Menu

Anyone else going thru a midlife crisis?

Yep, I've been researching and it looks like I have a mild case of the midlife crisis going on. It can be a positive wake-up call but a little hairy when homeschooling with thoughts of going back to school myself and sending the kids to public school. I didn't dream of becoming a SAHM nor homeschooling. My plans to attend graduate school (public policy) with ten years of social work behind me went out the door with the birth of my preemie baby (11yrs ago) and subsequent child. I can't seem to shake my desire to better the lives of those entrenched in poverty and remediate a broken welfare system which does little. I love homeschooling but I don't know if it is enough to truly satisfy my vision for myself. Anyone else dealing with these kind of thoughts?

Yes! and due to circumstances beyond my control (visa related) I can neither work nor go back to school, so....trying to come to grips with the fact that life at 40 looks nothing like I thought it would. Maybe life will look sunnier tomorrow. Here's to hoping :thumbup:

Wait until you hit 48. :glare:

Been there, done that, and 49 is only a week away. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I would, however, like to say that I look much younger than 49, and in fact, could pass for 30.

I would like to say that, but unless it's really dark and is right after Last Call, there is not a single person on the planet who would believe it. :tongue_smilie:

I'm feeling a little midlife discontent right now. This is why I've spent the last month changing my style. I'm slowly becoming a rockabilly pin-up and learning to (finally!!) love my body. :) I'm getting some weird comments, but for the most part I've gotten heaps of compliments!

Me! I'vs always pictured myself as a SAHM, and have been blessed to be one for 10 years. I love my family, but I'm bored, seriously bored. I've always wanted to go back to school, so last week I applied to college and filled out my FAFSA. My poor dh didn't know what to think, but he's very supportive. Now, it's just a waiting game to see if the financial aid package will make it possible to go.

Good luck -- I hope it works out for you!!! :001_smile:

I'm feeling a little midlife discontent right now. This is why I've spent the last month changing my style. I'm slowly becoming a rockabilly pin-up and learning to (finally!!) love my body. :) I'm getting some weird comments, but for the most part I've gotten heaps of compliments!

Where are the photos? :D

Yep, had one all summer. I gave up pretending to be a respectable middle aged woman and let myself return to the " real" me. I'm back to running, listening to head banger music, going to concerts and dressing nicer. A job's not in my immediate future but I joined some groups that I wanted to but always had a baby/ toddler keeping me from. Fifty in Jan is looking better.

Yep, I've been researching and it looks like I have a mild case of the midlife crisis going on. It can be a positive wake-up call but a little hairy when homeschooling with thoughts of going back to school myself and sending the kids to public school. I didn't dream of becoming a SAHM nor homeschooling. My plans to attend graduate school (public policy) with ten years of social work behind me went out the door with the birth of my preemie baby (11yrs ago) and subsequent child. I can't seem to shake my desire to better the lives of those entrenched in poverty and remediate a broken welfare system which does little. I love homeschooling but I don't know if it is enough to truly satisfy my vision for myself. Anyone else dealing with these kind of thoughts?

Thought I'd add a serious post. I posted on Faith's post that she linked. Yes, I've dealt with similar feelings, and still do at times. Basically, I have put them all on hold, and continue to put them on hold for now. I am 40 something (don't like to count anymore). I just know if I put homeschooling on hold to pursue some dream of mine, I would regret it, probably not so much the other way around. Not saying everyone will come to that conclusion, but for me, in my particular situation, I did. However, I'm fitting in time for some of the things I want to do when I can and no longer feeling guilty about it. Some things I've changed to help me feel more me again...

Try to plan to follow some of my own pursuits in daylight hours, not in the evening when I'm tired.

Accept babysitting from MIL so I can have days off when I need them.

Ask Dh for the time I need. Ask him to step in and do what needs to be done so I can have a break.

Plan to leave the house without homeschooling materials whenever I feel like I need to be 'me' again and pursue all those interests I have.

Try to incorporate my own interests into what I am teaching my Dc.

Go out with Dh alone to things we used to enjoy--concerts, art museums, hiking, book stores, etc.

These have helped. I joined a writer's group for a while, but it just added pressure to finish things I really didn't have time to do while homeschooling. I'm better off fitting it in when I can instead of for a meeting. I spend some time thinking about what I might want to do post-homeschooling and hope that when the time comes I'll have the answer!

Yes. I struggle with the realization that I'm not doing what I thought I'd be doing at this point in my life. I always wanted to go to grad school. I had babies with the plan to stay home and when they entered school I would go to grad school, and you know have a career.

I never ever dreamed I'd home school. Ever.

So I have days that I think about the what ifs. It's especially hard right now because dh has returned to college.

Oh, thank you ladies! This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Wow, what tremendously funny, real and honest women you all are! Don't worry too much about me. I don't feel compelled to make any major decisions as of yet but I do want to position myself so that when the time is right, I can also move forward. At this point maybe I just need to get myself involved in some advocacy work, keep researching/reading about welfare changes, make time to reflect, learn to respect my own time and maybe get myself that Jeep!;)

Me! I'vs always pictured myself as a SAHM, and have been blessed to be one for 10 years. I love my family, but I'm bored, seriously bored. I've always wanted to go back to school, so last week I applied to college and filled out my FAFSA. My poor dh didn't know what to think, but he's very supportive. Now, it's just a waiting game to see if the financial aid package will make it possible to go.

You are my hero!! I can't wait until my youngest is just a bit older so I can do this...