Menu

Teaching Textbooks questions...

frugalmama

I'm strongly thinking of switching dd to teaching textbooks - she tested into their math 3 even though she's only going into 2nd. I have a few questions if anyone can answer them.

What's the difference between TT & TT 2.0? How do you tell which is which?

Does TT run a grade level behind? Does it give a good instruction vs. Saxon?

We are going into our 3rd year with TT.

I can't answer your first question as I don't know what the difference is.

I, personally, believe TT is at grade level. We have used 4th and 5th so far, and dd has tested well each year. We are not a genius math family, nor a struggling math family, just your ordinary Joe ;)

We used Saxon for 2nd and 3rd. I couldn't understand what they wanted me to teach sometimes, let alone get it across to my dd. Plus, Saxon taught some math different than what I had been taught. It was not my favorite. TT, so far, has always been clear in its instruction. I like that I can repeat the lesson or pause the lesson in order to help dd if she is stuck.

It has been an excellent fit for my dd. I am hopeful that this will be our math through high school.

I've just started using TT3 with my 6 1/2 year old this summer. I do think it's not "on par" grade level wise with Saxon, but that's okay with me. Just place your kid into the book *called* 3, who cares what the name is! :) I think there are more concerns (justified or not, I have no idea... !) that when you get to higher level math TT does not perhaps adequately cover complex topics or prepare your children for ACT/SAT type tests as well as Saxon might.

BUT.

For lower grade levels? After spending far too many hours researching this topic myself (I'm a compulsive researcher and curriculum junkie!)... I feel comfortable that TT will teach what I want it too. At least through Level 7, then I'll reevaluate. I do think it moves a bit slow so plan to accelerate and supplement the program a bit (but I LOVE math, it's an area I can never get enough of!). If you look at the table of contents for books 3/4/5/6/7 online, you will see there is quite a bit of repeat an overlap between them.

There's my 2 cents, for what it's worth!

BTW - TT does have a 30 day money back guarantee. So just order it and try it out right away when it shows up. If your child likes it and enjoys doing math that's more than half the battle, right?!

2.0 refers to the new version of TT which is self grading. I have used both and there is not really any other difference that I have noticed. I think the content is the same and the problems are the same - you are just paying more to get the 2.0 version so that it grades the students problems for you.

I also think that it falls a bit behind Saxon and other curriculum. My daughter finished singapore math 4B then tested into TT math 7.

TT has replaced the old versions of Prealgebra, Alg I, & Alg II with 2.0 versions which are all online/self-graded; they have also added new lessons and more problems to the 2.0 versions. The elementary programs have always been in the newer (self-grading) format — there's no "2.0" version for the elementary programs.

There is a difference of opinion around here (to put it mildly :tongue_smilie:) as to the level of TT, but IMHO it does run somewhat behind most other curricula, and well behind programs like Singapore. E.g., my DS tested into TT Prealgebra after MM5, and even then he was bored by so much basic review. Luckily, MM6 was released soon after that and we switched back to MM.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Look, I'm using TT pretty happily with my dd (who tests quite well, no complaints), but I SURE wouldn't use it with a dc who is 5 and testing multiple grades ahead in math. Put her into more challenging and appropriate to her ability level.

That's all.

Whatever, I can think of some arguments for it. I just wouldn't, not in that situation. There's a lot stronger, more thorough math options that will get her thinking more.

Personally, I don't get why it matters IF it runs a grade level behind or not, as long as you know where to place your child. If your child is in 3rd grade but TT4 is a better fit, put him in TT4. *Shrug* :confused:

This is our first year using TT for my 3rd grader and 4th grader and I'm not sure what I think yet in terms of grade level. They are using their grade level and there are some things they already know, some they know but could use the practice, and some new concepts. But we are only into it maybe 10 lessons or so.

Besides, as far as I know, there are barely any 2 math curricula that follow the exact same sequence, let alone pace. If they don't teach things in the same order, how can we really compare grade levels? I know MUS doesn't cover division until 4th grade and it makes total sense within the context of that curriculum, but other curricula cover it in 3rd grade.

I think it's missing the forest for the trees to worry about grade level too much. I really doubt that elementary kids who use TT on grade level don't do well on standardized tests.

For hs, I don't know because I'm not there yet, but since TT's whole focus is on high school as far as I can tell, I would think they are pretty careful to adequately cover the material needed to do well on tests. Their big selling point is that they provide so much instruction as you can click on every single problem and see a step-by-step solution if you need it (as opposed to just the answer key in the Saxon texts) to take place of the expensive math tutor that a lot of homeschoolers will otherwise need.

So, needless to say, I'm skeptical that TT doesn't do the job pretty well even in hs, and since I just switched my kids to it this year with high hopes, I refuse to hear any more of this nonsense! lalalalalalalala :lol: j/k

2.0 is the update versions.

The older versions at the elementary levels don't have:

Bonus rounds {fact practice}

end of lesson Animation {basically telling the student they finished}

Does not work on a Mac

You can tell by checking the serial number on the back. If it starts with a 2 it will work on a Mac because it's the 2.0 versions. :D It's on their website in the FAQ area. ;)

Look, I'm using TT pretty happily with my dd (who tests quite well, no complaints), but I SURE wouldn't use it with a dc who is 5 and testing multiple grades ahead in math. Put her into more challenging and appropriate to her ability level.

That's all.

Whatever, I can think of some arguments for it. I just wouldn't, not in that situation. There's a lot stronger, more thorough math options that will get her thinking more.

:iagree: Rather than flying through an easier program, give her something with a LOT of meat to chew on. If she's in TT3 at 5 years old, I can guarantee she'll be into the prealgebra/algebra type levels by age 6. You're going to run into a problem. Get her in a program that slows her down a bit and makes her really THINK.

Also, TT is pretty expensive for an accelerated child, and your username suggests that you prefer to be frugal. Can you afford $500+/year for multiple levels of TT? :001_huh:

I can't fathom putting a 5 year old in TT 3!

We are happily, and I mean HAPPILY using TT. It's been a relief and a breath of fresh air for us. But, I do think TT is probably behind "grade level". I have absolutely no issue with that. We used CLE for a few years, which I think is a great program, but it just got to be too much. Some kids just aren't naturally good at math and they need to focus on less, and really learn it. That's what I think TT does. We supplement where it's needed. I wish I had used TT, because I got absolutely nothing out of my PS math education.

Anyway, if I were you I would find some way to go deeper in math. Something like primary math challenge, or games or something else. I wouldn't put a 5 year old in TT 3. But that's just me :tongue_smilie:!

Personally, I don't get why it matters IF it runs a grade level behind or not, as long as you know where to place your child. If your child is in 3rd grade but TT4 is a better fit, put him in TT4. *Shrug* :confused:

I'm with TaraJo29. I love TT and more importantly, so do my kids. I just put them where they fit.

With my limited experience with TT (DS is on lesson 7 and DD is on lesson 10) it's on grade-level. I think it's more that some other programs run ahead of PS math and that's where the comparison comes in. At the end of last year, DS tested into TT3 and DD tested into TT4. I was planning to keep DS back a year in math and the test confirmed that I was correct to do so.

There are only 120 lessons and so far they haven't taken my kids more than 20-30 minutes. Your child can always go through the lessons and then move onto the next level before the end of the year. That's what my DD will most likely do.

:iagree: Rather than flying through an easier program, give her something with a LOT of meat to chew on. If she's in TT3 at 5 years old, I can guarantee she'll be into the prealgebra/algebra type levels by age 6. You're going to run into a problem. Get her in a program that slows her down a bit and makes her really THINK.

Also, TT is pretty expensive for an accelerated child, and your username suggests that you prefer to be frugal. Can you afford $500+/year for multiple levels of TT? :001_huh:

:iagree:

Dd9 started TT 3 young (along w/ SM) and thankfully I already owned all levels through 7. It is an expensive way to go....but it worked beautifully for my dd9 who deals with perfectionism, loves the computer aspect, works at own pace, skips problems/lessons as needed, likes instant feedback, etc.

Just take the placement test and see which level works. Don't pay attention to the grade level on the front cover. Just go with the level that works.

We love TT here. I am waiting for the new alg 2 2.0 to arrive any day. For the right student, TT is a win-win. But yes, very spendy to accelerate through TT. Multiple kids sweetens the deal. :)

HTH!

We have been using TT for 3 years now. We have done 3rd, 5th and 6th. I think it runs 6 months to a year behind. I like the program and so do my kids.

We just completed testing and they scored above level.

It is spiral. I like that. I will say that we are adding Life of Fred as a review on Fridays for my son who is in TT7. Something different and something to shift gears and thinking.

We also do math drills/math facts with son in TT4. He does math drills about 3 times a week.

I have only used the newer versions.

I have both of my kids using it. I just put my 2nd grader (in October) in TT3. My 11yo dd is getting ready to start TT7. She will start 6th grade in October. I love TT. My kids are not mathy kids. TT has tons of review, which my poor dd needs. I love that she gets instant feedback as well. I do think it lags a year behind other curriculum. I have no idea if it falls behind the public school though since my kids have never been to school. I think it's a great program!

Sandy