Menu

If you forgot to take your thyroid pill

If I know I can remember to take it on my next empty stomach, I'll wait until then. Otherwise I just go ahead and take it when I'm thinking about it. Even if it isn't absorbed quite as well as it would be on an empty stomach, it is better than not taking it at all.

I took Synthroid for years before I knew I was supposed to take it on an empty stomach. I'd pop it with my morning cereal. Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference in how I felt once I started waiting to eat until an hour after I took it. So clearly, at least for me, I got virtually all the benefit even when taking it with food.

and not only is it not first thing in the morning but you ate breakfast over an hour ago, do you take it now?

No. The natural thyroid brands (Erfa, Armour, Naturethroid, etc) have a very long half-life, like weeks. A day will not make a difference.

It is also absorbed better and more quickly if you take it under your tongue (crush it a bit). I think the capsules and compounded type from pharmacies is better because the powder can just be poured out of the capsule directly under the tongue.

(Synthetics may be different so YMMV).