Menu

What do your kids do in Sunday School?

Our kids (gr. 3 and 5) read a story from the Bible, talk about what they read, do a game/activity, and a little craft about the story/theme. They don't learn any creeds or verses at Sunday school. The younger kids hear a story, sing a few songs, do a craft and have play time.

We go to a Presbyterian church.

my church is non denominational now. it switched about 15 years ago from mennonite, so we have a really wild array of backgrounds now (anywhere from mennonite to no church background at all). my kids are in grades 3 & 5.

each sunday the kids and small group leaders meet corporately in a large common area. they have music and a lesson, and sometimes a game for fun that reinforces the lesson. they then break up into small groups and return to their room with their small group leader. the groups are broken up by grade and gender (so my son is only with 2nd/3rd grade boys and my daughter is only with 4th/5th grade girls). their small group leader is the same each week (as long as we attend 2nd service that is), so the relationships really are strong with my children. they have a memory verse that they focus on each month (which i love over weekly scripture memorization, as my kids really become familiar with that particular verse and it's application).

anyway. that's it. in 6th grade they start to serve one service and attend "big" church in another service (we have 3 services, so serving and attending is easy and no one misses out).

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Our kids (gr. 3 and 5) read a story from the Bible, talk about what they read, do a game/activity, and a little craft about the story/theme. They don't learn any creeds or verses at Sunday school. The younger kids hear a story, sing a few songs, do a craft and have play time.

We go to a Presbyterian church.

This and we go to a Baptist church. In the Alliance church we went to they had memory verses to learn as well that usually lined up with the story they were learning about.

My dd6 has an amazing teacher. She was an art history major in college. She teaches them bible history and stories through art! Each Sunday, they work on their memory work - the Lords prayer, the creed, etc. then, they read a story. Then, her teacher shows them different pieces of art that depict that story. These kids come out of that class able to identify different saints based on clues from the painting or sculpture. They all know the stories from our stained glass windows too.

Ten, they do a little project of their own.

Love it!

Eta, dd has had the same teacher for three years!

My dd6 has an amazing teacher. She was an art history major in college. She teaches them bible history and stories through art! Each Sunday, they work on their memory work - the Lords prayer, the creed, etc. then, they read a story. Then, her teacher shows them different pieces of art that depict that story. These kids come out of that class able to identify different saints based on clues from the painting or sculpture. They all know the stories from our stained glass windows too.

Ten, they do a little project of their own.

Love it!

Eta, dd has had the same teacher for three years!

Wow, that does sound amazing! What denomination is this?

It depends on age for us:

2-3 year olds read a Bible story, do a related craft, have an unrelated snack, and play the rest of the time. We have a lot of options for activities depending on how the class is going.

4yo-3rd graders are grouped into classes by age but rotate through different stations. They do musical worship, Bible story (include verse memorizing and discussion), related craft (typically emphasizing the memory verse) and games.

4th-6th graders do more of an adult-feel/transitional Children's Church with Bible reading, musical worship, teaching, and attend service once a month with the adults. This is a new program designed to transition them better to the regular service as a need was noticed.

Of course, all children are welcome to all or part of the regular service. The children's ministry is not mandatory.

We are a small, Foursquare church.

If you could, please give me a quick overview of what your kiddos do at Sunday School? Is it reading from the bible, learning prayers/creeds, other?

Also, what denomination are you, and what grade do your kids attend?

Thanks! :001_smile:

My oldest is in 3rd grade and I have one in 1st. Both of them attend the same sunday school class this year (separated grades 1-3 and 4-6) and they read the bible and do work associated with what they read. Ss is about 45 min.

Pink is in the pre k-k class now and they do a bible story, activity page, and a craft. The littles play a good bit before and after their working time. :)

Oh, forgot to add... We are assemblies of god. :)

Eta: this is Sunday school, which for us is for an hour for all ages (though DH and I don't attend a class, there are several offered for adults - we arer busy with worship team and sound in the sanctuary for pre-service practice) and is before church service. There is also children's church which is during the service - they are two separate things for us.

Edited by PeacefulChaos

No kids this age any more, but here's what kids do in Sunday school at our nondenominational church:

2's transitional class from nursery. Some free play, hear a Bible story, do craft & activities related to Bible story, learn a table blessing, learn Bible memory from songs.

3s-K entire class is oriented to teaching the Bible story and Bible memory. The teachers design crafts, games, and other activities to teach and reinforce the story.There is no longer generic free play, though there is plenty to play with; it's just that it is all related to the story . There is a story circle where the Bible story is told, Bible memory is taught (either through song or repetition with hand motions), and the children sing. Snack is themed to the story, so if they are studying Jonah and the whale, it will be giant goldfish crackers and teddy graham "Jonahs"; if they are studying the exodus, it would be blue jello, to be parted by child who can then march teddy gram "Israelites" through the Red Sea. Bible memory is significant. for instance, the 4s learn Ps. 23 as well as some shorter verses; K learns the Lord's Prayer, reviews Ps. 23, and learns some shorter verses. Prayer before snack plus sometimes prayers of thanksgiving, confession, or "prayer requests."

1st-5th:Kids attend first 15 min of service with parents for some worship music. There are still activities, crafts, and games to go with the story or Bible memory, but the kids will now use a text. The 1st & 2nd graders use the old version of the Beginner's Bible (it was written at a 2.0 reading level). Older kids' use an actual translation rather than being told the story.(International Children's version.) Bible memory increases to 3-4 longer passages per year, plus several individual verses. The individual verses are repeated each year, with new ones added. (These tend to be salvation doctrine verses) . Bible skills are added: memorizing books of Bible in order through song (1st-2nd), learning to find book, chapter and verse (gr 3), review gr 3 and learn genres in gr 4, and learn some basic inductive Bible study skills in gr. 5. Prayer in these ages includes praise prayers, confession, petition, intercessory prayer for each other, journal writing to teach quiet time prayers. All of this is very packed with content, but presented in a fun manner, so they kids really like it.

6th and up are in larger group teaching by an adult, then break down into small groups to discuss it.

If you could, please give me a quick overview of what your kiddos do at Sunday School? Is it reading from the bible, learning prayers/creeds, other?

Also, what denomination are you, and what grade do your kids attend?

Thanks! :001_smile:

Mine are older but I taught 1st/2nd grade SS this past year. We used "The Story" curriculum, we are United Methodist. Each week included reading the story from the Bible, prayer requests, teachers acting out the story in a modern way, to help them relate to how it applies to their lives, a second reading of the story with pictures. Other activities might include crafts, a visitor dressed up, acting as a character from the story, students acting out the story, songs, and hands on activities.

This was during Sunday School hour, not in place of attending worship services.