Menu

Coconut Oil Recommendation

I'm fairly new to the coconut oil thing and didn't have a good supply locally. Someone on here posted about Tropical Traditions. At first I thought the price was high but after buying a small jar for $8 at my grocery store that was just organic and not virgin (I had no idea what to buy at the time) I realized that when they have a sale it's a good buy if you are buying coconut oil.

When I realized I missed a sale because I was waiting on a reply from them and it turned out it had gone to my spam box, I called them and they honored the sale with no hesitation. I emailed them a couple times after that with questions and always got a quick response. My oil shipped immediately. I was sent a tracking number and when it arrived it was very well packed.

I'm still a little fuzzy on how and when to use this but as far as supplier, I will most definitely buy from them again. I'm always hesitant about using somebody on the web and wouldn't have tried them if someone hadn't mentioned it here so just wanted to let you know they appear to be very reputable!

I buy spectrum at the vitamin shop and it is wonderful.

Last time I was at the Asian Mart I found a cheap brand that just said coconut oil...it wasnt solid but turned solid in my cabinet...so I tried it. It was just as good but only cost me $2.00 I would try and see if you asian mart has some for cheap. It is in a plain boring looking bottle....nothing fancy...maybe that is why it is so cheap. It was pure, though.

I just found Nutiva Coconut Oil at Costco...don't know how long it will be there, but it was a great price -

I love the green label Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil, but seldom purchase with the price of shipping so high....

We use it in place of butter for everything - on pancakes, in cooking, etc.

I just found Nutiva Coconut Oil at Costco...don't know how long it will be there, but it was a great price -

I love the green label Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil, but seldom purchase with the price of shipping so high....

I saw it at Costco today and couldn't decide if I would use it. Does it make things taste like coconut? Please excuse me if that's a goofy question, I don't know much about coconut oil. I use butter and olive oil in everything, sometimes grapeseed oil- what are the advantages of using coconut oil?

Thanks!

I saw it at Costco today and couldn't decide if I would use it. Does it make things taste like coconut? Please excuse me if that's a goofy question, I don't know much about coconut oil. I use butter and olive oil in everything, sometimes grapeseed oil- what are the advantages of using coconut oil?

Thanks!

I just started using it. I hesitated awhile because I was worried about things tasting like coconut. You can't even taste the coconut. I use it in everything now. My daughter can't have butter and heat damages olive oil so you shouldn't cook with it.

I'm still a little fuzzy on how and when to use this but as far as supplier, I will most definitely buy from them again. ..

You can easily use it for fat or oil in most any recipe. It easily turns from solid to liquid depending on temperature. If the recipe call for oil, it needs to be warm. I just made boxed brownies with it and since the instructions called for both oil and water, I used warm water to get the coconut oil into a liquid state. If using it for shortening or lard in something like a pie crust, put it in the refrigerator so it's solid.

I also use it to fry eggs or stir fry meat and veggies in things like Indian or Oriental foods. (I like cooking Italian and Spanish food with olive oil, but that imparts a flavor while coconut oil doesn't.)

The one area that the jar I have says coconut oil should NOT be used is for deep frying. I think it has a lower smoke point.

The one area that the jar I have says coconut oil should NOT be used is for deep frying. I think it has a lower smoke point.

Yes...the Spectrum I had said Med-High Heat. The asian mart one doesnt say anything...It does burn faster on med-high then the spectrum did! It still works...but I guess that would be the difference

Whaaaaat?!!! This may necessitate a trip to Costco today or tomorrow. I didn't see it when we were there last week though. Why does it always seem like other people's Costcos have better stuff than ours? :glare:

At first I thought the price was high but after buying a small jar for $8 at my grocery store that was just organic and not virgin (I had no idea what to buy at the time)

Refined coconut oil will have little to no flavor or scent. Unrefined (I think unrefined=virgin; my jar says both) will taste and smell like coconut. If the jar is not labeled either way, and it is a lower price (for example, LouAna coconut oil sold at Walmart--very cheap), it is refined.

Which one you use depends on whether you want the coconut scent/flavor in your food. It'll complement some foods better than others.

Whaaaaat?!!! This may necessitate a trip to Costco today or tomorrow. I didn't see it when we were there last week though. Why does it always seem like other people's Costcos have better stuff than ours? :glare:

I don't know about Costco (don't go), but I typically find CO in more than one place in the grocery stores I go to. You may find it in the baking aisle, the natural foods section, and the pharmacy area (the supplement or diet section, I think).

I don't know about Costco (don't go), but I typically find CO in more than one place in the grocery stores I go to. You may find it in the baking aisle, the natural foods section, and the pharmacy area (the supplement or diet section, I think).

Good point, and you just reminded me that even though I usually cruise each food aisle to see what's new, I didn't do that this past time, because the majority of what was on my list was in the refrigerated sections. Oh, if they have Nutiva there, I'm going to be SO happy.

Thanks!

I use coconut oil because 3 of us are allergic to dairy, 1 to soy, and 1 to canola . .. so fun. i dont notice the taste much, but a friend who really dislikes coconut noticed it in a cereal bar where I used only maybe a quarter cup for a 9x11 pan!

i found a recipe to make vegan butter out of it - i really want to try.