Menu

"Fudgey" frosting recipe?

Yes! A ganache type frosting.

This will make just shy of 3 cups

12 ounces or 340 grams good chocolate, I use a bittersweet

13.5 ounces or 385 grams heavy cream

optional espresso/coffee or cognac - one tblsp

Chop the chocolate finely. Heat cream to the boiling point, pour over chocolate and mix. Stir in optional. The coffee does something amazing to chocolate. Cool several hours until of frosting consistency. If you would like this a bit lighter, you can lightly whip it, but not too much.

I also have a lighter method that makes for a less fudgy, more fluffy.

This recipe is from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible.

People have been telling me this comes out fudgie-- ESP if refrigerated before spreading.

I have to credit the Chocolate Cake Doctor, Ann Byrne. I rewrote the directions to work for me and added a pinch of salt.

Sift 3C confectioner's sugar and set aside. Measure out 2/3C Hershey's cocoa powder and set aside (works fine with no sifting. I have tried Giarhdelli, and it makes a less intense, but granier chocolate somehow). Measure 1/3C sour cream, set aside.

Melt 1 stick of butter, remove from heat (stove top or microwave doesn't matter). Off of heat, whisk in chocolate until thoroughly blended. In mixer bowl, add sugar, sour cream ~1 tsp or less salt, and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix on low speed until blended, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides, beat on higher speeds until fluffy. Feel free to add sugar or additional sour cream to taste for sweetness or texture, but remember to really whip it in the mixer-- it will take on a light but fudgie texture.

Original recipe claims about 3C but I never get quite that much. I can comfortably frost a 13x9, or stretch it a bit and cover two 9" layers.

Ingredients (out of order):

1 stick butter

1/3 C sour cream

2/3 C Hershey's baking chocolate

Pinch salt

1 tsp vanilla

3 C confectioner's sugar

Stand (preferred) or powerful hand mixer

Some way to melt butter

Sifter

I second the suggestion for ganache. I use 9oz of chocolate (chips or chopped) and 8oz of whipping cream (heavy, 35%). Just heat the cream, pour over the chocolate, stir until melted and chill just until it's a frosting consistency. I put it on brownies and it is fabulous.

Here is a really good recipe for fudge frosting! It frosts a 9 x 13 cake.

-2 squares baking chocolate

-1/2 cup brown sugar

-1/4 cup water

-1.5 cup powdered sugar

-2 Tablespoons butter

-1 tsp vanilla

Put first 3 ingr in saucepan. When it comes to a boil, cook for 3 more minutes. Remove from burner, add butter and vanilla. Cool. Add powdered sugar and blend until smooth. Spread on cooked cake. If thick, add small amounts of water or milk.

My recipee:

2 cups of sugar

1 stick of butter

1/2 cup of milk

3 Tb of cocoa

Put in pot on stove and boil. Stir continuously for five minutes. Remove from heat, add 1 tsp of vanilla, and put pot in bowl of ice water. (Want to cool it very quickly.) Stir until it gets hard to stir. Remove and frost cake. If you stir too much, it will harden into fudge. The tricky bit is stirring enough but not too long. But it's really, really good.