Menu

If you've used Latina Christiana...

julie4

There are 25 lessons, I would like to do latin 4-5 days per week.Did you do the lesson & then spend the entire week reviewing & reinforcing? Or did you do more than 1 lesson per week? My kids are 12, 9 & 7 and this is their first exposure to latin.

Thanks,

Julie

My son did this program last year at a co-op. They did one lesson a week, starting off with a quiz of the previous material on a Monday. We would do the lesson over a few days, plus daily vocab. work with flashcards.

FWIW, this program really drove me crazy. If you haven't already invested in the materials, you may want to look at First Form. I think MP intended to replace LC1, but I could be wrong. I like the looks of FF, but I wound up going with Visual Latin for this year. We're only on lesson 3, but we like it. Of course, after a year of LC1 under the co-op, I think it makes taking any Latin less intimidating for him.

We did and are still doing one lesson per week - unless "Real Life" :tongue_smilie: kicks in (usually in the form of air unit flooding the basement, brackets coming off braces, etc) then we stretch.

I also purchased the Ludere Latina (that is probably not spelled correctly) to go along with each LC level. This is a lot of extra practice!! It is difficult to finish all of it in a week! Also there are other sites that offer free practice worksheets. There is PLENTY to do in a week! And you do not want to rush the grammar - even if the vocabulary and worksheets are completed quickly - spend a ton of time on the grammar - it builds up quickly!!

Memoria Press no longer recommends LC, but their new program First Form. I will finish using LC with dd 11 and also use it with dd8 when she finishes PL, because I already bought it!:001_smile: If you have not already bought it, I would look at FF because that is where the current support and developments are.

Stephanie - My son (just turned 10) has done about half of GSWL and is doing fine in FFL. I made the vocabulary into a memory-style game and he loves that. I haven't used LC yet. Has your 4th grader had any previous Latin, even if it's not an MP course?

I was going to use LC1 with a 4th grader as FF looked too intimidating! I know that MP uses FF in their 4th grade lesson plans so do you recommend FF over LC even for a 4th grader?

Stephanie

I did LCI w/my 4th grader last year (and with a class of older kids.) I wouldn't have done FF w/them before LCI. It was a good level for them and they learned a lot.

We did one lesson a week, and reinforced the lesson all week. I did the lesson part and spent about an hour on it each Friday (at co-op for us) then on Mondays she did the workbook. On Tues. she practiced vocabulary with the C.D. and on Wed. she filled in the grammar sheet from the teacher's book. She usually had Thurs. off, though we would still practice our prayer daily. Then the next lesson on Friday, and so on.

There are 25 lessons, I would like to do latin 4-5 days per week.Did you do the lesson & then spend the entire week reviewing & reinforcing? Or did you do more than 1 lesson per week? My kids are 12, 9 & 7 and this is their first exposure to latin.

Thanks,

Julie

My oldest just used LCI this past school year (4th grade). On Monday she would watch the video (taking profuse notes in her workbook, since it does not contain any of the teaching material), Tuesday and Wednesday she would each do two pages from Ludere Latine, Thursday she would do the supplemental review worksheet (available for purchase on the MP website), and Friday she would do the worksheet for that week from the free supplemental worksheets (also available on the MP website).

We did not get the videos or any of the other extras until partway through the year, and she (and I) really floundered until I did. I first downloaded the free worksheets from the MP website and learned more from the answer key than I had from the LC TM. I realized that my daughter needed a lot more practice than the workbook alone, so I bought the videos (which are priceless, IMHO), Ludere Latine, and the supplemental review worksheets. With my next child we are going to start the year with the above schedule, and I anticipate that it will go a lot smoother.

Thanks,

Julie

Don't forget there are five review lessons which brings your total to 30.

I taught the lesson (or had the DVD teach it) on the first day.

The following days, we went over vocab & grammar (including reviewing past vocab/grammar through chants & flashcards), the workbook page, wrote out our vocab words or played a game with the vocab, did more chants, and then we would sometimes do a few sentences/translations with the free pages from the MP site. (These were challenging, but really helped (ME) with understanding where LC was going with things.)

The final day, we'd take the quiz. We did latin 4x/week.

We listened to the CD in the car once a week - and I'd usually make them endure about 4 lessons worth of material (2 prior, 1 current, 1 future).

I wouldn't hesitate to use it again with kids who have gone through Prima Latina or who are younger than 5th grade. It was perfect for DD#1 last year (young 5th grader). It was a stretch for DD#2 (3rd grader). They both did PL the year prior. DD#1 is using Ludere Latine this year as a review to keep her latin fresh before starting FLL next year. DD#2 gets this year off & will either redo PL with dd#3 next year or do LC1 again next year.

We are just finishing up LC1 this year, and have had great success! Here's how we've attacked it:

First of all, we bought:

-LC Teacher's Manual, Student Text, and Pronunciation CD

-LC Flashcards

-Ludere Latine game book

-Cumulative Review worksheets

We planned on one lesson per week. A typical week looked like this:

Monday - New lesson teaching, intro new grammar, vocab, derivatives, etc. Fill out vocab & grammar drill sheets (form in teacher's manual)

Tuesday - Student text exercises for the lesson. Fill out second column of vocab & grammar drill sheets.

Wednesday - Vocab dictation (to review spelling/definitions), Parse strings (in Ludere book)

Thursday - Weekly Quiz, Grammar Crossword (in Ludere book)

Friday - Cumulative Review pages.

For us, the Ludere book and the Cumulative Review book were essential for practicing the grammar concepts. The flashcards were nice to review previous vocab. We also did the recitation every day to keep the declensions/conjugations fresh.

We should have the book finished in 30-31 weeks. After the first chapter or two, we got into the groove and things have gone smoothly.

We will start First Form when we're done with LC. The big question is whether we start right away after we're done or wait until we start up again in January.

My oldest just used LCI this past school year (4th grade). On Monday she would watch the video (taking profuse notes in her workbook, since it does not contain any of the teaching material), Tuesday and Wednesday she would each do two pages from Ludere Latine, Thursday she would do the supplemental review worksheet (available for purchase on the MP website), and Friday she would do the worksheet for that week from the free supplemental worksheets (also available on the MP website).

We did not get the videos or any of the other extras until partway through the year, and she (and I) really floundered until I did. I first downloaded the free worksheets from the MP website and learned more from the answer key than I had from the LC TM. I realized that my daughter needed a lot more practice than the workbook alone, so I bought the videos (which are priceless, IMHO), Ludere Latine, and the supplemental review worksheets. With my next child we are going to start the year with the above schedule, and I anticipate that it will go a lot smoother.

Thank you, I do have the cd's but I didn't know about the free worksheets from the MP website, on my way to find them. Thanks again!

We are just finishing up LC1 this year, and have had great success! Here's how we've attacked it:

First of all, we bought:

-LC Teacher's Manual, Student Text, and Pronunciation CD

-LC Flashcards

-Ludere Latine game book

-Cumulative Review worksheets

We planned on one lesson per week. A typical week looked like this:

Monday - New lesson teaching, intro new grammar, vocab, derivatives, etc. Fill out vocab & grammar drill sheets (form in teacher's manual)

Tuesday - Student text exercises for the lesson. Fill out second column of vocab & grammar drill sheets.

Wednesday - Vocab dictation (to review spelling/definitions), Parse strings (in Ludere book)

Thursday - Weekly Quiz, Grammar Crossword (in Ludere book)

Friday - Cumulative Review pages.

For us, the Ludere book and the Cumulative Review book were essential for practicing the grammar concepts. The flashcards were nice to review previous vocab. We also did the recitation every day to keep the declensions/conjugations fresh.

We should have the book finished in 30-31 weeks. After the first chapter or two, we got into the groove and things have gone smoothly.

We will start First Form when we're done with LC. The big question is whether we start right away after we're done or wait until we start up again in January.

Thank you for detailed schedule & which book to find them in, this is very helpful!

Whoa, there are a lot of enrichment materials out there for LC that I totally did not know existed! Thank you so much to everyone who suggested them, I'm so glad to know about them now. My daughter has been saying that latin is kind of boring because there's not a lot to do! Mwa ha ha ha, I'll show her!