIW, I enjoyed reading TWTM. I also really enjoyed reading The Read-Aloud Handbook.*

I guess you just should think about what you would like for your DD to accomplish this year. Also, what does your state think that a K'er should learn? (That might give you some idea of what you want to cover.)

Think about your style: are you crafty/fun....or not. ;)

Think about your child's style: hyper-go-lucky :D or studious-and-diligent?

phonics instruction

lots of read-alouds

crafts and art

How you fill in the blanks is up to personal preference. I'll be doing K again next year with DD2 and we'll be using CLE's KindergartenII program (cheap and complete), adding in Singapore Essentials + games, and lots of fun stuff. :)

:iagree:

I agree with just starting FIAR and going from there. With ds we played games for math, did handwriting w/ chalk and sticks and then moved onto HWoT and then I See Sam for phonics. As well as TONS of books, library visits, park days, and walks outside. It was very, very low key and fun for both of us.

Guest one.luckymom

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm not very artsy and she LOVES to paint do crafts, so for some of that I've looked into our local Pavilion with their homeschool classes they offer in paint and clay that I like the idea of for her. I will do some crafty stuff, but just embracing that love side of hers. I plan to buy a membership to the science discovery center a the pavilion for lots of hands on fun in the winter especially. We do have a membership to the zoo and to a butterfly house we have thanks to grandparents. :) I thought about some nature walks as we really haven't done much of those. I do good with reading books to them, but when it comes to reading books myself it is a weakness for me that I need to strengthen for sure.

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm not very artsy and she LOVES to paint do crafts, so for some of that I've looked into our local Pavilion with their homeschool classes they offer in paint and clay that I like the idea of for her. I will do some crafty stuff, but just embracing that love side of hers. I plan to buy a membership to the science discovery center a the pavilion for lots of hands on fun in the winter especially. We do have a membership to the zoo and to a butterfly house we have thanks to grandparents. :) I thought about some nature walks as we really haven't done much of those. I do good with reading books to them, but when it comes to reading books myself it is a weakness for me that I need to strengthen for sure.

Well, it totally sounds like you guys have some awesome resources and are off to a great start! So, perhaps add in some "formal" math and reading instruction and you're set!

Thanks for the advice so far. I'm not very artsy and she LOVES to paint do crafts, so for some of that I've looked into our local Pavilion with their homeschool classes they offer in paint and clay that I like the idea of for her. I will do some crafty stuff, but just embracing that love side of hers.
I'm not art and crafty myself but I keep a cabinet of art supplies and dd5 gets them out whenever she wants.

I'd start by checking in to the requirements for where you live. We only did Kindergarten 3 days a week and then the rest of the week I used to research different ideas, curriculum, etc. Although I do recommend researching different methods and philosophies, it's not necessary to decide on a "label." I still can't tell you "what we are" and we've been doing this for four years. I also researched things to death and then found out that what I wanted to work and what actually worked ended up being quite different for some subjects.

Starting in K is nice. It's all about games and fun. We only ever covered math and phonics formally. Everything else was experience based. ie: nature walks for science, etc. It gives you time to "experiment" with homeschooling and see what may or may not work for your family. We used Saxon Math and All About Reading for DD last year. For my oldest we pieced stuff together for Kindergarten and that worked too. Letter a Week is a great start. You can make your own or buy books that are already set up for you.

I'd definitely make a list for what you are required to cover for Grade 1. Then you can start looking into curriculum. I'd also look into different stores and conferences that might be coming up in your area. Being able to get your hands on books is soooo helpful. If you get a chance, definitely attend a conference. There is a wealth of information to be found!

I'm not very helpful with homeschool links because we are in Canada, so all my links apply to here. I do have a really great link for lapbooking though. (and they are free!) If your DD likes art, she will love probably love these. :) http://www.homeschoolshare.com/Lapbooks_at_HSS.php

Good luck! oh - and one other thing -- definitely find out who your supports are going to be. It is a road full of twists and turns and having people behind you is going to make a world of difference!!!

I always suggest that people starting out with no real idea of what they want look at Cathy Duffy's book. I found it tremendously helpful, even when I wasn't a Christian (I mention that because I've seen complaints that say its too Christian). I found the first part where you take quizzes to determine your teaching style, goals, child's learning style, etc., to be invaluable. Then, there are curriculum suggestions based on your results. Hanging out on homeschooling boards has allowed me to refine those as time went on, but I really feel like having that book at first helped me to feel more comfortable about getting started. She's updated the book. I don't think the updated version is out in print yet, but you can get the digital version from Homeschool Buyer's Co-op.

So all along hubby and I agreed that our children would go to public school and we would sit down and talk about homeschooling if one was struggling. However, this was the first year we were sending one to kindergarten and the closer it got the more I felt like maybe we should homeschool. Surprisingly hubby started being open to it more so than I ever expected. So after 3 weeks of public school we pulled our daughter and are now going to homeschool. Only problem is that I haven't looked into any homeschool stuff and am lost in what things to do. We seem to kinda like Charlotte Mason from some reading, but haven't set on anything yet. I did borrow five in a row from the library, as it seems lots of people like it and then I've heard a lot about Math U See. So what things do you do with your kindergartner, curriculum you like and use and any helpful advice?

I don't know if you are feeling the pressure to start HEAVY instruction TODAY.

My favorite K-1 TODAY download is How To Tutor kindle version for $9.99. It's a complete K-1 3R curriculum if you like "stick in the dirt" curricula, instead of workbooks. Many people will want to move on to other things when they do some research and the snail mail arrives, but I personally like to stick with it. My printer died and I needed something FAST. I downloaded HTT as an interim curriculum, but fell in love with it, and stuck with it.

The reading and writing is done on college rules notebook paper.

The curriculum teaches slanted cursive.

Don Potter has free Alpha-Phonics and slanted cursive instructions downloads which all work lesson for lesson with HTT.

You can use any handwriting type that you want.

There are free Spalding manuscript instructions here, if you don't want to use slanted cursive with a Ker.

I teach vertical cursive for the lowercase letters and traditional manuscript for uppercase letters. This is an early HTT lesson from one of my students, including her mistakes.

3edd9415.jpg

I'll bet your library or local bookstore has, What your Kindergartener Needs to Know. You can get the Kindle download for $15.00.

You can homeschool the whole year with just these 2 Kindle downloads, if you like them. Or they can just hold you over while to take your TIME picking what you REALLY want, without having to rush.

And it is just K, so you don't have to do anything TODAY.