Menu

Curly hair- ?

Umm, so I've had a wide tooth comb for a good while that I usually use. Well, I got my hair officially cut Mon and washed it last night and tried a sample of leave-in conditioner and oh.my.goodness with the extra weight taken off and a new cut my hair is back to being super curly. What do you use to comb it and not pull out the curls or frizz it when it is dry?

Also, do you have any specific leave-in conditioners to rec? I had thought my hair was frizzy just due to needing a good cut but the hairdresser said, and I can now see that my hair is also very dry on some of the ends, making it really prone to frizzing.

You don't comb curly hair when it's dry. I only comb out my hair when it's wet, put in the conditioner and leave it. That's one of the reasons it makes mornings hard, if I want to go anywhere the hair goes up or I have to wet it down or wash it.

I do sometimes just fluff it with my fingers or use a pick, but that's rare. Sometimes I wrap a few curls on my fingers and try to recurl them when dry, but that doesn't work well if the hair is too dry.

I use Garnier conditioning cream , but that because it's affordable and good. I'm sure there are better quality products out there.

Oh, well that's why I was having a hard time figuring this out. Usually if I come it dry then I re-wet it and comb. I don't wash my hair every day. I have the curly girl book but gave it away as I wasn't using it and it seems I don't remember well. Thanks for rec- I'm sure we have that brand locally.

I never comb my hair dry. I use a wide-tooth comb in the shower to work the conditioner through, scrunch in some gel, and let it air dry. When it's fairly dry, I flip my head upside down and lightly run my fingers through it so The gel doesn't give me a wet look all day.

ETA: I don't use shampoo daily, but I do use conditioner every day.

Edited by WordGirl

Oh, well that's why I was having a hard time figuring this out. Usually if I come it dry then I re-wet it and comb. I don't wash my hair every day. I have the curly girl book but gave it away as I wasn't using it and it seems I don't remember well. Thanks for rec- I'm sure we have that brand locally.

I wash about every other day. It takes a while to embrace the shaggy 2nd day look, some days are better than others. Some days I care more than others. :tongue_smilie:

yes...only comb in the shower not dry!

My dd uses Curl Junkie ...we buy all her hair products at curlmart.com online. They always have coupons. We try as hard as we can to stay away from lower end products as they end up drying her hair too much. If you have to buy grocery store items...dove has a white bottle with gold...dove oil (or something) conditioner that is very nice or pantene also does the job.

We buy a leave in conditioner for extra moisture when needed,

Conditioner we like...beauticurls by curl junkie

curl rehab in gardinia and coconut, by curl junkie

a small amount goes a LONG way!

quidad has a nice "gel" that is climate control. That works good. I didnt care for the shampoo line...

Also, diva curl is a great product.

The leave-in the hair stylists gave me is definitely more on the crunchy hair side. Sigh. It seems hard to find a good balance between some hold and shine and too much.

And wow, I generally go about 1 week or so between hairwashing- I tend toward the no-poo side. As I said as well my hair is dry these days as well so it never looks oily.

I never comb my hair dry. I use a wide-tooth comb in the shower to work the conditioner through, scrunch in some gel, and let it air dry. When it's fairly dry, I flip my head upside down and lightly run my fingers through it so The gel doesn't give me a wet look all day.

What gel do you use?

yes...only comb in the shower not dry!

My dd uses Curl Junkie ...we buy all her hair products at curlmart.com online. They always have coupons. We try as hard as we can to stay away from lower end products as they end up drying her hair too much. If you have to buy grocery store items...dove has a white bottle with gold...dove oil (or something) conditioner that is very nice or pantene also does the job.

We buy a leave in conditioner for extra moisture when needed,

Conditioner we like...beauticurls by curl junkie

curl rehab in gardinia and coconut, by curl junkie

a small amount goes a LONG way!

quidad has a nice "gel" that is climate control. That works good. I didnt care for the shampoo line...

Also, diva curl is a great product.

thanks for the rec's, I've heard good things about the Diva Curl line, I might have to invest in a few things. My hair keeps getting curlier and curlier and I hate not wanting to leave because my hair is a mess.

? My hair is pretty darn curly except right by my face- what do you do with your hair by your face in this place? I've been leaning towards little barettes or headbands. My actual fav look is to have my sunglasses as a headband-lol- although I know that is not a hair accessory :)

When my hair was shorter, it was very curly, and I found this Catwalk leave-in. I don't use it anymore, because my hair's long enough now to weight all my curls down, but I recommended it to my dd's music teacher who has short curly hair, and she adores it.

There's no stickiness at all. And you can use it on dry hair without it building up, too. So it is great to refresh curls the next morning.

Same here.

Same here, except I don't shower every day due to dry skin. But, I still wet it and comb it. I use a leave-in spray and gel from Ouidad right now.

Same here, except I don't shower every day due to dry skin. But, I still wet it and comb it. I use a leave-in spray and gel from Ouidad right now.

yes...we went to a quidad stylist and she puts the gel and rakes the hair with your fingers...grabs the tips in your hand and then shake that hair side to side slightly...it helps your curls form tightly. My DD wont let me do it on the front curls because it really makes them coil tightly.

Maybe that would work on the front hairs that are flatter?

I imagine your hair is so used to being back behind your sunglasses that it is flatter in front. I purchased those tiny little clips for my DD and she uses those with a twist to keep it back...not usually pulled straight back.

yes...we went to a quidad stylist and she puts the gel and rakes the hair with your fingers...grabs the tips in your hand and then shake that hair side to side slightly...it helps your curls form tightly. My DD wont let me do it on the front curls because it really makes them coil tightly.

Maybe that would work on the front hairs that are flatter?

I imagine your hair is so used to being back behind your sunglasses that it is flatter in front. I purchased those tiny little clips for my DD and she uses those with a twist to keep it back...not usually pulled straight back.

Thanks for the tips I'll have to try that.

My hair has always been flatter in front. My curliness started in the back only and seems to be rotating around my head. I used to not have any curliness at all in the front and now it is slightly curly. It seems to be hormonal thing for me.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, hopefully I can figure this out!

I tried to do the baking soda/ACV combo but by week 3 I was going nuts. I just switched to Kinky Curly and love it after just one use. It's all natural made with lots of organic herbs and oils and no drying chemicals. My hair is still slightly frizzy (and it may always be frizzy with TX humidity no matter what I do to it) but it looks significantly better than it did earlier in the week.

I comb the conditioner through and let sit for a few minutes then rinse out most of it. Gently squeeze out some of the excess water, apply a little more condition to the ends, then run gel-coated fingers through with my head upside down.

For good curls and less frizz, don't comb it out dry and never brush it. Use an old t-shirt as a towel instead of terry cloth. Don't touch your hair often as it's drying either. It'll catch on the skin and create more frizz.

I use Giovanni products: shampoo, leave-in conditioner, and I scrunch it with a littl bit of gel. I brush the conditioner into my hair, and that is the only time I brush or comb it. Giovanni has a variety of types to choose from, and some are specifically made for dry hair. I get mine from iherb.com because it's cheaper than the store. I have a referral/coupon code LER677 that gives first-time customers $5 off at iherb.com. (They give every customer a code like this once you've made a purchase.) It took me a long time to figure out what to do with my hair. Now it's very easy to take care of as long as I wash it every day. Also, lightly rub the conditioner on your hands and put it around the top of your head and brush it to the ends. I lightly rub the gel in my hands, scrunch it starting at the bottom, and then very lightly put it on the top of my head. A little gel goes a long way. Having short, curly hair is really hard, though. The leave-in conditioner and gel should help weigh it down a little and keep it in place, so it will be more manageable. If it's still unmanageable once it's dry, you could try using a straightener to take out a bit of the frizz. Also, make sure not to blow dry it. If you must blow dry it, use a diffuser (attached to the end of the dryer) and don't dry it all the way.

I use clips that I found at target that match my hair color to pull just a little bit of hair away from my face. This helps it not to frizz throughout the day and keeps it from falling in my face.