Menu

Disney Planning Addicts Unite! Post your favorite WDW vacation tips here!!!

besroma

on our last trip, sil and I set the goal to visit every single deluxe resort and we did it. It was fun, seeing all the different places, pools, etc. Also even tho I live in a town with a Boardwalk, I still love Disney's Boardwalk which includes the deluxe resorts of Yacht Club, Boardwalk Resort and Beach Club. You can get to this 3 resorts from Epcot and they are well worth seeing. All of the deluxes are worth visiting.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring your own coffee. Luckily are our LDS friends who've never had the :001_huh: moment of tasting most Disney "coffee." It's improving. But slowly.

:iagree: It's very watery, hardly resembles a good cup of joe. Maybe that's why I drink coke zero in the morning instead. ;) (only at DW)

Bring your own coffee. Luckily are our LDS friends who've never had the :001_huh: moment of tasting most Disney "coffee." It's improving. But slowly.

Yes, we have been spared that. I hear it's an atrocity. :lol:

However, I do have friends who are not LDS who have spoken highly of the French press pot that is served at the Kona Cafe. I don't know what that is exactly (I'm fairly coffee illiterate), but I do know that she craves it after a few days of Disney coffee...and makes a beeline for breakfast at Kona (which is a fabulous place for breakfast, whether or not you drink coffee). :D

I don't think they are all bad. The pastry shops probably use the same coffee, but in the afternoon, after a long day, sitting and drinking it suits me just fine.

I love sitting at the one on the corner of HS (Starring Rolls Cafe). It is fun to people watch there.

And I love the one in Norway at Epcot (Kringla Bakeri). It feels like you are in Europe.

At MK I stick to the Espresso carts.

At AK I always, always, always get a cup of coffee in Africa (Tusker House) and sit and pretend I am back in Kenya. I could sit there for a VERY long time.

Dawn

I am very picky about my coffee, though. The coffee at the counter service next to the soda fountain is the worst. If you get it in a sit down restaurant, it's a little better.

on our last trip, sil and I set the goal to visit every single deluxe resort and we did it. It was fun, seeing all the different places, pools, etc. Also even tho I live in a town with a Boardwalk, I still love Disney's Boardwalk which includes the deluxe resorts of Yacht Club, Boardwalk Resort and Beach Club. You can get to this 3 resorts from Epcot and they are well worth seeing. All of the deluxes are worth visiting.

We have done this! My favorite time for resort hopping is during Christmas. Love the Wildressness Lodge rustic Christmas decorations with the HUGE Christmas tree in the lobby or the enormous gingerbread cottage at the Grand Floridian. Can't wait until its that time again!

For 3 weeks before you go, put your kids through bootcamp. I am totally serious. I have mine walk a mile, then two, then add a half mile running, etc. Then, we go on bing maps and measure out how far we would have gone in say, Epcot. It's a real eye opener to them. My kids haven't done strollers in the parks since they were 5 & 4. They are always ready after 3 weeks of "training." ;)

This might be the best advice I have seen from anyone! I had not even thought of it but it makes such sense. I was going to start doing couch to 5k and my dd do it with me anyway now I know I need to!

Do you have anything specifically you want to know about? Lots of us seem to do better with exact questions. :D

I'll ask you a few to start:

Are you staying on property? yes at the new Art of Animation resort

Do you have the dining plan? no because of the way I got my tickets. We had the dining plan when I went 9 years ago and I loved it though.

When in December are you going? we are going to be there from Dec 8 to the 15

Because that makes a WHOLE lot of difference.

So far I have made a reservation to have lunch to get the seating for the candle light processional Christmas show. (we are going to the Biergarten, is this an ok choice?) I am calling everyday for the Be Our Guest reservations because the told me they should start by the end of this month. Actually the girl today told me she was surprised they didn't even have a date yet because they usually have something more definite.

I love the suggestions of seeing the resorts decorated. I wouldn't have thought of that but would have totally missed it if I hadn't done it. I am interested in any suggestions that those 'insiders' would never miss! I don't want to be the 'touristy' person going, I want to be like one of you!:lol:

we are doing one day at Universal so I can go to Hogwarts...the rest is for the little one THAT is 100% for ME! lol

I don't think they are all bad. The pastry shops probably use the same coffee, but in the afternoon, after a long day, sitting and drinking it suits me just fine.

I love sitting at the one on the corner of HS (Starring Rolls Cafe). It is fun to people watch there.

And I love the one in Norway at Epcot (Kringla Bakeri). It feels like you are in Europe.

At MK I stick to the Espresso carts.

At AK I always, always, always get a cup of coffee in Africa (Tusker House) and sit and pretend I am back in Kenya. I could sit there for a VERY long time.

Dawn

At Tusker House, I grab a great beer and a table, sit under the shade and watch the parade. My favorite spot for a parade. :)

I'll have to check out the Espresso cart at MK. Maybe I can sit down with that while the girls are covered in Nutella waffles and powdered sugar. :lol:

The coffee in the parks is much, much better, especially at EPCOT in France. It's the counter service at the hotels that is awful.

Ah, gottcha. I haven't had really bad coffee in the parks that I can think of and we don't stay on property.

Have you had Tusker beer? I really don't like beer or I would have some.

I wish they had REAL Kenyan coffee.....half extremely strong coffee and half hot milk, served in stainless small individual carafes, like I had growing up.

Dawn

At Tusker House, I grab a great beer and a table, sit under the shade and watch the parade. My favorite spot for a parade. :)

I'll have to check out the Espresso cart at MK. Maybe I can sit down with that while the girls are covered in Nutella waffles and powdered sugar. :lol:

The coffee in the parks is much, much better, especially at EPCOT in France. It's the counter service at the hotels that is awful.

So far I have made a reservation to have lunch to get the seating for the candle light processional Christmas show. (we are going to the Biergarten, is this an ok choice?) I am calling everyday for the Be Our Guest reservations because the told me they should start by the end of this month. Actually the girl today told me she was surprised they didn't even have a date yet because they usually have something more definite.

I love the suggestions of seeing the resorts decorated. I wouldn't have thought of that but would have totally missed it if I hadn't done it. I am interested in any suggestions that those 'insiders' would never miss! I don't want to be the 'touristy' person going, I want to be like one of you!:lol:

we are doing one day at Universal so I can go to Hogwarts...the rest is for the little one THAT is 100% for ME! lol

Ok, the 8th-15th is a GREAT time to go!! All the decorations will be up and the crowds will be much less than they will be Christmas week.

You might want to check into Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. That will be happening while you're there and it's really fun and gets you in the holiday mood. Tickets are necessary...and of course, the cost is separate from your park admission. It occurs in the Magic Kingdom, and on the nights when they are having it, the park closes early for those who don't have a ticket to the party.

You MUST see the Osborne family lights spectacular in Hollywood Studios (not *those* Osbournes). It is amazing....so incredibly gorgeous and truly mesmerizing. It happens nightly (I think) at Christmas time. Here's a youtube vid, but seriously, this does NOT do the show justice.

Candlelight Processional is BEAUTIFUL!! You will really enjoy it. The Biergarten is a fun buffet restaurant serving German food. Lots of brats. :lol: You are seated family style with other families besides your own. Sometimes that's fine...sometimes it's not. Depends on who you get. LOL I've eaten there before, and while it's perfectly fine, it's not my favorite restaurant in Epcot. I don't know what others are available with the Candlelight Processional package, but if you let us know, others who have eaten at them can chime in. There's certainly nothing wrong with Biergarten, and the ooompa band is a lot of fun.

AoA promises to be a really fun resort!! My kids want to stay there next spring, so I think we'll be booking a Nemo suite. Lots of people don't like the value resorts, but I love them. We've always had a great experience at Pop Century (the other value we've stayed in), and I would return in a heartbeat. The deluxe resorts are fabulous, but staying at a value lets us extend our Disney vacation to two weeks. We only stay for one week when we're at a deluxe. Although it's a very, very nice week. :lol:

Have you made other dining reservations? Do you know how often you want to eat at a Table Service venue? We can all give you the rundown on great Counter Services places as well as snacks. And places to shop...wow, do I know how to shop there. :D :D :D

Edited by DianeW88

Have you made other dining reservations? Do you know how often you want to eat at a Table Service venue? We can all give you the rundown on great Counter Services places as well as snacks. And places to shop...wow, do I know how to shop there. :D :D :D

So far the Candlelight thing is all we have planned for. I picked the Beirgarten cause it seems more my hubby's style. I think we only want to do two or three big time meals and try to keep the food simple for the rest. I would love to know the places you have found to absolutely not miss and for sure avoid!

What are those vinyl thingies you guys were talking about? The last time I went the pins were the big thing.

So far the Candlelight thing is all we have planned for. I picked the Beirgarten cause it seems more my hubby's style. I think we only want to do two or three big time meals and try to keep the food simple for the rest. I would love to know the places you have found to absolutely not miss and for sure avoid!

What are those vinyl thingies you guys were talking about? The last time I went the pins were the big thing.

The Beirgarten is the best. That is one restaurant we always go to. My hubby and the girls love it! They get on the dance floor and have a blast, great food, fun atmosphere. One of our favorites! Also, Remy comes around at 5:00pm at Le Chefs de France, if your kids want to see him. :)

ah, the Osborne lights. We had seen them 2 years ago and this year we took sil with us. We did not tell her about the lights, we just took her to the street and watched her face when she saw the lights. It was wonderful looking at sil's face.

My favorite time to go see them is right after Thanksgiving. The park has very light attendance and it's still not cold. LOVE the Osborne lights! We recorded it one year to show my MIL, but it just could never compare. :)

The pins are still there, although not as popular as they used to be.

The vinylmations are an incredible waste of money. Stay away at all costs.

A 2 and 7 year old will probably want to meet and greet the characters. Look online at the Disney site for your character dining options. For example, Crystal Palace has the Winnie-the-Pooh characters while Chef Mickeys has the Mickey characters. Those all are buffet or family-style service so one can make it the big meal of the day.

Also plan on meeting characters at the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party instead of waiting in the longer lines during the day. Have your pens and autograph books ready.

Since you do not have a dining plan, see if Tables in Wonderland would save you money. Since it is only good for sit-down dinners, and you're looking for mostly counter service, it might not be cost effective. I save about $12 for two adults per sit-down meal. The cost of the card is about $75 or $80.

If your kiddos want to meet Santa, he can usually be found between the Dolphin and Swan hotels along the concourse. Find him on a night when you want to stroll along the Boardwalk. Check out the train display and other Christmas decor in the Disney resorts on the Boardwalk.

Call in advance to the Disney florist. Have them prepare a special Christmas present from Mickey to be placed in your resort room while you are gone. The kiddos will have a big surprise.

My personal favorite restaurants with young kiddos: O'Hana's at the Polynesian, 1900 Park Fare at The Grand Floridian, Lunch at the Castle in Magic Kingdom, Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom, Chef Mickey's in The Contemporary, Cape May at The Beach Club, 50's Prime Time at Hollywood Studios, Coral Reef in Epcot, Akershus in Epcot for princess dining.

Make sure the kiddos have plenty to do while waiting in lines wherever you go, even restaurants. You'll probably have a stroller with your 2 year old. Have a stroller that holds a lot and can be folded up with one hand. Consider a large umbrella stroller for the 7 year old since that's a lot of walking, even with a 3 week preparatory bootcamp. (I love this idea.)

Tape your resort name and your phone # to the inside of your kiddos' shirts. Make sure you have a photo of both kiddos in your wallet. It's really fast when Disney starts looking for a lost kiddo, but be prepared to help the cast members quickly.

Spend the afternoons back at your resort at the pool if it's warm enough for swimming. Still bring sunscreen even in the winter. Also bring jackets, gloves, and hats. Anything goes in regards to December weather in Florida.

Consider buying junk Disney toys at home if you see a good deal. Then, let the kiddos play with them at Disney to save money on souvenirs. Likewise, bring snacks from home so that you won't be tempted to buy expensive ones in the parks.

Don't waste money on park hoppers. Each park is big enough to keep little ones busy all day.

Enjoy.

:)

Ah, gottcha. I haven't had really bad coffee in the parks that I can think of and we don't stay on property.

Have you had Tusker beer? I really don't like beer or I would have some.

I wish they had REAL Kenyan coffee.....half extremely strong coffee and half hot milk, served in stainless small individual carafes, like I had growing up.

Dawn

If you like beer, the Tusker House bar, just outside the restaurant with the covered tables and the African rhythm band, has amazing draft beer.

Now, that's my kind of coffee, Dawn!! Hmm.... we should have a meet up for good coffee. :)

The "vinyl thingies" are Vinylmation, and I do. not. get. that. The Japanese tourists really like them, and I know they're big at the Asian Disney properties. As is Duffy the Bear, but we won't go there. :D Although I actually don't mind Duffy too much. I really wish we could have the Minnie Couture items over here in the States, but I digress.

Back to one of my favorite topics: Disney food!!! Seriously, I eat at Disney like it's my job. :lol: Everyone has their favorites, so I will just give you some of mine and hopefully others will chime in with theirs as well.

Magic Kingdom

Table Service:

Liberty Tree Tavern (We love lunch here!!! And the dessert...to die for. The Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake is a little bit of heaven on earth.)

The Plaza: (Main Street. We love having lunch here!! The burgers are yummy, the fries are some of the best in the park, and the icecream sundaes are perfect. They also serve sandwiches. They're reasonably priced, too, which is good if you're not on the dining plan.

Crystal Palace (Main St. Perfect place for a breakfast buffet. Pooh and the gang are there and the food is delicious. Plus, you can get in the park before anyone else. Don't go on a day when MK has extra magic hours in the morning though. That defeats the purpose.)

Be Our Guest (Not even opened, so I can't review it, but the menu selection looks great. I hope you're able to get a ressie.)

Counter Service:

Columbia Harbor House (Liberty Square. Seafood quick service, plus yummy salads and chicken for those who aren't seafood fans. Nice quiet room upstairs for dining that overlooks the park.)

Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe (Tomorrowland. HUGE portions...shareable of chicken, ribs, pork, burgers and sandwiches.)

Main Street Bakery (Main St. Perfect for breakfast. I love their cinnamon rolls. They also make a delicious icecream sandwich with real vanilla icecream smushed between two homemade chocolate chip cookies. It's one of the best snack credit values in the park.

Sleepy Hollow (Liberty Square) Waffle sandwiches. Including the one slathered with nutella and filled with fresh fruit. 'Nuff said. :D

Gaston's Tavern and/or Be Our Guest: Both will have CS, and I will definitely be checking them out the next time I'm there.

Epcot

Table Service:

Rose & Crown (United Kingdom. Typical pub food, but a GREAT place to watch Illuminations at night...if they seat you on the patio. You'll need a ressie around 7:30 pm to make sure you're in place at the right time.

Le Cellier (Canada. Great steaks and delicious pretzel bread, but now that it's a 2 credit meal, I doubt I'll be back anytime soon. Really good food, though.)

Les Chefs de France (France. We love to go there for lunch so we can see Remy. Check disboards for the exact times of his appearance and time your ressie accordingly. Delicious food!)

Via Napoli (Italy. Yummy wood fired pizzas. We really like eating there. And I'm Italian, so I know good Italian food. :D)

Garden Grill (The Land pavilion. Character meal with delicious and very fresh food...some of it grown right in the pavilion. We've always enjoyed our meals here.)

Coral Reef (The Living Seas pavilion. Seafood with a view. You sit near the big tanks and get to watch the fish swimming by while you eat their friends. :lol: The desserts are really good here!)

Counter Service:

Sunshine Seasons (The Land pavilion. GREAT place to eat for any meal. Lots of choices. I highly recommend the strawberry shortcake for dessert.)

Boulangerie Patisserie (France. Yummy ham and cheese croissants, quiche and other quick lunches. Fabulous french desserts!!)

Tutto Gusto Wine Cellar: (Italy. New counter service place with delicious sandwiches, cheeses and antipasti platters.)

Tangierine Cafe (Morocco. HUGE platters of Moroccan food. We love it, and it's not too exotic, just enough to be different. The baklava can be a little dry though. We eat dessert elsewhere.)

Kringla Bakeri Og Cafe (Norway. One of my FAVORITE places to eat in Epcot. HUGE sandwiches...try the ham and apple sandwich. And then there's the schoolbread. Oh, how I love it so! :001_wub:)

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.....

I have a question...

Is the crowd calendar on easywdw.com accurate or do I need to spend the money on touringplans.com or some other pay site? (We're going 9/15-9/22, which hopefully is going to be very light.)

That's a great time to go!!! Light crowds, as is the week after Thanksgiving. We will be there also from 9/11 through 9/18. :D

Hollywood Studios:

Table Service

Hollywood Brown Derby (The biggie. 2 TS credits and well worth it. We love eating here. We love the atmosphere, and my kids know it from that old "I Love Lucy" episode where she meets Bill Holden and then spills food all over him. :lol: We like to sit in the booths and my dh and I tell the kids stories about all the old Hollywood Stars who have their caricatures up on the wall. The food is soooo good!! Delicious entrees and even more delicious desserts.)

50s Prime Time Cafe (Another family favorite. The sampler platter is excellent. We love eating there because it reminds me and my dh of our grandparents' houses. You sit in a fifties style kitchen with televisions playing clips from famous fifties' tv shows. Your server treats you like one of the family and will tease you if you don't eat your veggies (you may find them served with your dessert). A friend of mine's dd was texting at the table and the waiter put her in "time out". So funny. And get the PB&J shake....sounds :ack2:, tastes :001_wub:. The s'mores are a great dessert, too.)

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater (A replica of a 50s drive-in theatre where you sit in "cars" while facing a large screen playing clips from 1950s Sci-Fi "B" movies. Really, really fun. And if you stick with burgers, fries and shakes, the food is decent. My kids love it. Great atmosphere!!

Counter Service

Starring Rolls Cafe (Great place for lunch. SUPER HUGE sandwiches...very splittable. Order one sandwich and one plain croissant and you have two lunches. The cupcakes are YUMMY!! I recommend the red velvet. :D I've even eaten it for breakfast. Beware that this place closes at 4 pm, so don't wait too long to eat here.

Pizza Planet (If I'm desperate and if my kids want pizza. There isn't much in the way of eateries in HS.)

Animal Kingdom

Table Service

Tusker House (great buffet anytime. Breakfast is fun and the foods have a bit of an African flavor to them. It's a character meal and we love it.)

Yak & Yeti (We really like eating here! The fried wontons are an excellent dessert, as is the mango cheesecake.)

Counter Service

Flame Tree Barbeque (Hands down, one of the best CS places on the property. Huge portions, delicious food. Very shareable.)

Kusafiri Coffee Shop and Bakery (Good for a quick breakfast and for CUPCAKES!!)

Restaurantosaurus (A couple of good picks here....veggie sub, shrimp po' boy, taco salad, burgers. AK isn't known for a lot of great eateries either. But the good ones they have...are pretty darn good.)

I'll come back later and add info about snacks and restaurants at the hotels.

Hope that helps some!!

Yes, that is where I sit and have coffee and watch the crowds and pretend for a moment I am in Nairobi or Mombassa or Kitali.

Well, you need to change your dates! :D

If you like beer, the Tusker House bar, just outside the restaurant with the covered tables and the African rhythm band, has amazing draft beer.

Now, that's my kind of coffee, Dawn!! Hmm.... we should have a meet up for good coffee. :)

Yes, that is where I sit and have coffee and watch the crowds and pretend for a moment I am in Nairobi or Mombassa or Kitali.

Well, you need to change your dates! :D

Oh, wow! We have the best spot picked out. :) If you are going again in the late winter (January/February) let me know.

Hollywood Studios:

Table Service

50s Prime Time Cafe (Another family favorite. The sampler platter is excellent. We love eating there because it reminds me and my dh of our grandparents' houses. You sit in a fifties style kitchen with televisions playing clips from famous fifties' tv shows. Your server treats you like one of the family and will tease you if you don't eat your veggies (you may find them served with your dessert). A friend of mine's dd was texting at the table and the waiter put her in "time out". So funny. And get the PB&J shake....sounds :ack2:, tastes :001_wub:. The s'mores are a great dessert, too.)

Just an FYI, my dad HATED this place. They kept calling him "Sparky" and telling him what to do. I think some people crack up, others don't. He walked out before the meal. It was interesting to me, but I'm not easily offended. ;)

Ok.

Unfortunately, DH can never go then. He is an accountant.....Jan-April we are tied to our house!

Oh, wow! We have the best spot picked out. :) If you are going again in the late winter (January/February) let me know.

I have a question...

Is the crowd calendar on easywdw.com accurate or do I need to spend the money on touringplans.com or some other pay site? (We're going 9/15-9/22, which hopefully is going to be very light.)

The crowd calendar at easywdw.com should be accurate. Do you want to look at actual touring plans for days in the park, or just the crowd calendar?

on our last trip to 50's Prime Time Diner, every customer was involved in a game to see how many one word Disney movies could be named. Also a woman had to go stand in the corner for talking on her cell phone. We really love the fun in this place but yes, you cannot get easily offended or you won't like the place. I am pretty sure that green beans are served with every meal and you have to eat them or no dessert or if they do decide to serve you dessert your green beans will be served with your dessert.

The Free Dining offer at Walt Disney World has been extended for an extra week, so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s now available for stays on select nights September 30 through December 20, 2012.

Hope this helps someone out! :D

I actually got so excited when I saw this BUT because we got out tickets separate (and very discounted) from our rooms it doesn't do us any good. It's all good though! lol

The pins are still there, although not as popular as they used to be.

The vinylmations are an incredible waste of money. Stay away at all costs.

A 2 and 7 year old will probably want to meet and greet the characters. Look online at the Disney site for your character dining options. For example, Crystal Palace has the Winnie-the-Pooh characters while Chef Mickeys has the Mickey characters. Those all are buffet or family-style service so one can make it the big meal of the day.

Also plan on meeting characters at the Mickeys Very Merry Christmas Party instead of waiting in the longer lines during the day. Have your pens and autograph books ready.

Since you do not have a dining plan, see if Tables in Wonderland would save you money. Since it is only good for sit-down dinners, and you're looking for mostly counter service, it might not be cost effective. I save about $12 for two adults per sit-down meal. The cost of the card is about $75 or $80.

If your kiddos want to meet Santa, he can usually be found between the Dolphin and Swan hotels along the concourse. Find him on a night when you want to stroll along the Boardwalk. Check out the train display and other Christmas decor in the Disney resorts on the Boardwalk.

Call in advance to the Disney florist. Have them prepare a special Christmas present from Mickey to be placed in your resort room while you are gone. The kiddos will have a big surprise.

My personal favorite restaurants with young kiddos: O'Hana's at the Polynesian, 1900 Park Fare at The Grand Floridian, Lunch at the Castle in Magic Kingdom, Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom, Chef Mickey's in The Contemporary, Cape May at The Beach Club, 50's Prime Time at Hollywood Studios, Coral Reef in Epcot, Akershus in Epcot for princess dining.

Make sure the kiddos have plenty to do while waiting in lines wherever you go, even restaurants. You'll probably have a stroller with your 2 year old. Have a stroller that holds a lot and can be folded up with one hand. Consider a large umbrella stroller for the 7 year old since that's a lot of walking, even with a 3 week preparatory bootcamp. (I love this idea.)

Tape your resort name and your phone # to the inside of your kiddos' shirts. Make sure you have a photo of both kiddos in your wallet. It's really fast when Disney starts looking for a lost kiddo, but be prepared to help the cast members quickly.

Spend the afternoons back at your resort at the pool if it's warm enough for swimming. Still bring sunscreen even in the winter. Also bring jackets, gloves, and hats. Anything goes in regards to December weather in Florida.

Consider buying junk Disney toys at home if you see a good deal. Then, let the kiddos play with them at Disney to save money on souvenirs. Likewise, bring snacks from home so that you won't be tempted to buy expensive ones in the parks.

Don't waste money on park hoppers. Each park is big enough to keep little ones busy all day.

Enjoy.

:)

the good thing is we are leaving the littlest one home so we will only have the 7 yr old who will actually be practically 8 (will turn the next month) I will still think about the stroller for her though. That was a great tip!

So are backpacks ok in the parks? I will be looking for a battery extender for my phone if nothing else and she can have that to play with in lines. :bigear::bigear::bigear: keep the tips coming! I am not sure how many table service meals we are planning. I think probably only a few and more counter service. That diner actually sounds like something we would like! I MUST have those nutella sammie things too (dd will LOVE those, she is a nutella freak!)

I carry this bag in the park: http://www.amazon.com/Baggallini-Messenger-Bagg-Black/dp/B000F3YMXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345038842&sr=8-1&keywords=baggallini+messenger+bag Perfect size and it goes cross-wise over your shoulder. It's my official Disney parks bag...I never use it for anything else. :lol: Backpacks will hurt after awhile, and I didn't like the constant pain between my shoulder blades after a few days of touring. You do want your hands to be free, and you want easy access to you KTTW card, so make sure your bag allows for that.

on our last trip to 50's Prime Time Diner, every customer was involved in a game to see how many one word Disney movies could be named. Also a woman had to go stand in the corner for talking on her cell phone. We really love the fun in this place but yes, you cannot get easily offended or you won't like the place. I am pretty sure that green beans are served with every meal and you have to eat them or no dessert or if they do decide to serve you dessert your green beans will be served with your dessert.

Sounds like Wilderness Lodge! My dh got put in jail for not finishing his vegetables.

I actually got so excited when I saw this BUT because we got out tickets separate (and very discounted) from our rooms it doesn't do us any good. It's all good though! lol

You know - you might be able to take advantage of it still. Call about your room and see if you can add the number of park days to your room to get free dining. Does that make sense? I think you only have to buy 2 days at the parks (per person) to get the free dining offer. It might make financial sense to pay for those two days and then get free food. Price it out!

I have a fanny pack that I use for Disney only (since they are not in style), I only carry my KTTW, tiny amount of money and a few food bars/crackers. Disney does not care if you bring in food, but all bags have to be opened and inspected by security before you can enter. It is a very smooth operation.

Lots of people bring in water, soda, etc. but I like to travel light and just get water as my drink with my meals as I don't drink sodas, neither do my dc so we all just get water there with meals.

the good thing is we are leaving the littlest one home so we will only have the 7 yr old who will actually be practically 8 (will turn the next month) I will still think about the stroller for her though. That was a great tip!

So are backpacks ok in the parks? I will be looking for a battery extender for my phone if nothing else and she can have that to play with in lines. :bigear::bigear::bigear: keep the tips coming! I am not sure how many table service meals we are planning. I think probably only a few and more counter service. That diner actually sounds like something we would like! I MUST have those nutella sammie things too (dd will LOVE those, she is a nutella freak!)

I'm one of those embarassing people to be with! I wear a "fanny pack!" Actually it's a Spybelt - a runners belt. It carries everything I need really easily (KTTW card, phone, and maybe some Advil) and I'm hands-free. I don't want to have a bag at all.

Sounds like Wilderness Lodge! My dh got put in jail for not finishing his vegetables.

Oh, we LOVE Whispering Canyon Cafe!! The last time we were there, this one waiter YELLED across the restaurant to my dd, "Why do you keep looking at me? You're creepy!" :lol: We laughed so hard, and he came over and talked to us for a long time...he wasn't even our waiter. Then he confessed he thought my dd was beautiful and he wanted to get her attention. LOL He was a cutie-pie himself. Now our family joke to one another is, "You're creepy."

After my dd and I got back from the restroom, another waiter there asked us if we'd washed our hands. Of course we said, "Yes". He then asked us what color the soap in the dispenser was. We said, "Blue", and he said we'd won a free dessert for our good hygiene. :D S'mores cheesecake...to die for!!!

SUCH a fun restaurant, but don't go if you're shy, quiet, sensitive, or mind being called out about something in front of 200 other people. :lol:

I have this bag in pink: http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/atom-sling-pack?p=48259-0-306

I use it as my daily purse, but it worked really well for Disney. I put my KTTW in the crossover strap pocket thing. lol

The problem I had was I wanted to carry around my SLR camera, surely there are other people that do this? Anyone have tips on the best way to carry around a camera? Maybe I should just bring a really small camera to use instead? I don't have a smart phone to take pics with....

Jennifer , looks like we were posting at the same time about our fanny packs. You are right, we are out of style embarrassing moms at Disney.

:001_smile: We could hang out together! My sister was SOOOOO embarassed. But, she kept having to take her backpack off to get her phone or KTTW card, or whatever else she needed. Too much work for me!

Oh, we LOVE Whispering Canyon Cafe!! The last time we were there, this one waiter YELLED across the restaurant to my dd, "Why do you keep looking at me? You're creepy!" :lol: We laughed so hard, and he came over and talked to us for a long time...he wasn't even our waiter. Then he confessed he thought my dd was beautiful and he wanted to get her attention. LOL He was a cutie-pie himself. Now our family joke to one another is, "You're creepy."

After my dd and I got back from the restroom, another waiter there asked us if we'd washed our hands. Of course we said, "Yes". He then asked us what color the soap in the dispenser was. We said, "Blue", and he said we'd won a free dessert for our good hygiene. :D S'mores cheesecake...to die for!!!

SUCH a fun restaurant, but don't go if you're shy, quiet, sensitive, or mind being called out about something in front of 200 other people. :lol:

LOL!!! The last time we went, the waitress loved my daughter. It was her birthday and she sang her happy birthday in front of the entire restaurant. She was HILARIOUS!!!!! My dd was laughing the entire time. Then, when it came time to pay, my dh put his library card in!!! She came out and yelled at him in front of everyone. SOOOOO funny. We have so many stories of that one restaurant!

Ah, but in Disney, fanny packs ARE in style!! :D

:hurray:

we have a camelbak which is also a back pack, quite frankly I am a hands free bag free kind of girl myself, if it can't keep it in my pocket, I don't need it! DH is the one who wants to mess with the bag. I am sure I will appreciate it in the long run, but geesh such a hassle and I am thinking he will have to leave it for rides, right?

I am sooo not against a fanny pack, lol. Seems to me like I might have had one when we went last time but I can't really remember.

You know - you might be able to take advantage of it still. Call about your room and see if you can add the number of park days to your room to get free dining. Does that make sense? I think you only have to buy 2 days at the parks (per person) to get the free dining offer. It might make financial sense to pay for those two days and then get free food. Price it out!

:iagree:

we have a camelbak which is also a back pack, quite frankly I am a hands free bag free kind of girl myself, if it can't keep it in my pocket, I don't need it! DH is the one who wants to mess with the bag. I am sure I will appreciate it in the long run, but geesh such a hassle and I am thinking he will have to leave it for rides, right?

We have a camelbak also. It depends on the ride. We leave it hooked to our stroller.

I usually carry my SLR around my neck while I'm in "photo-mode," even on rides. I move it to the back pack when I don't want it anymore. We only take one smallish backpack into the park, and since we're still in double-stroller mode, we leave it underneath.

My Disney bag is my Disney Dooney & Bourke wristlet. It's just big enough for my iPhone, lip gloss, a comb, KTTW, and AP. If I need anything else, I toss it in the backpack.

We "mark" our stroller with some identifier so it's easy to find in the stroller sea. The cast members are constantly moving them around, so when you come out of a restaurant or a ride, etc, it will rarely be where you left it.

When we were on the cruise in Feb., the head interior designer for WDW was there, as well, and she did 2 presentations which I eagerly attended! She showed tons of photos and drawings and told so many stories; it was fabulous! The Be Our Guest Restaurant looks pretty great, and the suite in the castle...Oh, my goodness... Well, it's just incredible. She told the whole story about the day she learned it was going to be developed and that she was in charge and how excited she was. It was incredibly interesting.

we would have to switch resorts too, ours is one of the ones that isn't included. (WHICH I was willing to do BUT if I priced right it would be around 500 for the two day tickets which I have to think wouldn't make that much savings, if any, for the free food.)

Oh also, did I read right that you have to be an annual pass holder for the wonderland table thing (sorry, stayed up too late last night and can't quite complete my thoughts just yet,lol)

we would have to switch resorts too, ours is one of the ones that isn't included. (WHICH I was willing to do BUT if I priced right it would be around 500 for the two day tickets which I have to think wouldn't make that much savings, if any, for the free food.)

Oh also, did I read right that you have to be an annual pass holder for the wonderland table thing (sorry, stayed up too late last night and can't quite complete my thoughts just yet,lol)

Okay. I live for this kind of stuff. What resort are you staying in? Which dates? How many people? Honestly, we would easily spend well over $500 on food, but we like the expensive restaurants. If you are planning on counter service meals, you'd maybe not spend $500, depending on the number of days and people.