Menu

Ds started ps last week

Ds 15 decided to try public school again. He had the choice of the local high school or going with me to my site. Surprisingly, he chose to go with me. I was definitely not excited about this, but he and dh both convinced me to let him try. He is a social butterfly, loves to be around people. He has a decent schedule, and has joined the water polo team. I am sad, but happy. :confused:

For those thinking of making the transition, I'll keep posting. It is only the second week, so the newness has yet to wear off. It is going to be an interesting year...

My dd14 started high school last week. I'm not totally thrilled with the idea but she and DH vetoed me. Her schedule is pretty good. I insisted on Honors English and Honors Biology. She isn't thrilled with my choices but I told her it was my compromise. She hasn't yet decided on any clubs because frankly there isn't much she is interested in. I think the clubs advertise during the first couple of weeks. I should ask her if anyone has mentioned anything yet.

My oldest DS went back to public school for high school after four years of homeschooling. It was his choice, and the DH and I didn't oppose it. He's very mature and knows where he wants to go in life, so we were fine with letting him make the decision.

For the most part he's enjoyed it. He was wiped out the first week from re-acclimating to being in "real" school, finding his way around and being in such a crowded environment for hours when he wasn't used to it. And he was more than a bit bored. Freshmen at our school can't take AP classes and there are only a few honors classes available to them, and even in those he was already ahead. Now as a rising junior he's in all AP/honors classes, a number of clubs and on the cross country team.

My twin dds will start high school in two weeks. :willy_nilly: :svengo: (I can't believe how early you all start school in other parts of the country!)

It was a joint decision, but it's still a big step into the unknown (they've never been to school at all).

We have an exchange student with us all month - she's leaving the day they start school. This is helping me be in denial. :tongue_smilie: I hope it's not so much denial I forget to do something important. I haven't bought any notebooks or anything yet - is it okay for me to wait to see what the teachers want?

:grouphug: There should be some kind of list of what they need. I would call the school.

My twin dds will start high school in two weeks. :willy_nilly: :svengo: (I can't believe how early you all start school in other parts of the country!)

It was a joint decision, but it's still a big step into the unknown (they've never been to school at all).

We have an exchange student with us all month - she's leaving the day they start school. This is helping me be in denial. :tongue_smilie: I hope it's not so much denial I forget to do something important. I haven't bought any notebooks or anything yet - is it okay for me to wait to see what the teachers want?

I haven't bought any notebooks or anything yet - is it okay for me to wait to see what the teachers want?

Most of the teachers at our public high school don't require much or have lists, but instead leave it up to each student how to organize their work. DS has only had a couple of teachers who asked for specific supplies. The only real danger in waiting is that all the school supplies may get picked over.

Edited by Pawz4me

Most of the teachers at our public high school don't require much or have lists, but instead leave it up to each student how to organize their work. DS has only had a couple of teachers who asked for specific supplies. The only real danger in waiting is that all the school supplies may get picked over.

Aaaah! I have no idea what the best system is, though? One big ring binder with dividers for subjects? A smaller binder for each class? Individual spiral binders, or a 5-subject one? What about folders or pockets for extra papers? :willy_nilly: I think I am both way overthinking this and managing to be in denial about it all at once! A talent. And ironic, considering that organizing my notebook for the year was one of my favorite things to do in high school.

I have bought them planners and a backpacks. They have clothing. Still not sure if it's the "right" clothing - one has her own definite thoughts on her own style, so she's fine, but the other views clothing as something to cover her body and keep warm, and doesn't even want to hear about anything that isn't comfortable (like cute shoes or the skinny pants that are in style). Of course, she's such a toothpick that the skinny pants are the only ones that don't fall down, so it's a challenge. :willy_nilly: :leaving: