Menu

Highlight of fair week--riding the draft horses

This was the highlight of our week at our local community fair. We were camping there for the week with our pony---a nice 13hh, 650 pound, 25 year old POA mare.

After the speed classes today the girls got a chance to ride some drafts horses. Jake the gray Percheron stands 18hh or more and weighs in at over 1 ton. Bullet the Clydesdale stands about 17hh and weights at about 1700 pounds. That is a lot of horse for girls that weight about 100 pounds.

The owners of these horses drive them but they also ride them and ran them speed today.........placing in many classes. There is nothing like watching a Clydesdale and Percheron barrel racing.

This was the highlight of our week at our local community fair. We were camping there for the week with our pony---a nice 13hh, 650 pound, 25 year old POA mare.

After the speed classes today the girls got a chance to ride some drafts horses. Jake the gray Percheron stands 18hh or more and weighs in at over 1 ton. Bullet the Clydesdale stands about 17hh and weights at about 1700 pounds. That is a lot of horse for girls that weight about 100 pounds.

The owners of these horses drive them but they also ride them and ran them speed today.........placing in many classes. There is nothing like watching a Clydesdale and Percheron barrel racing.

The mind boggles. :p

The horse people at the fair are wonderful. Everyone helps everyone else out.....even if they will be competing against you later in the day/week.

Several of the draft teams gave wagon rides in the morning to people at the fair and on Thursday for special needs day they even had a wagon with a wheelchair ramp so those in wheelchairs could ride too.

The family that owns these horses has 22 draft horses and a few standard riding horses. They have invited my girls to come over and ride several more of their drafts and then they will take the whole family out for a carriage ride out in the country.

I wish I had a video of these 2 drafts running speed classes---pole bending, flag race, barrel racing, and the dash race.

Riding the draft horses was a huge highlight of the week.

How awesome! I remember riding a draft horse with my son, and his little legs stuck straight out along the horse's back, his feet not even clearing the back :D.

We still have the draft horse collars from the working horses on our farm from the 1930's and 1940's in our barn, but those would be my Dad's memories rather than mine! I can barely lift those collars.

I had a Percheron Paint cross that I loved. He was the smoothest ride ever but sadly had to be put down just a few month after I bought him.

The girls had a wonderful time. Nothing like spending a full week at the fair in the barns.

Many of the Kentucky bred horses are close to this tall but only about half as wide :-)

These draft horses are massive. It is awesome to see them in a 4 hitch team as well.

So thankful my girls have such opportunities to interact with horses of all sizes.