Menu

Please help! Am I making a bad decision?

My daughter really wants a self paced curriculum where she can finish high school at a more quick rate. She is very responsible and self sufficient. She wants to do the American School https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com

She also wants to go into pre-med at UTSA. She is the oldest of four kids and the only one currently being homeschooled. I am a single mom and currently working a lot (from home).

My question is this: Will this school be frowned up on by UTSA if she tries to get into Pre-Med. She is in the 11th grade and was homeschooled last year too but using mostly Seton and a hodge podge of our own things.

I don't have a husband to bounce ideas off of. I just don't know what to do. Advice?

If I may be frank: yes, a very bad decision in my opinion. Especially with respect to her goal of being a pre med.

The American School curriculum is a bare minimum with very low standards, even for the college prep track:

https://www.americanschoolofcorr.com/collegeprep

Just take one look at math: Essential Math 1 and 2, Algebra 1, Geometry.

This may be "college prep" for community college, but not for a four year university; most of them require four years of math counting algebra 1 and up. Essential math 1 and 2 don't even count, so she would only have two of the required math credits to even get admitted.

Take a look at science: only three years, and only the Science elective in senior year is a lab science.

As a premedical student, she will need to take demanding science courses as an undergraduate to be competetive for medical school admission. This high school curriculum puts her so far behind that she will have to spend a lot of time on remedial courses in college before she is prepared to take the science courses she must have if she wants a shot at med school.

Getting done fast is nice, but if medical school is her goal, speeding through high school with a curriculum with such low standards is not in her best interest. She will not be prepared for university.

If I may be frank: yes, a very bad decision in my opinion. Especially with respect to her goal of being a pre med.

The American School curriculum is a bare minimum with very low standards, even for the college prep track:

This may be "college prep" for community college, but not for a four year university; most of them require four years of math counting algebra 1 and up. Essential math 1 and 2 don't even count, so she would only have two of the required math credits to even get admitted.

Take a look at science: only three years, and only the Science elective in senior year is a lab science.

As a premedical student, she will need to take demanding science courses as an undergraduate to be competetive for medical school admission. This high school curriculum puts her so far behind that she will have to spend a lot of time on remedial courses in college before she is prepared to take the science courses she must have if she wants a shot at med school.

Getting done fast is nice, but if medical school is her goal, speeding through high school with a curriculum with such low standards is not in her best interest. She will not be prepared for university.

Thank you for the feedback! Can you offer me a better alternative or suggestion? I need something she can do on her own for the most part? I have looked at others like Keystone school etc? I have no clue!

Please don't do America school!!!!!! The only people I have met at America school are doing it because they need to graduate high school but want no work.:glare: Why doesn't your daughter do something like keystone or another online school. I know a few keystone kids who finished four years of high school in two.

Thank you for the feedback! Can you offer me a better alternative or suggestion? I need something she can do on her own for the most part? I have looked at others like Keystone school etc? I have no clue!

I don't think you have to go with an online alternative. Instead sit down with her and the colleges where she will want to go for undergrad and look at what the minimum she needs to take is. If possible also find out what their overall statistics are for admitted students, since often the bottom won't get in. Also look at what more they might want from a home school student (SAT IIs). Will she need some AP scores? Etc.

Then find materials to match these goals. While those materials might be online, they might also be just texts and materials for her to use at home. If she is self motivated, then you and she can work out a schedule to finish things like biology, chemistry, calculus, whatever in a a short time period. After that it is up to her.

If you are smart you may wish to give her a year long schedule for each course and a shortened version so she can chose during the process to slow down if she needs to.

An online school is not the only option - if she is an independent student, there are plenty of alternatives. Math and sciences can be studied with a good textbook (plus a lab kit from labpaq or similar source). She can selectively enroll in online courses for individual subjects (PA homeschoolers has a great reputation) or simply use free materials like OCW and Coursera.

My DD works very independently. We put together our own materials, expect for the classes she takes at the university.

I would 100% agree with regentrude. As a pre-medical student, she will need to carry a demanding courseload and make very strong grades all the way through. This courseload will not prepare her to do that.

I would say American School would probably be a good choice if a student wanted a diploma to enter a vocational program at a community college, but not for one who's going to enter and do a serious academic major.

Since she is already in 11th grade, I would strongly advise against accelerating her into 12th (which is what you would be looking at doing) unless she has completed or is taking at least senior-level courses in all disciplines. In math and science, this means she should AT LEAST be in precalc/trig and be doing the third one of bio/chem/phys (she will need to take courses in all 3 of these for pre-medical). It would actually be far more advisable to take some AP courses senior year. UTSA's policy is here: http://utsa.edu/testing/ap.html -- she could get some credits, and if she fumbles and does NOT do well, the records won't follow her when she applies to med school.

I looked at the UTSA website. If you are applying as a graduate from an accredited high school program, you only need a certain SAT score for admission as far as I can tell. As a homeschooler, you need to have a committee review your application, which I'm thinking is trickier. If you are a very busy mom with a lot on your plate, it might be easier to do this via an accredited program.

There are actually some decent reviews of American School on this board if you do a search--I don't have any personal experience with it. It looks like you can sub higher level courses for the lower level and even take courses elsewhere (like cc) and have it on your AS transcript. I noticed on American School's website that they offer higher level courses like Physics and Calculus. You don't have to do their bare bones minimum college prep courses.

I agree it's better that your daughter get all her college prep requirements out of the way, particularly in math and science, before graduating and applying to college so she's prepared for the pre-med courses. It doesn't seem like a given to me that doing American School rules that out. Seton is also another solid accredited program where you only need to take their religion, history, and English each year and you can do the other stuff as independent study via cc courses or whatever.

Would she have to do the whole American School Program? What credits would she have going in?

I agree. Because Texas colleges operate by these formula standards where they admit students largely based on scores and class rank, she may be able to be accepted. But, with the goal of medical school she doesn't just need to be admitted. She needs to enter her first year of college prepared to be at the very top of her classes. Particularly coming out of a mid-tier state school she will need to have perfect or near perfect grades to be a serious contender for medical school. In that weeder bio course she's going to be up against students who have completed BC Calculus, AP bio, and AP chem. Completing the minimum credits to get a degree isn't going to get her where she wants to be.

If she's looking for more challenge would some dual enrollment courses or more challenging online courses be an option?

Found your nudge, Jane! I've been busy with work lately and haven't been able to be on as much, but for Pre-med? Yes, I've done my homework on that lately and you've had a bit of great advice on here already. Let me quote those I especially agree with, then I'll add a few more words...

An online school is not the only option - if she is an independent student, there are plenty of alternatives. Math and sciences can be studied with a good textbook (plus a lab kit from labpaq or similar source). She can selectively enroll in online courses for individual subjects (PA homeschoolers has a great reputation) or simply use free materials like OCW and Coursera.

My DD works very independently. We put together our own materials, expect for the classes she takes at the university.

I would 100% agree with regentrude. As a pre-medical student, she will need to carry a demanding courseload and make very strong grades all the way through. This courseload will not prepare her to do that.

I would say American School would probably be a good choice if a student wanted a diploma to enter a vocational program at a community college, but not for one who's going to enter and do a serious academic major.

Since she is already in 11th grade, I would strongly advise against accelerating her into 12th (which is what you would be looking at doing) unless she has completed or is taking at least senior-level courses in all disciplines. In math and science, this means she should AT LEAST be in precalc/trig and be doing the third one of bio/chem/phys (she will need to take courses in all 3 of these for pre-medical). It would actually be far more advisable to take some AP courses senior year. UTSA's policy is here: http://utsa.edu/testing/ap.html -- she could get some credits, and if she fumbles and does NOT do well, the records won't follow her when she applies to med school.

I agree. Because Texas colleges operate by these formula standards where they admit students largely based on scores and class rank, she may be able to be accepted. But, with the goal of medical school she doesn't just need to be admitted. She needs to enter her first year of college prepared to be at the very top of her classes. Particularly coming out of a mid-tier state school she will need to have perfect or near perfect grades to be a serious contender for medical school. In that weeder bio course she's going to be up against students who have completed BC Calculus, AP bio, and AP chem. Completing the minimum credits to get a degree isn't going to get her where she wants to be.

If she's looking for more challenge would some dual enrollment courses or more challenging online courses be an option?

:iagree: With all of the above and especially the part I bolded.

Lately, the numbers getting into med school have been dismal. ONLY top applicants (from college) apply and the percentage accepted hovers around 45%. That, for the math challenged, is less than half who apply - and remember - ONLY top applicants apply for the most part. You want to be super prepared going IN to college as many will be weeded out that VERY FIRST YEAR when they hit those weeder classes. My guy is going in to his Bio, Chem, and Calc classes having been able to get 5s on the AP tests and he's not alone. Pair him up against students who haven't seen a real college prep class before and they'll be at a significant disadvantage.

I would NOT do American School (nor Keystone - we had one bad experience with that). I'd be finding some AP classes with a record of getting high scores. As a last resort, I'd try for dual enrollment. (NOTE: This is a last resort because these classes WILL COUNT toward your med school application GPA. You want to be certain your student can get an A in any class they take - esp if dual enrollment comes from a community college. (Also note, my guy did 3 dual enrollment classes, but I was pretty certain he would get As. He did.)

Your goal for med school is a super high GPA in ALL college classes (AP classes won't count) and a high MCAT score (that will be taken in or after college). Preparation for those classes is absolutely necessary. We did most of our high school at home, but I teach high school and came from a good one (far better than where I work), so it wasn't so difficult for me to know what I was looking for. If you don't live in a good district, start reading threads on here looking for curricula you can afford. Let your daughter do them (it's ok if she does them independently). She's going to need to be self-motivated in college if she's to head to med school. Let her practice now. If you're sure she'll get As, sign her up for dual enrollment, but skip Bio and Chem (many med schools do NOT like to see those credits coming from dual enrollment - or community colleges - only 45% or so will be admitted - you don't want a nick on her application).

And don't forget extra-curriculars... colleges and med schools like to see those. The top of the top MCAT and GPAs actually have a lower acceptance rate (74% if I recall correctly) than the group just below them (still high numbers, but a 93% acceptance rate). The best guess is those folks were all study and little extra curriculars - not good. You need both.

Don't rush and take a chance ruining her options. Take it slower (normal speed) and be well-prepared for the competition.

Out of curiosity, does she have PSAT, SAT, or ACT scores yet? If so, where does she stand? If not, check with your local public high school about signing her up for the PSAT now (it's given in Oct - results in Dec, but at our school you need to be signed up by the end of Sept - check with yours to see their policy).

Once you have scores, you'll have a better idea where she stands compared to other juniors.

If you're curious before Dec (and don't have current scores), you can also have her take a practice one at home to get a rough idea. This will also give you an idea of where she may have gaps in her knowledge that need to be filled by spring when she takes the tests "for real" for her college apps.

What classes has she done because I have been trying to get into the science field and was told that my schedule was good so far.

9th

AP World History B/3 on exam

Honors Biology A

Digital Media A

Spanish 2 A

Geometry B

Honors English A

10th

AP Lang A/ 4 on exam

AP Euro A/ cancelled score due to misbubble wich made for a BAD score

AP Enviro A/ Cancelled score due to misbubble which made for a BAD Score

Spanish 3 A

Algebra 2 Honors A

AP Chemistry A/ county I was in did not offer exam

11th planned

AP US History-keystone

AP US Government -keystone

AP Lit-keystone

Pre Calc/ Geometry (redo geometry because keystone course was absolutely awful!)-TT

AP Comp Science- Keystone

Marine Biology Apologia

Physics Honors Apologia

French 1 or German 1-Keystone

I plan to retake 3 AP Exams from soph year because I had a bad test taking year. I was so nervous and sleep deprived and then proceeded to horribly sick to my stomach a few exam days. I know all the info like the back of my hand and scored 5s on every practice test only to then freak out and bomb the exam.

12th planned

AP Bio-Keystone

AP Physics-Keystone or Apologia

Creative Writing- keystone or CC

AP Art History - keystone

AP Stats-keystone

French 2 or German 2-keystone

Anatomy- Apologia

Calculus- TT

I will be taking the PSAT This October and possibly the ACT and then SAT in Dec. Goodluck to your DD

Edited by brandigirl

This is a very timely thread about the competitiveness of med school admission for anyone thinking about heading to med school:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1388731-unrealistic-expectations-after-lots-hard-work.html

Getting "in" to an undergraduate college is easy. There are tons of them at all levels. Getting "in" to med school is a whole different issue. It's important to be thinking ahead to set yourself up for it from your high school years to give yourself better odds.

As one of the posters said, it appears that only 5 - 10% of students entering college thinking pre-med (overall, not any one college) end up actually applying to med school, then, less than half of those get admitted. Granted, many change their mind for legitimate reasons - falling in love with something else - realizing being a doctor isn't the same as on TV, etc, but many also find they can't make the GPA required. For a good number of those, it's due to a poor foundation in high school giving them an uphill battle to start with. This is what you want to avoid.