Menu

Educational Videos, filling hours

We are, as part of the requirements of our virtual school, supposed to have 6.5 hours of "learning time" each day. For my 5th grader, this is not an issue. She struggles with school and her assignments actually take that long. However, my "schooly" second grader is really zipping through the work. Of course, I could assign her the next lesson, but I don't quite feel that is fair. I've been looking for online sources of educational videos, but I'm struggling to fill the time. She is reading fairly well, but asking my active 2nd grader to sit and read for 2-3 hours a day is just not going to work.

Basically, I need suggestions to fill 2-3 hours of learning time each day with worthwhile, interesting activities. It would be a bonus if she could do these activities at least somewhat independently.

what does she do the rest of the day.

crafts? wouldn't that be art

how much time does she help with meal prep? a lot of math skills : patterns = setting the table, measuring, etc.

does she play an instrument?

does she read for fun?

do anything physical

If you chart all her activities I'm sure they'd fit in some educational category to make up the day. I'm not sure you need to create new activities to monitor, but I don't know your exact requirements.

When we feel we've had enough of the traditional academics, we turn to:

• Foreign languages
  • Musical instruments
  • Internet research on topics of interest
  • Yoga and dance videos for kids
  • While my accelerated learner isn't artsy, another idea is to assign arts/crafts related to academics. For example, if you read a book that describes something physical, then there could be an art activity (or even Lego activity) to represent how the building/town/whatever might have looked.
  • Another idea is cooking/baking - this could count as reading, math, science, following directions, etc.
  • Storybooks that teach math concepts. We love the Mathstart series (Levels 2 and 3) and I'm getting ready to introduce the Sir Cumference stories. To keep things interesting, we sometimes use toys to illustrate the concepts.

I wonder how playing my little ponies and fairies would fit into educational frameworks. :)

It's funny that this kid does schoolwork effortlessly, but the rest of her day is just being a little kid. She does read, and enjoys it, but gets tired of it, because she is very much 7 years old.

I guess I can make her draw for 20-30 minutes a day.

I wonder how playing my little ponies and fairies would fit into educational frameworks. :)

It's funny that this kid does schoolwork effortlessly, but the rest of her day is just being a little kid. She does read, and enjoys it, but gets tired of it, because she is very much 7 years old.

I guess I can make her draw for 20-30 minutes a day.

Does she enjoy audiobooks? I'd throw on an audiobook while she played and consider that literature. Also I consider reading together as a family school time even if it's done after hours. 45 minutes of read aloud at bedtime is 45 more minutes of school.

I wonder how playing my little ponies and fairies would fit into educational frameworks. …

Does she make up stories / dialogue playing with ponies and fairies? That's creative arts.

Ponies fits into equine science!

Fairies have wings - that's aviation.

(I'm joking with the last two, but she probably is getting some creative arts there!)

OK, I know that lying is an ugly word, but I don't see any reason to penalize a kid for getting her work done early, so I would be inclined to give her a reasonable amount of work each day, and when she's done, it would count as the full 6.5 hours.

:iagree: PS kids may be at school for 6-7 hours, but they are most certainly not working that entire time. If you are giving her a reasonable amount of work and she's finishing it, then I'd just let it be. I wouldn't try to fill her with hours of busy work. There's a lot of value in letting a kid be a kid.

:iagree: PS kids may be at school for 6-7 hours, but they are most certainly not working that entire time. If you are giving her a reasonable amount of work and she's finishing it, then I'd just let it be. I wouldn't try to fill her with hours of busy work. There's a lot of value in letting a kid be a kid.

I totally agree with that.