Menu

Seriously?

I just called the superintendent's office because I haven't received my letter to homeschool yet and school starts Wed (I sent it in in June). The woman I talked to said I would have to call back tomorrow and talk to the one woman who would be able to help. I asked if she could just tell me whether or not they received my letter of intent. Her response was "I don't have access to that information but she do."

Seriously?!

I just called the superintendent's office because I haven't received my letter to homeschool yet and school starts Wed (I sent it in in June). The woman I talked to said I would have to call back tomorrow and talk to the one woman who would be able to help. I asked if she could just tell me whether or not they received my letter of intent. Her response was "I don't have access to that information but she do."

Seriously?!

On a related note, be sure to send correspondence such as that via USPS Certified Mail with returned signature receipt. It costs a few dollars, but you will know if/when they received it and who signed for it.

Does the law in OH specify that you need to receive a letter from the school? because here in VA, we are required to notify the district (not the school) but they are not actually required to acknowledge that they received it. Most districts do, but sometimes not until november. there is only 1 or maybe 2 ppl in the whole district who deal with that paperwork and no, no one else would know.

we also always use certified mail and keep a copy of the letter, so that if there is a problem, you can prove that you sent it and it was received.

Does the law in OH specify that you need to receive a letter from the school? because here in VA, we are required to notify the district (not the school) but they are not actually required to acknowledge that they received it. Most districts do, but sometimes not until november. there is only 1 or maybe 2 ppl in the whole district who deal with that paperwork and no, no one else would know.

we also always use certified mail and keep a copy of the letter, so that if there is a problem, you can prove that you sent it and it was received.

Glancing through HSLDA, it looks like she DOES need to hear back from them as to whether or not her plan has been "approved".

OP, I hope you are able to get this straightened out quickly!

Seriously?!

I am thinking the OP was saying "Seriously?" in response to the atrocious grammar of the school district representative.

Kind of crazy that these are the people who want to assure our children are receiving an adequate education! LOL!!

To the OP, I hope your letter comes soon without any more hassles. But honestly, a little part of me is wondering if those admins in charge of answering the phone will be the ones drafting them - and if so, how many mistakes it will have in it. :lol:

Wow that's a long time to wait for a letter. Down here in Chesapeake, I always get mine back within a week of sending in my NOI. I wish they would find a way to go with online NOIs like other states have.

To the OP, sorry about the hassle sometimes things like this can be a real pain.

I am thinking the OP was saying "Seriously?" in response to the atrocious grammar of the school district representative.

Kind of crazy that these are the people who want to assure our children are receiving an adequate education! LOL!!

To the OP, I hope your letter comes soon without any more hassles. But honestly, a little part of me is wondering if those admins in charge of answering the phone will be the ones drafting them - and if so, how many mistakes it will have in it. :lol:

Well, in all fairness, it's possible that the person who answered the phone is an assistant without much education and with no student contact.

I haven't received a response to my Letter of Intent either. I sent it in mid July. In the past, I have received a letter of acknowledgement within a few weeks. I have a copy of the paperwork I sent, a receipt saying I sent it certified mail, and a printout from USPS showing when it was delivered. I asked dh if I should contact the school and he said, "No, you did what was required by law and you aren't responsible for making sure they do their job."

I haven't received a response to my Letter of Intent either. I sent it in mid July. In the past, I have received a letter of acknowledgement within a few weeks. I have a copy of the paperwork I sent, a receipt saying I sent it certified mail, and a printout from USPS showing when it was delivered. I asked dh if I should contact the school and he said, "No, you did what was required by law and you aren't responsible for making sure they do their job."

:iagree:

As far as the Ohio law goes, they have 14 days to respond. You are good to go as far as homeschooling goes. They have not complied with the law. You have. If any problems do crop up, which I doubt they will, it is technically to late to do anything because they have passed the 14 day period. I always send my notice of intent certified so I can prove that I sent the letter.

Also, in Ohio we are not seeking approval to homeschool. We are simply letting them know that we are going to homeschool and assuring them we will follow the requirments. They in turn are just supposed to send a letter acknowledging they have received your notice of intent. Some districts like to think they are granting "permission" with those letters but they really aren't.:glare:

But yes, saying "she do" is quite atrocious.

Edited by Meandering Mom
typed fast, many errors

Ok, guess I read too quickly to notice the grammatical error. I thought the complaint was about the paperwork.

But i would LOVE to get my notice back in 2 weeks! Last year actually it was less than a month, but thats pretty rare. I guess its been about 3 weeks now . . .

As far as the Ohio law goes, they have 14 days to respond. You are good to go as far as homeschooling goes. They have not complied with the law. You have. If any problems do crop up, which I doubt they will, it is technically to late to do anything because they have passed the 14 day period. I always send my notice of intent certified so I can prove that I sent the letter.

Also, in Ohio we are not seeking approval to homeschool. We are simply letting them know that we are going to homeschool and assuring them we will follow the requirments. They in turn are just supposed to send a letter acknowledging they have received your notice of intent. Some districts like to think they are granting "permission" with those letters but they really aren't.:glare:

But yes, saying "she do" is quite atrocious.

The bolded drives me nuts!! The previous district we lived in was so nice with such a nice letter. My current district acts like they are grudgingly granting me permission and practically state that they could do a better job. Ugh. I have yet to send mine in. I send it with a return receipt. I always send mine the week that school starts. My theory is that they are so busy getting school started that they will just take a cursory glance at my stuff. ;)

Glancing through HSLDA, it looks like she DOES need to hear back from them as to whether or not her plan has been "approved".

OP, I hope you are able to get this straightened out quickly!

No, they have 14 days to respond, and if they don't, you are good to go. It's always better to read the original code than use HSLDA.

Of course, you need proof that you mailed it to begin with, and most people want the letter for discounts (Ohio bookstores and such know to ask for the letter.)

He do, she don't, etc. are very common in our area. It drove me nuts when we first moved here, but you learn to hear it and keep going. :lol: The story is that they bused people up from the hills to work in the paper mills, and the influence stuck. When the newspaper editor (who historically would have been one of the most educated gentlemen in town) says it, you know it runs deep.

Schools have trouble attracting the best candidates for secretarial and other jobs because the pay is lower these days. Sad, but true.

Edited by angela in ohio

I didn't get that idea from the OP. More likey, they have faced budget cuts and there is no one to send the form.