Menu

Favorite things to do in San Francisco?

Golden Gate Park is great for walking, running, etc.

You could walk across the Golden Gate Bridge. Visit Pier 39. Hop on a cable car and go to Chinatown. Check out Ghirardelli Square.

Restaurant guides (vegan)

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/vegetarianism/restaurant-guides/san-francisco-vegan-restaurant-guide.html

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/california/san_francisco/

http://cafegratitude.com/

What a sweet surprise! We just went in May for a conference dh had to go to and had so much fun! I will admit that besides being with dh, my favorite part was laying in the hotel room in the quiet with my ipad and the remote! :) But our favorite things together were taking the ferry and walking around Sausalito, riding the cable cars every chance that we could (dh teased me b/c I refused to sit down on them. I only wanted to stand on the outside and hang onto one of the poles! ...such a tourist I know!), and poking around Chinatown. We also thoroughly enjoyed the huge farmer's market on Saturday morning. And it was really neat to walk out onto the Golden Gate Bridge. We kind of regret not walking/biking across, but we just didn't squeeze it in. Oh...and we loved eating in North Beach (San Fran. Little Italy)! We went twice for supper. One night we waited a looong time for pizza at Tony's (worth it!) and one night ate at a table on the sidewalk (can't remember the name of the restaurant)...so picturesque and fun!

I hope you have a wonderful time!

I love San Francisco!

I'm not a runner but there are tons of people running along the Embarcadero. I'm a big walker and love walking there.

We had a fun time walking across the Golden Gate Bridge. You can walk as far as you want and just turn around and come back. We actually walked the whole way across and back. I think it's about a 3 mile round trip. Make sure to dress in layers if you do this.

There is so much fantastic food in San Fran! I don't know about vegan options but I'm sure there are tons! I have a favorite coffee house in the Marina district called Grove Cafe. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have some vegan options (here's a menu)! There's some nice walking and shopping in that area!

I love the Japanese Gardens in Golden Gate Park.

It's just a great city! Do you know where you'll be staying?

Thank you! I am looking all of these suggestions up! Yes, he so sweet. We never really do anything except go somewhere to eat on our anniversary but this year he decided to surprise me. Our oldest left this morning for his junior year at college and our daughter left Saturday for her first year there. I might be a little sad these days. I imagine he felt it might be a good time for a trip. :) the 13 year old is going to grandma's and I plan to run, eat great food, see fantastic sights,and enjoy my marriage a little. Very excited. :D

Until this thread, I had not considered the farmers market! Where is it? We visited the one in Madison WI over the summer and decided that if we could on any level live with snow, we would move to such a community where they support that awesome farmers market. You know I want to go to the one in San Fran!

Until this thread, I had not considered the farmers market! Where is it? We visited the one in Madison WI over the summer and decided that if we could on any level live with snow, we would move to such a community where they support that awesome farmers market. You know I want to go to the one in San Fran!

There's a fantastic farmers' market at the foot of market street on that water at the ferry building. Lots and lots of yummies!!

There's a fantastic farmers' market at the foot of market street on that water at the ferry building. Lots and lots of yummies!!

Totally worth it!!!

If you like shopping, Union Square is good. You could take a cruise/boat ride on the bay. Alcatraz is interesting. Museums - SFMoMA, de Young, etc. There's a Disney Family museum on The Presidio ;). We like Crissy Airfield too. There are bus tours that are fun if you don't want to drive.

Totally worth it!!!

If you like shopping, Union Square is good. You could take a cruise/boat ride on the bay. Alcatraz is interesting. Museums - SFMoMA, de Young, etc. There's a Disney Family museum on The Presidio ;). We like Crissy Airfield too. There are bus tours that are fun if you don't want to drive.

Alcatraz is on the list, for sure. I just deciphered SFMoMA! :D gonna have to go there, now. :D

Alcatraz is on the list, for sure. I just deciphered SFMoMA! :D gonna have to go there, now. :D

Sorry! I remember when I first moved here. People were saying things like "on the peninsula", the East Bay, etc. There's 680, 880, 580, 280, and a slew of other interstates!

After awhile you forget that others don't know the lingo ;)

If you like Indian food try this crazy restaurant: http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=3307

It's not all vegan, but it's soooo good. The owner is insane, he may spoon feed you, or better yet, your husband! :lol: My kids are still cracking up about my (macho ;)) husband being fed like a baby by another man.

There's also Una Napoletana, they have a vegan pizza. This is a good spot for pizza snobs. :001_smile:

I love virtually everything that has been suggested so far (though I can't think of any good vegan options in North Beach, they probably exist).

If you find yourself with a bit of extra time, you could always check out the Pirate Supply Store. It is a really fun, silly, small shop in a funky neighborhood, that supports a non-profit writing center for children.

http://826valencia.org/store/

If you like Indian food try this crazy restaurant: http://www.happycow.net/reviews.php?id=3307

It's not all vegan, but it's soooo good. The owner is insane, he may spoon feed you, or better yet, your husband! :lol: My kids are still cracking up about my (macho ;)) husband being fed like a baby by another man.

There's also Una Napoletana, they have a vegan pizza. This is a good spot for pizza snobs. :001_smile:

Oh, my goodness! I read the reviews...looks like it is making the itinerary! Lunch buffet AND vegan entrees! I am in! My husband loves Indian food, he will be ecstatic.

I love virtually everything that has been suggested so far (though I can't think of any good vegan options in North Beach, they probably exist).

If you find yourself with a bit of extra time, you could always check out the Pirate Supply Store. It is a really fun, silly, small shop in a funky neighborhood, that supports a non-profit writing center for children.

http://826valencia.org/store/

Now, how cool is that!

Now, how cool is that!

Mega-cool, I say. They also have a Time Travel shop in Los Angeles, a Superhero Supply shop in New York, a Boring Store (absolutely not a Spy Shop) in Chicago, and a couple others that I can't remember right now.

I bought Barbarian Repellant in LA, and have had absolutely no trouble with ravaging hordes!

Dh and I have been to San Fran three times, and the only time we were able to get into Alcatraz was the time we bought tickets ahead of time online.

We also love Pier 39 and Ghiradelli (sp?) square. We went twice 10 years apart and encountered the same street performer! We call him "Starvin Marvin". ;)

Dh and I have been to San Fran three times, and the only time we were able to get into Alcatraz was the time we bought tickets ahead of time online.

We also love Pier 39 and Ghiradelli (sp?) square. We went twice 10 years apart and encountered the same street performer! We call him "Starvin Marvin". ;)

Going there now for tickets! Thank you!

Mad Charity, do you mind if I jump in on this thread? I also just found out that we will be going to San Francisco for a long weekend in September. Could anyone add suggestions for things that 11 and 15 year old boys would enjoy? (sadly, not an anniversary trip for us - the kids and I are tagging along on dh's business trip)

Mad Charity, do you mind if I jump in on this thread? I also just found out that we will be going to San Francisco for a long weekend in September. Could anyone add suggestions for things that 11 and 15 year old boys would enjoy? (sadly, not an anniversary trip for us - the kids and I are tagging along on dh's business trip)

The Exploratorium is my dh's favorite thing to do :D I've always wanted to go to the Cal Academy (science museum).

Going for sushi at Ariake, and visiting the Wind Harp in South San Francisco. * Oh, and for running, go to the Sports Basement near the Presidio. Lots of runners take off/return to there. They have cool stuff for every sport there.

Oh, and does avoiding my MIL count? :tongue_smilie: (I'm in a devlish mood).

*The 49er Roll is worth the plane ticket for me. But they have veg. options too.

My sweet husband has surprised me with a long weekend there for our anniversary. :hurray::hurray: We love the suggestions in Frommers, renting bikes, walking, and public transportation and such. Any advice? Favorite running routes? Food? We are vegan and love microbreweries :D

The Jeremiah O'Brien is docked there and offers tours. Right next to it is the sub "Pampanito" if you are interested in a bit of history while there.

The Exploratorium is fun even for adults. Golden Gate Park is seemingly endless and there is Chinatown (I am saturated on that kind of stuff but if you have never seen it, it may be interesting), Benihana (Japanese Restaurant), bay trips under the Golden Gate and around Alcatraz. To get a tour on Alcatraz you used to have to book months in advance - don't know what the current status is.

The Italian quarter has good food IMHO.

This is my home town you are talking about!

1. Alcatraz. Plan to spend some time there, do the audio tour but also look around quite a bit.

2. Food. Go to Chinatown and have dim sum. Go to Greens for the best vegetarian food around. Go to Scoma's out at the wharf for seafood--that's the one that all the locals go to.

3. Academy of Science--awesome rainforest exhibit plus other changing exhibits.

4. Exploratorium--the best science museum for physics that I have ever seen anywhere.

5. Lobbies of old hotels--these are magnificent. Hit the Fairmont and the Mark Hopkins on Nob Hill, and my personal favorite--the Sheraton Palace Hotel.

6. Cable car ride and a trip to the cable car museum. The cable cars are the only moving national landmark in the country.

7. Golden Gate Bridge--walk across. Then walk back. (not if it's foggy, though)

8. If you can go a little further afield, Muir Woods has the only old growth redwoods that I know of that are still left in the Bay Area. It's in Marin County just north of SF.

9. Maritime Museum down at the Wharf.

10. Coit Tower--depression-era murals and military significance

As usual, your advice was awesome! I would have needed to check a couple of weeks in advance for Alcatraz tickets, so that was a no go. :thumbdown: We took off our first morning to rent bikes to ride to the Golden Gate bridgeand were too early (we can't stop waking up early, even on vacation) and ended up walking from Fisherman's Wharf to and across the bridge and then all the way to Sausalito! We had a fantastic cup of coffee and a bagel there with the most spectacular view EVER. Our tired bones said to take the ferry back. :D and what do you know? There's a bar on the ferry! Had a fantastic local ipa and headed back to the hotel. :cheers2:

We ate everywhere and enjoyed every meal. We loved the public transportation in San Fran! Bought a clipper card and had no problems. We loved the awesome Thai restaurant we found in North Beach. The farmers market at the Ferry Building was simply awesome and the vegan donuts...what is more awesome? :D Chinatown was uh...busy! I knew what the temps would be and took warm clothes but we still froze our butts off. The World's Cup was happening which made our morning runs super interesting and the breathtaking view of the bay made it hard to head back for a shower. The Occupy Protesters made me laugh, the homeless people were plentiful but never intimidating, and the diversity of the city was fantastic.

We got to meet up with some dear old friends before we left and had a wonderful trip. note: I am too old to ever take a red eye home and have to work all day after. Not a great way to come home!

Lucky you. Tourists are gone and the weather is usually warm(ish) in September. Exploratorium, Cal Academy (expensive but worth it), bike across the Golden Gate, Alcatraz, Pier 39 for boat tours and the sea lions. Try to catch a ball game--AT&T Park is amazing. Be prepared to do a lot of walking and bring a jacket.

Christine