Menu

Not sure if this was mentioned before:

Mango languages (available for free online if your local public library subscribes) now has Latin, biblical Hebrew, as well as Ancient Greek and Koine Greek (not sure what the difference is there). I live in Podunk USA and my local library has a Mango subscription, so check and see if yours does.

I've had an 'interesting' summer and have not been on here as much as I had been, so I wasn't sure if this had been noted yet or not.

This looks very good. My Podunk USA community library doesn't have it, but one the county over does.

I'm going to contact our library. I'm not sure how much an out-of-county library card is, but I'm going to check into it. I was trying to figure what to do for our foreign language studies this year, and I really like this!

ETA: It's $20/year for an out-of-county library card. I think we're definitely going to do it. Do you need separate library card numbers for each child taking a language course or can I just get one card?

Edited by sparrow

I don't see Latin. :confused:

From the page for libraries:

ANNOUNCING: Religious and Scholarly Language Collection brought to you exclusively by Mango Languages. These courses feature passages from ancient texts in Koine Greek, Ancient Greek, Latin, and Biblical Hebrew. This specialized collection brings life to documents and languages from the past.

I'm intigued because I have one that is very interested in Hebrew and local resources have been a bear to find! According to the site, our local library which is normally not worth squat, actually has Mango. So, how does it work? Is it an online program you use AT the library or can you subscribe and use it from home?

Faith

We've been using our library's access to this for several months.

Our 10 yo started with the basic level German & is now doing the "regular" Complete Level 1.0. There is also an early elementary level: Little Pim. He listens with headphones to hear the pronunciation of each word or sentence on the screen, and he takes notes to make it easy to review.

The beginner's level had the need for a microphone, so the child can practice accurate pronunciation. I realized this AM that he's not been speaking aloud for Level 1, so I am now asking him to read each screen out loud for me.

I think it's a decent beginning high school level, but I don't know how quickly it progresses. I'm just recommending it for what we are using it for.

Our small town library subscribes to MANY databases, even freegal and an e-reader to download music & books. All of it is accessed from our home computer, and/or from a computer at the library.:001_smile:

And in looking on the Mango website, they even list "Pirate" language?!? So they have a sense of humor.

Edited by Beth S

We have been using Mango for about 4 months and really like it. Right now the children use it for Greek, Spanish and French.

If the highschool student really utilizes all the attributes I don't see why it shouldn't qualify as a highschool course. For 2nd and 3rd years I would probably include a literature component.

Wait, the language menu has PIRATE! The dc and I just loaded the first lesson -- hilarious!

Yes, my kids love it! They get to do some pirate as a reward for completeing so many other lessons.

Our coop hosts a once a month language club at the library where they share what they are learning and try to bring a snack or item that goes along with their language.

You can use it online from home, which is a good thing because my library fines are um, a bit high at the moment. :D

I think if you wanted two different kids to study the same language and they went at different speeds you would find two different library cards handy. It records your last lesson studied for each language.

I'm so glad I was able to contribute something useful!

For some odd reason I had never even heard of Mango until now. I don't think the library info helps me up here, but I will still be looking into the course. Thanks.

Hebrew is long since covered in this house, but it might help me out with Greek and French.