Menu

Laptop or Desktop

hsmom2011

Our desktop crashed. :glare:

We have one laptop, and our house is small. Since we have limited space, I thought maybe we would just invest in a second laptop. Before we do that, I'm wondering if there is a good reason why we should go with a desktop instead. Should we replace our old computer with another desktop, or should we go with a 2nd laptop?

When our desktop crashed, we bought a laptop and set it up all wireless. We really like it (we've since bought two more!). It is nice being able to take the computer w/ us to any old room we need and to space the kids out on their own computers in different areas so they don't disturb each other. We don't use our computers for much beyond word processing and web surfing so laptops fit the bill for us just fine :)

When our desktop crashed, we bought a laptop and set it up all wireless. We really like it (we've since bought two more!). It is nice being able to take the computer w/ us to any old room we need and to space the kids out on their own computers in different areas so they don't disturb each other. We don't use our computers for much beyond word processing and web surfing so laptops fit the bill for us just fine :)

Thanks! This is just what I was thinking - about all the freedom we would have with laptops over the desktop. I just wasn't sure if there was a good reason to keep a desktop in the house. I'm definitely leaning toward laptop. :)

Our desktop crashed. :glare:

We have one laptop, and our house is small. Since we have limited space, I thought maybe we would just invest in a second laptop. Before we do that, I'm wondering if there is a good reason why we should go with a desktop instead. Should we replace our old computer with another desktop, or should we go with a 2nd laptop?

It depends on you. I am tall and like to sit up straight and be sitting in front of a very large screen. My current one is 27" Can't get that in a laptop!

I don't like hunching over and looking at small screens. Not a laptop person at all. I will use them in a pinch (and we own one), but I prefer my desktop set-up.

Laptop CONs:

- battery and power cord both have limited life span. I've had to replace ours, on average every 24 mos. That runs $200ish for replacements from the original manufacturer (Dell), which is half the cost of the laptop to start with!

- they get dropped, knocked off the desk, etc.

- they are harder to control for the kids internet, etc. If you have a desktop in the family room, they can't very easily sneak it into the basement during a sleepover to surf the internet/etc.

- full size keyboard/mouse not standard

- smaller screen less ideal for movies and/or multitasking easily

- portability makes sharing more complex if you have multiple kids using it

- get less "bang for your buck" than a desktop

PROs:

- portability!! I love mine -- as I sit here on the couch with it!! :)

- small size (although there are some very small footprint desktops, too. My mom has one that is pretty much just a flat screen monitor (Huge) with built in everything to the sides, and a separate keyboard & mouse, of course.

For me, I like laptops for kids old enough to have their own individual computers (teens here in my house) and desktops for shared computers and/or for any computers that will never/very rarely be needed to be moved.

Well if you mean desktop as in the clunky big box, no I wouldn't buy that. If you go to Best Buy, they're hardly selling them anymore. For the same money you can have a laptop. However I have an imac, which is one of the all in ones from apple so you get a HUGE screen and the computer with optical drive, and it's AWESOME. I haven't used any of the Windows versions, but Best Buy had quite a few options for that when I was there. Our library has them (Dell maybe?), so they must be fine.

If you get curious about imacs, check them out in the refurb section of the apple store. That's how I bought mine.

Well if you mean desktop as in the clunky big box, no I wouldn't buy that. If you go to Best Buy, they're hardly selling them anymore. For the same money you can have a laptop. However I have an imac, which is one of the all in ones from apple so you get a HUGE screen and the computer with optical drive, and it's AWESOME. I haven't used any of the Windows versions, but Best Buy had quite a few options for that when I was there. Our library has them (Dell maybe?), so they must be fine.

If you get curious about imacs, check them out in the refurb section of the apple store. That's how I bought mine.

I am not familiar with these, I will have to check them out. Thanks. :)

I love that laptops can be easily carried to the repair shop.

I tend to buy a piece of junk every 2 years from Best Buy, and insure it with them. Because the laptop is cheap, the insurance is cheap. I find that there is ALWAYS something wrong or incompatible with every machine I buy. That's probably because I buy junk :tongue_smilie: But it's Best Buy's problem :lol:

No matter what I buy, the preinstalled software becomes outdated and incompatible in about 2 years. The computer wants to update, but can't. It runs hot because everything is clashing. I find it easier to just buy new junk every two years. I give my discards to the ladies at a local soup kitchen, often feeling guilty because I'm giving something I don't want to use anymore, but the ladies have told me to STOP thinking like that. If nothing else, used laptops are better gifts to homeless and recently housed women. If they don't know how to use it, they can carry it to someone that does.

I prefer my desktop and we'll be replacing our old one with an all-in-one from Dell. There is no tower, so it saves a lot of space. We do have a laptop. I don't like the keyboard and I always have to disable the touch pad or I end up deleting whole paragraphs in whatever document I am typing. LOL I have also had a ton of issues (from hard drive failure to programs not launching properly) on my laptop. My Dell desktop has been problem free and it's been alive for 8 years. Sadly, it's brain is muddled now and it's time to retire it. :(

I vote Laptop. We own two desktops and three laptops and I'm NEVER on either of the desktops. I like the freedom of being in any room in the house with a laptop. We have wireless mouses for our laptops and we can print to our printers from them as well. Everything is wireless now-a-days...I say go laptop!

I am having the same debate, right now, OP. I am going to go with a laptop, next. I think I am done with the big clunkers. I will keep my full size keyboard, speakers, and screen, to use, as needed.

This is what we did. Also, we bought a laptop with a large screen.

I love that laptops can be easily carried to the repair shop.

I tend to buy a piece of junk every 2 years from Best Buy, and insure it with them. Because the laptop is cheap, the insurance is cheap. I find that there is ALWAYS something wrong or incompatible with every machine I buy. That's probably because I buy junk :tongue_smilie: But it's Best Buy's problem :lol:

No matter what I buy, the preinstalled software becomes outdated and incompatible in about 2 years. The computer wants to update, but can't. It runs hot because everything is clashing. I find it easier to just buy new junk every two years. I give my discards to the ladies at a local soup kitchen, often feeling guilty because I'm giving something I don't want to use anymore, but the ladies have told me to STOP thinking like that. If nothing else, used laptops are better gifts to homeless and recently housed women. If they don't know how to use it, they can carry it to someone that does.

It sounds like you need a macbook! We have a macbook that's from 2006, and it's never had any problems. My iMac is even older and it's never been to the repair shop. Our other three macbooks are running like champs, no issues ever.

I actually gave the laptop to the kids and got myself a new desktop. Same $, 2X the speed/memory of a new laptop. When I had the old Laptop, I never carried it anywhere. I had to constantly worry about it overheating if I looked at it wrong. Granted I've heard the newer ones aren't so "picky" but I still like my bigger screen. Also if you play games at all make sure the Video card in a laptop is compatible with your favorite games. We can't play Minecraft or Sims 3 on the old laptop. A friend just bought an HP laptop, same problem.

When my desktop keeled over last year I replaced it with a laptop and I love it!! I also got dh a laptop around the same time, and it is funny how differently we use them in the house.

My laptop is basically set up exactly as a desktop. I got a laptop stand, so it sits at the regular monitor height, and I got a wireless keyboard and mouse that I use over 95% of the time. I also leaved it plugged in almost all of the time. I pretty much use it just like I used to use my desktop - I'm a desk worker, and I feel lost without everything all in its place around me & my paperwork spread out. :D I love that if I absolutely need to I can carry it somewhere else, though (like when the window shades were broken & the room was SO sunny and hot that I could hardly work at my desk, or when I traveled out of town to visit family but needed to take it to do some work on the way).

My husband went from using my desktop on occasion (when I wasn't on it and when he absolutely HAD to look something up - which wasn't very often back then!!) to using his laptop all over the house all the time. He uses it on the bed in the bedroom while I read next to him, then if I go to sleep before him he moves it to the couch in the living room. In the mornings, he usually uses it on the dining room table. He sometimes goes on a cooking spree, and he keeps the laptop on the island in the kitchen while he looks up recipes and cooks. It is CRAZY how much use he gets out of a computer now, looking back over the last year!! lol. He does plug it in pretty much wherever he goes, but he never bothers with a mouse or keyboard (just uses the pad & laptop keyboard).