Menu

Is Our Children Learning Enough Grammar to Get Hired?

When reading all of the associated articles this made me :confused::001_huh::rolleyes:

After we pat ourselves on the back for upholding grammar standards, how many of us can really justify barring someone from a decent job because he or she isn’t always clear on the difference between “your†and “you’re� Especially when it’s more likely the fault of the individual’s education than laziness?

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/08/13/is-our-children-learning-enough-grammar-to-get-hired/good-applicants-with-bad-grammar

Aren't contractions taught as early as 1st/2nd grade? After ten to eleven more years of schooling shouldn't you know the difference between "your" and "you're"? Are schools really that bad that not knowing this is the fault of the schools?

Aren't contractions taught as early as 1st/2nd grade? After ten to eleven more years of schooling shouldn't you know the difference between "your" and "you're"?

My oldest was partially enrolled in our local high school a couple of years ago. Every month an email from the high school principal would go out to all the parents. The email always began with the statement, "Your invited..."

I think it is valid and fair of employers. Most employers want to hire people who are educated and capable of critical thinking. It's nothing new that first impressions matter in getting a job. In this digital age, the resume and application is more important than ever as a first impression. At the very least, it shows a lack of effort to edit before sending it. In the current economy literally hundreds to thousands of people are trying to get each job. Weeding out the ones that can't or won't edit is no different from weeding out those who can't or won't completely fill out the application properly.

My oldest was partially enrolled in our local high school a couple of years ago. Every month an email from the high school principal would go out to all the parents. The email always began with the statement, "Your invited..."

And no one corrected him?!:001_huh: I might not the first time..or the second time.. But yikes, I don't think I'd be able to control the impulse for the entire school year!

ETA: obviously a lack of patience for authority is another reason I didn't stick with public schooling. ;p

And no one corrected him?!:001_huh: I might not the first time..or the second time.. But yikes, I don't think I'd be able to control the impulse for the entire school year!

ETA: obviously a lack of patience for authority is another reason I didn't stick with public schooling. ;p

:iagree:

I found it amusing to see how long the emails would continue before someone clued her in on the basic rules of grammar. They went on all year. No one corrected her - she was instead promoted! She is now the Assistant Super and is also in charge of the "gifted" program. :001_huh:

One year in PS, my son had a teacher who sent home full page weekly newsletters RIDDLED with grammatical errors. It was *all* I could do not to mark them up with a red pen and drop them anonymously on her desk.

Needless to say, that was when we started thinking about homeschooling again...

:iagree: