Menu

if you use teaching textbooks

mytwomonkeys

do you supplement it at all? i don't use it, but i have ordered it for my daughter (she's in 5th grade). she has used CLE for 4 years and wants to switch. honestly, i think the change would be good for her too (although i can't say enough good things about CLE). i realize TT can seem "behind" other curriculum, and i'm okay with that if she is really "getting" the content. i ordered the book too & plan to have her use it - not just the computer. so, my question is, when she switches to TT should i also order life of fred or something else to go alongside it? are there things you do to reinforce the lessons? i plan to stick it out with TT, so i am all ears. i hate curriculum hopping, especially with math.

anyway. advice? thank you:)

Well, I actually consider TT a supplement to our other math -- but I suppose you could switch that around and say that I supplement TT rather heavily. I have dd do Horizons as well and Timez Attack. I also have Life of Fred and Beast Academy for variety from time to time. She's doing Horizons 5 and TT7. Beast Academy is level "3", but it's so different that it's still challenging in its own ways.

I switched to TT this year and so far it has been review. IF we meet up with something that needs extra work I have MM and Saxon to pull from. All I can say is that it is a HUGE relief to not have them agonizing over 40 math problems in a text staring at them every day. They like the computer much better.

I found out the hard way that supplementing is needed. Both of my girls had graphs and charts on their year end testing (required by our state). Neither of them knew how to answer the questions. I went back and looked over TT3 & 4. Nope, it was never a part of the curriculum. We will still use it for next year as I really like it but I did check to see if any type of graphs or charts will be introduced in TT5. Still nothing. So I will be supplmenting that.

Jennifer

I'm sure I got it from these forums, but have you seen Bedtime Math? Each day they email (or you can check the blog) a new mental math problem. It has three levels for littles, middles, and older kids. So far I really like it. I started out copy and pasting into a Word doc to print out. This week, I'm just going to check the blog each day and read from it.

My ds11 asked to go back to TT this fall, and I am happy to comply.

In short, I don't really supplement, not with another program. However, I do read mathy books aloud, and we use math in everyday life. Sometimes we play math games.

I personally like TT and think it is a pretty solid program.

Well, I actually consider TT a supplement to our other math -- but I suppose you could switch that around and say that I supplement TT rather heavily. I have dd do Horizons as well and Timez Attack. I also have Life of Fred and Beast Academy for variety from time to time. She's doing Horizons 5 and TT7. Beast Academy is level "3", but it's so different that it's still challenging in its own ways.

Dd8 uses TT with other math resources. See below.

We use TT and I do supplement with LOF, and TimezAttack for my son, 5th grade. I also have added some Family Math and Math Minutes into the mix. My 8th grader will using LOF and Hands on Equations as a supplement to TT Pre-Alg. My kids love it and no more completing 40 math problems at a time:tongue_smilie:. I am a little worried that TT is not comprehensive but I am going to give the kids a midyear math assessment in Dec. We will see how our skill sets are developing. :)

We do. I use multiple things no matter what we use though (even when we used Horizons and Lials) We supplement with Life of Fred, Money Matters, and some kind of Everyday/business type math for each grade level. (well, starting at around 4th-5th grade, not before) We also try to find living math books to read. BUT this is just because you can never get to much math!!

This is an example from my 9th graders weekly schedule

Monday: 1 TT lesson, Life Of Fred

Tuesday: 1 TT lesson, Money Matters for Teens, 1 chapter

Wednesday: 1 TT lesson, 1 lesson in Survival Math

Thursday: 1 TT lesson, 1 Sudoku puzzle

Friday: 1 TT lesson, 1 Life of Fred lesson (as scheduled in the home companion)

Once she completes Survival Math she will start a business math (I think possibly MUS Stewardship but not 100% positive. I heard SO much good about that program but I have time to decide yet)

My 5th graders schedule:

Monday: 1 TT lesson, 1 Chapter in Life of Fred

Tuesday: 1 TT lesson, 1 lesson Hands on Equations

Wednesday: 1 TT lesson, 1 Sudoku puzzle

Thursday: 1TT lesson, 1 lesson in Money Matters for Kids

Friday: 1 TT lesson, 1 Chapter in Life of Fred.

I am not sure what to do once she completes Money Matters for Kids but I will find something good. I might do some charts and graphs book but I am not positive yet. She got a lot of that before so I don't know that she needs it but it would be good practice regardless! I think I will get some Kumon word problems books as well once she finishes Life of Fred Fractions and Decimals & Percents. (This will be Dec or Jan I think)

I use Teaching Textbooks because my son enjoys it, and it's hands off for me. So I know math will get done even when I'm too busy to be really hands on with him. We are planning to supplement with Life of Fred (night time story reading!), Singapore, and Beast Academy. But we are math obsessed around here. :)

I used TT for 3 of my 4 kids (the youngest is too little). We switched to CLE and I had to back 2 kids down a level, and 1 down 2 levels! As another poster mentioned, TT never covered graphs...and what they did cover apparently wasn't reinforced enough nearly enough because all 3 kids had horrible retention issues. I used TT to give myself a break on a subject, to take a little pressure off during the day. I honestly wish I hadn't.

I don't think that TT teaches what is "on the test". It was designed for homeschoolers, so I think they aren't worried about state standards. You can always look at a "typical course study" for math for X grade and find free worksheets online for anything TT isn't going to cover.

When my dd has a problem with something, I supplement that. If she gets a particular type of problem wrong several times, I find some free worksheets or sit down and try to explain it to her. There is also no drill with TT, so you'll need to add that.

For us, other math programs were overkill. I've found that once a concept is explained, if she doesn't understand it after a few problems it needs to be explained again. She doesn't need to do 50 more of the same problem, it just frustrates her.

Every kid is different though, which is why it's good there are so many options :D.

thanks everyone! really helpful information. i am going to borrow life of fred from my friend, which is a huge blessing that i don't have to buy it! we have our CLE flashcards for division and times tables, so we will continue to drill with those. i will need to look up my state standards. i'm in FL, anyone know how to find that? then i can keep an eye out for any gaps in the scope & sequence. thanks wy kid wrangler for sharing your schedule. that was helpful!.:)

thanks to everyone that took the time to read and reply. i appreciate it greatly!