Menu

canners help!

I water bath can in a big stock pot, I don't have a canner. I always put several bands in the bottom and set my jars on top to keep them up off the bottom of the pot. I am canning my last tomatoes and have run out of bands, is it okay to let the jars set on the bottom of the pot? If not, what else can I use to get the jars up?

Thanks!

I water bath can in a big stock pot, I don't have a canner. I always put several bands in the bottom and set my jars on top to keep them up off the bottom of the pot. I am canning my last tomatoes and have run out of bands, is it okay to let the jars set on the bottom of the pot? If not, what else can I use to get the jars up?

Thanks!

What a great idea to use bands to keep the jars off the bottom. I have always let my jars sit on the bottom and my canned tomatoes do not seem to have suffered. There is a rack one can buy to insert into the pot and lift the jars out all at once. I may break down one day and get one. Lehman's has it, I think.

http://www.lehmans.com

No. There is a significant risk the jars will shatter if you set them on the bottom. I have a canning rack that fits in the bottom of my stock pot, and I know the rings work too. I would think anything metal that is flat and even enough for the jars to rest on without tipping would work.

Are you keeping your rings on your jars after canning? If they've sealed, you should remove them.

I wouldn't risk putting them on the bottom-- you risk breakage that way. Ive had it happen.

:iagree:This was my first thought. If you've got rings on jars already canned, take them off and use them. I have a rack in my canner that I use, but it's very thin. I can't see that it holds the jars up very much. Maybe I should try the rings, too- I've broken two jars in the canner this year so far :glare:

I've used a round cake cooling rack with success. It's pretty much the same as a canning rack but without the handles to lift it up. If you have a pressure cooker, you could take the rack out of it.

Round cooling rack - great idea and less expensive than the actual canning rack.

Have you ever considered canning the tomatoes using hot tomatoes and boiled jars? I recently spoke about this on my blog, in my siggy.

Lots of people may do this but it's not safe. You cannot see or smell botulism-- it doesn't smell or look like "rot."

BTW, I guess google and check, but I was told when I started canning that you should *not* leave the bands on the jars when you put them up for storage. Something about it can mess up the permanence of the seal. I always take mine off, just as soon as the buttons are down and the jars are cool enough to handle.

My inlaws just brought me a couple more buckets of tomatoes. It's a happy season! :)

What a great idea to use bands to keep the jars off the bottom. I have always let my jars sit on the bottom and my canned tomatoes do not seem to have suffered. There is a rack one can buy to insert into the pot and lift the jars out all at once. I may break down one day and get one. Lehman's has it, I think.

www.lehmans.com

:iagree:I, too, just put mine on the bottom of the canner but my grandmother used to use a worn out tea towl on the bottom of hers. It was so old that it had been relegated to that job only.