Menu

Non Meat Proteins

Hi all, you ladies/gents are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to foods. I had gastric bypass so my food intake is limited. I need to eat high protein, low sugar and fats. I am getting sick of chicken and tuna.

I don't tolerate some meats, I can handle most meats but not steaks. Shredded/ground meat goes down better. I am trying to find some non meat based ideas as I am quickly getting tired of eating nothing but meat. I can only eat about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of food per meal.

My kids will eat just about anything as long as it's not spicy.

Any ideas?

Can you eat almonds? Almond milk is fantastic. There is an unsweetened version as well.

Protein powder shakes made with almond milk. :001_smile:

Someone mentioned quinoa and I'll add buckwheat. It's also a complete protein like quinoa is. Both are super versatile. You can make savory or sweet dishes.

Think soup or stew using one of those instead of rice or barley.

Hot cereal using one of them is a favorite with my kids.

There is a "bread" recipe that using no flour at all but instead is made with a peanut or almond butter. Pure protein bread. :)

You can make pancakes or waffles out of quinoa or buckwheat flour and then eat it with ricotta cheese on top. This morning I had french toast (made from buckwheat flour) with ricotta on top.

Edited by Kleine Hexe

My doctor really wants us to not use protein shakes as our source of protein, he wants me to learn to eat my protein, so technically protein powders are not allowed on my diet plan. We are however allowed to supplement with milk powder and egg powder. I already doing a mix of 3/4 lactose free milk, to 1/4 powdered milk powder to boost the protein of regular milk.