Menu

OT: Anybody here going back to college, homeschooling and have a part time job?

Dh and I are talking about me going back to college part time on top of homeschooling and working part time.

I clean a church building 5 to 6 days a week. I do have an associates degree (in Applied Science). However if I decide to go back to college it would be something medical where I can work at nights instead of days.

Just wondering if this is really doable as I do not want to be cleaning at age 50. I do not make good money doing it and it is so hard to work for a church as they do not see value in their cleaning crew expecially those that supervise on the weekends (I supervise every other weekend).

Holly

I got my pre-req's for nursing school while homeschooling, but I didn't have a part-time job. I did have a baby/toddler at the time, though, and a husband who worked a LOT of hours (Army).

Do what you need to do to follow your dreams. If you can dictate your notes into an mp3 player, you could listen and study while you clean, doubling your time and effort.

I'd advise you to start now, start small, and head down the path to where you want to end up. If you don't at least start that direction, you'll never get there.

Yep. I work part-time (about 25 hours a week) outside the home, as a grocery clerk. Decent pay, but hours that flip-flop all over the place. I am taking this summer off from school, but am normally in college full-time, and will be again by late August. I am going for a teaching credential. Currently I am looking for a different pt job, with normal hours, so that we can have regular "school" times in our daily routine (currently an un-routine with changing schedules!).

And we've homeschooled for the last couple of years. The more organized I get the easier it is. Though I'd never actually say it's easy - it is more of a constant juggling act. It is worth it tough. I can eventually have a career - hopefully as an independant study teacher for a school like the charter one my kids take classes from - rather than just a job that I do merely for the money. Plus, if things do ever go downhill in California, I'll still legally be able to teach my own kids! ;)

I am currently trying to get our homeschooling schedule down to a "science". And enlist the assistance of my parents for certain subjects so that I can go back to school. I finished nearly 3 years of college, then took "a year off" so that I could figure out exactly what I wanted to DO with my life. Found my husband in the meantime, got married at 20 years old... and the rest is history. :D

Fourteen years & 3 kids later... here I am, still on that "year long" hiatus. It's sort of like Gilligan's Island and that infamous "3-hour tour!!" :lol:

My plan is to start small. As in, very small. One or two classes the first semester while we all adjust to the changes and see how much we can handle.

I've been planning this for 2 years now. I need to, as a poster before me said, just get started. Otherwise, I will never get to the goal. :willy_nilly:

Good luck to you!! I hope you find a way to make it happen! :)

Not to be a wet blanket on your fire, but not everyone can do it all. Usually, something suffers. In my house, when I worked, it was my kids...and my kids were in ps at the time. I'm an obsessed business owner and it ruled me 24/7.

When I decided that I would not sacrifice my children on the altar of my career, I closed up shop. All was good, because a few months later I was a homeschool mom.

Your children's lives go by really fast. I don't want you to shortchange them or miss the best parts.

If you do go to school, can you take it slow and cause fewer ripples? Or hit it hard and fast and get it over with quickly?

Blessings as you choose. It is not easy being the mom.

Dh and I are talking about me going back to college part time on top of homeschooling and working part time.

I clean a church building 5 to 6 days a week. I do have an associates degree (in Applied Science). However if I decide to go back to college it would be something medical where I can work at nights instead of days.

Just wondering if this is really doable as I do not want to be cleaning at age 50. I do not make good money doing it and it is so hard to work for a church as they do not see value in their cleaning crew expecially those that supervise on the weekends (I supervise every other weekend).

Holly

It's doable, not always easy, though. I work, sometimes a lot. We manage, and the kids are much happier homeschooling than when they were in school anyway. I wish we could be one of those families that does school mornings and then have the rest of the day free, but it doesn't work that way for us. We have to do things when we can. We use a CM approach, fwiw.

Best,

Anita

It's doable, not always easy, though. I work, sometimes a lot. We manage, and the kids are much happier homeschooling than when they were in school anyway. I wish we could be one of those families that does school mornings and then have the rest of the day free, but it doesn't work that way for us. We have to do things when we can. We use a CM approach, fwiw.

Best,

Anita

I too wish we could be one of those families that "do school" in the mornings and are done! And I have also found using a more CM type approach to help (short lessons!)

Is that something you have to do right now? Personally I would be very reluctant to take on working, getting a degree, and also homeschooling, taking care of the house, cleaning, caring for your children, etc. I consider homeschooling itself to be very much a full-time job, deserving of every bit of time and effort I can muster to do it as well as I possibly can. I know for sure that *I* could not do what I desire for my children and do both of those additional things. I have tried just working part-time a few times, and that has even been extremely difficult for me.

I'd think very carefully before extending yourself further, unless you really have a pressing reason to do that right now.

Erica

Is that something you have to do right now? Personally I would be very reluctant to take on working, getting a degree, and also homeschooling, taking care of the house, cleaning, caring for your children, etc. I consider homeschooling itself to be very much a full-time job, deserving of every bit of time and effort I can muster to do it as well as I possibly can. I know for sure that *I* could not do what I desire for my children and do both of those additional things. I have tried just working part-time a few times, and that has even been extremely difficult for me.

I'd think very carefully before extending yourself further, unless you really have a pressing reason to do that right now.

Erica

I've worked part-to-full-time during most of out homeschooling journey and done college classes with professional certifications over the last few years, and frankly it's not a road I would have chosen willingly. DH is disabled though with many medical problems, and it has always been part of our back-up plan if he couldn't work and is now essential to our ability to keep up with his medical bills (over $1000 in just May after insurance paid their part).

If academic excellence is a priority for your children, you have an uphill battle. IMHO it's very hard to do everything well if you homeschool, work, and go to school. Personally, I've chosen to not be a superstar in my jobs and aim only for passing my courses and certifications. I get "upper middle" reviews at work. I am not a super student and barely passed one certification exam awhile back. My children always come first.

Many medical degrees require clinicals near the end with very long hours that really aren't compatible with homeschooling, so keep that in mind.

Erica

I totally agree thus why I was asking this question. I do not want to be cleaning when I am 50 or when the kids graduate. There has be to something I can do at nights that will build up my experience while homeschooling and bringing money in. I work part time cleaning a church so I would love to get out of that.

I agree that homeschooling IS a full time job and I love it!!!! I thought about applying at the hospital for some night time job doing whatever they need me to do but not sure what is there though. I do not make good money cleaning but I do love my boss!! :confused: aaarrrggg!! Life is very confusing isn't it??

:001_unsure: oh well...

Holly