Menu

Beast Academy - just the workbooks?

Violet Crown

The comic book format of Beast Academy is a hurdle I can't get over, but looking at the sample pages, they don't seem to be in that format at all (other than annoying cartoon creatures at the tops of the pages), and seemed to have interesting games and problems. Has anybody used just the Practice books, without the Guide books?

Oh, I dunno, I think you could use the practice book alone, if you want to, and they do have lots of interesting problems in them. My dd reads the Guide chapter on her own before she starts the practice book exercises, but she hasn't ever referred back to them or anything. Clearly, it's an off-label use ;), but I don't see why you couldn't do it successfully if you want to. A little monster shows up at the top of each exercise section page, giving the directions in little talk-bubbles, but they are in black & white and are pretty minimal.

The comic book format of Beast Academy is a hurdle I can't get over, but looking at the sample pages, they don't seem to be in that format at all (other than annoying cartoon creatures at the tops of the pages), and seemed to have interesting games and problems. Has anybody used just the Practice books, without the Guide books?

There is a great deal of teaching that happens in the Guide. The Practice book is mainly "practice." I think most kids (mine certainly) are drawn in by the story, the art, the comic book style, the discovery aspect, and the characters in the Guide.

I really don't see using the Practice books without the Guide books. Sorry.

Bill

You know, the guide irked me when I first saw it too. Way too busy, and I don't like comic books. But you know what? My son LOVED it. Well, once he understood how to read a comic book. :tongue_smilie: He reads the guide over and over and over again. He's learned a lot from it.

The practice book? Eh. He isn't crazy about it. It's just another workbook, except it has harder problems, which doesn't make him happy. ;)

I personally would not bother without the guide.

Hmmm. Food for thought. i don't feel we need the teaching from the Guides - it seems to be pretty much what dh and I teach at that level, and I think we do it pretty well - it really is just more fun ways to practice the math that we're interested in. But we really like to do the teaching ourselves.

I wouldn't say there's anything "wrong" with the comic book format inherently ... it's just a visceral dislike of the format for learning.

Anyway, I'll ponder before I order. Thanks for the input. Y'all are great.

You know, the guide irked me when I first saw it too. Way too busy, and I don't like comic books. But you know what? My son LOVED it. Well, once he understood how to read a comic book. :tongue_smilie: He reads the guide over and over and over again. He's learned a lot from it.

The practice book? Eh. He isn't crazy about it. It's just another workbook, except it has harder problems, which doesn't make him happy. ;)

I personally would not bother without the guide.

:iagree:My ds LOVES the guide I wouldn't get the practice books without it.

Hmmm. Food for thought. i don't feel we need the teaching from the Guides - it seems to be pretty much what dh and I teach at that level, and I think we do it pretty well - it really is just more fun ways to practice the math that we're interested in. But we really like to do the teaching ourselves.

I wouldn't say there's anything "wrong" with the comic book format inherently ... it's just a visceral dislike of the format for learning.

Anyway, I'll ponder before I order. Thanks for the input. Y'all are great.

Is it your dislike, or your child's dislike? I know the comic format just makes my son nuts; he can't even look at it, let alone learn anything that way. He doesn't even like magazines that use different color panels behind the text to spiff up their pages, because that makes the text look like different articles to him. He's gifted in math and reading though, so for him, we'd be foolish to rock the Singapore/Life of Fred boat; it's working wonderfully.

You might consider alternatives if the BA format is just not right for your family; they are hardly the only game in town for bright/gifted kids. Or try just the workbook if the puzzles look cool. Are the sample pages still available for download so you can give it a shot for free?

I don't want to imply that I'm looking for a curriculum. Dh, when he does his "Daddy Math" time with the littles, makes up a lot of problems and games. The BA practice books look like a good source for them. We don't need a resource for teaching the concepts in the first place. When Beast Academy first came out, he and I looked at it as a possible fun supplement. We were very turned off by the format (forgive me, and of course YMMV, but comic-book teaching is one of the things we homeschool to avoid), and the guides didn't seem to differ greatly from how we already teach math. Except it's cartoon monsters saying the words, instead of Mommy or Daddy next to you.

But I hadn't seen the Practice books until recently, and wondered if anybody had used them as a supplement, without the Guides, and if so, whether they thought it was worth it. But it doesn't sound like anybody has.

FWIW, I'm totally with you on the comic book format.

Moreover, so far, every time I have come across a mom/teacher with a student who sounded like a great student for BA, they were not eager to see it once I mentioned the comic aspect, which I think is unfortunate - the niche is a bit too narrow. I wish there were a more straightforward format for the same info, even if it were boring.

I've used bits and pieces of the workbooks without the Guides, just randomly. We haven't gotten around to going straight through (much of it is probably too tough for ds6, though on the other hand he already multiplies so the skip counting stuff was kind of boring... now that he forgot a lot of that over the summer, lol, maybe I should try again).

In your particular situation, I'd be game to try the practice books.

Some of the pages in the practice book can be used without the guide if you teach to the page, but there are some that need the guide for the explanation .

Interesting. All the on-line samples could be one on their own; I'd wondered if some pages required the Guide. Thanks.

Blondeviolin, thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at MEP.

Wapiti, I'd wondered about the focus on skip counting too; none of my girls ever skip counted - we just don't teach multiplication that way.

Interesting. All the on-line samples could be one on their own; I'd wondered if some pages required the Guide. Thanks.

Blondeviolin, thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at MEP.

Wapiti, I'd wondered about the focus on skip counting too; none of my girls ever skip counted - we just don't teach multiplication that way.

The "skip counting" section is really not what one would expect given the name. I did an eye-roll when I saw the preview of the table of contents. But the skip counting chapter was pretty cool.

Bill

I agree that some sections of the workbook seem more independent of the guide than others. However, the answers in the back of the workbook are quite detailed and give a fair amount of context for the questions, so I doubt you'd have much trouble synchronizing the puzzles with your own curriculum.

The guide does have additional problems that generally lead up to (some of) the problems in the workbook. I couldn't do the program without the guide, myself, but given that you already have your own math program, I'm not sure that the guides would be worth the cost for the problems in there alone.

I just got both of 3b. I looked over a fifth of the pages, and haven't seen anything that wasn't explained or wouldn't be self explanatory for someone who is using it as a supplement and is comfortable with teaching their own math.

I agree with another pp, check out MEP's student practice sheets. I think you can easily find puzzles in there too. Haven't tried LOF.

Beast Academy's workbook format is definitely more fun compared to MEP's practice sheets. They have a character called Calamitous Clod.(He doesn't appear that often) They have robots called duplibots that double the number of items you give it. And combobots that connect two bots. They also cover perfect squares and the distributive property in 3b.

ETA: my first impression, the guide book is too busy for me to read!

Edited by cmac