Menu

Disney Planning Addicts Unite! Post your favorite WDW vacation tips here!!!

besroma

one tip I love is to take a picture of your child with your cellphone before you go in the park. So if they get lost you will have an updated picture with them in the clothes they are wearing that day. I also tuck a paper with our phone numbers on it in their pockets and tell them to give this to a mom with a stroller or security guard

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one tip I love is to take a picture of your child with your cellphone before you go in the park. So if they get lost you will have an updated picture with them in the clothes they are wearing that day. I also tuck a paper with our phone numbers on it in their pockets and tell them to give this to a mom with a stroller or security guard

Thanks for these tips.

Welcome to be boards!

For special dietary needs (food allergies, intolerances, special diets),

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

The procedure has been streamlined during the past year or so. For common (single) allergies or intolerances you no longer contact the Special Diets people by phone. Just note the allergy when you make a phone or email reservation. For those with multiple allergies or anything unusual, follow the directions on that link. You will be emailed a form to fill out with your food needs and preferences, dining reservations, resort information etc. Depending on your needs, you may also receive some attachments listing gluten/peanut/dairy free options regularly found at counter service and cart locations throughout the resort.

When you go to eat at a counter service location, inform the greeter or cashier that you have a food allergy and they will hand you a binder listing the ingredients in all the food and/or get a manager to help you. The chef or manager will personally prepare and serve the food to ensure there is no accidental contamination.

Dd17 has multiple food allergies (soy being the most common). We've been eating at Disney parks annually since 2007-----she was diagnosed only four weeks before our trip that year and I was a mess during those weeks. I have never once worried that Dd would be served one of her allergens accidentally. All the chefs we've met have gone out of their way to make sure she had wonderful food. Last summer the chef at Tusker House (African-themed buffet in the Animal Kingdom) made her a steak, not something that was on the buffet, because she couldn't eat some of the hand-carved meats. The chef at 50s Prime Time Cafe made dd and me both cry because he went out of his way to make her onion rings. She hadn't had any onion rings since 2007 and missed them desperately.

All of this Disney talk ... we may book a December trip (10th-16th)!! Questions -

1. What are your thoughts on the All Star Sports/Music Resorts?

2. If you were taking grandma, grandpa, mom, dad and two kids (2 & 4), would you book two rooms at All Star Sports/Music or one family suite at AoA?

3. If we booked two rooms at Caribbean Beach Resort, that would put us on the Plus free dining plan. Is it too late to get ADRs?

4. Another option would be a Fort Wilderness Cabin ... anyone think this is the way to go? This is also the Plus free dining plan.

5. How are the crowds Dec 10-16ish?

6. What can we expect for weather?

All of this Disney talk ... we may book a December trip (10th-16th)!! Questions -

1. What are your thoughts on the All Star Sports/Music Resorts?

2. If you were taking grandma, grandpa, mom, dad and two kids (2 & 4), would you book two rooms at All Star Sports/Music or one family suite at AoA?

3. If we booked two rooms at Caribbean Beach Resort, that would put us on the Plus free dining plan. Is it too late to get ADRs?

4. Another option would be a Fort Wilderness Cabin ... anyone think this is the way to go? This is also the Plus free dining plan.

5. How are the crowds Dec 10-16ish?

6. What can we expect for weather?

1. The All-Star resorts are my least favorite on property (my dd stayed there for a drill team competition once). I wouldn't stay there. Having said that, you're hardly ever in your room, so if it's stay there or not go....stay there.

2. Two rooms....always.

3. No, it's not too late to get ADRs. You should still be ok, for all but the most popular restaurants, although you may have to eat earlier or later than what is typical for you though. And actually, we prefer to have a sit-down ADR at lunch more frequently than dinner. It's a nice break in the day and the ADRs are generally easier to get at lunch.

4. Fort Wilderness cabins are AWESOME and are my choice pick for December visits. It feels a bit more Christmasy. The grandparents could have the Murphy bed in the living room, and your and your dh could have the double bed while the kids have the bunk beds in the bedroom. Easy peasy. The transportation there is a little slow, however, but the crowds shouldn't be too bad then, so hopefully you won't notice. We usually took the launch to the TTC and then picked up a bus for HS or AK from there. There are resort buses directly to the other parks (use the launch for MK and Epcot), but they have to travel the entire Ft. Wilderness loop, so that takes a bit longer than at other resorts.

5. The crowds are great in early December! You may see them pick up toward the end of your visit, but nothing like they'll be during Christmas week.

6. The weather can be all over the place. Sometimes it's warm enough for shorts and swimming...other times you're bundled up in long pants and sweatshirts. You just never know. On the whole, though, it's always been very pleasant for us in December.

Edited by DianeW88
atrocious grammar error that I couldn't let slide.

6. The weather can be all over the place. Sometimes it's warm enough for shorts and swimming...other times you're bundled up in long pants and sweatshirts. You just never know. On the whole, though, it's always been very pleasant for us in December.

If you hear I'm going in December, don't go. :tongue_smilie: I live on the coast in NJ, so in the winter, it's damp, and bitterly cold often. I have had 2 trips to WDW in December where in the middle of the afternoon, we have pictures of me in a hat, gloves, and parka (LL Bean parka, no less). Yeah.

Beth, I have no plans to go this December. BOOK THE TRIP! :D

If you hear I'm going in December, don't go. :tongue_smilie: I live on the coast in NJ, so in the winter, it's damp, and bitterly cold often. I have had 2 trips to WDW in December where in the middle of the afternoon, we have pictures of me in a hat, gloves, and parka (LL Bean parka, no less). Yeah.

Beth, I have no plans to go this December. BOOK THE TRIP! :D

We live in Wisconsin, so the weather must be better at Disney, right!?! :D

Grandma and Grandpa want to go in January (they have "real" jobs, vacation days and such). I *really* want to see Disney decorated for Christmas and take advantage of free dining. So, more questions -

1. Is it likely WDW will have free dining in January or February?

2. What are your reviews on the Caribbean Beach Resort?

3. There will be three of us on the free Plus dining plan. In your experience will three meals generally be enough to share between two average adults, a 4 yo and a 2 yo?

Thanks! I love playing Disney! :lol:

Edited by Beth.
we're average, definately not normal!

I have daughter that was terrified of automatic flushing toilets. Even now, she's still not a huge fan. Disney has auto-flushers almost everywhere. A guest on our last Disney trip overheard my conversation with dd about her unwillingness to use the bathroom and gave me a wonderful tip: carry post-it notes in your purse. You slap one of those on the sensor and no accidental flushing while they're still sitting on the potty. No more standing over the poor child with your hand covering the sensor ;).

I have daughter that was terrified of automatic flushing toilets. Even now, she's still not a huge fan. Disney has auto-flushers almost everywhere. A guest on our last Disney trip overheard my conversation with dd about her unwillingness to use the bathroom and gave me a wonderful tip: carry post-it notes in your purse. You slap one of those on the sensor and no accidental flushing while they're still sitting on the potty. No more standing over the poor child with your hand covering the sensor ;).

Here's a link to non-auto flushing toilet spots at the Disney Parks.

I found this very helpful as my youngest has autism and used to be terrified of them -- they don't bother her anymore, but it may be helpful to others.

http://www.autismattheparks.com/mobile/restroom-guide.html

Here's some of my DD's tips:

1. Be prepared to not be in a room until after 4p. So on the first day of the trip, if you arrive in the morning, have backpack or fanny pack already packed for the park.

2. If one is arriving into Orlando after lunch, then don't spend money on a park ticket that day. Instead, use the time to explore the resort and do all the afternoon resort activities.

3. Paint the white chocolate dessert at the Yacht Club. This is her food for kids, do not miss tip. She also likes Liberty Tree Tavern.

4. Watch the Must-Do Disney video on the tv in the room. There's a lot of nice tips.

5. Talk to cast members often. They have the most power in creating a magical moment. Ask about their hometowns.

6. Take character shots every time one is in Disney. Then on one's wedding day, someone can put together a cute photo montage of growing up Disney.

7. Join Disney D23 on Facebook to get the inside scoop.

8. Share meals. There is too much food on the plates.

HTH

:001_smile:

Here's some of my DD's tips:

6. Take character shots every time one is in Disney. Then on one's wedding day, someone can put together a cute photo montage of growing up Disney.

:001_smile:

Love this one! Of course, you then must marry someone who also grew up Disney, for maximum effect :D

Not to make you jealous...but...we are here now. :). Taking Monorail from MK to Epcot. Going to the bakery in Norway or Germany for a treat and cup of coffee. We had a short afternoon rain and it's pretty muggy but crowds are relatively low...for Disney anyway. Going back to MK for fireworks. We do love Disney. We'll be here all week. We almost always stay at Coronado because DH has board meetings there.

Just wanted to mention to those of you who have marked your calendars for the 20th of August to make reservations at BOG restaurant:

Disney changed the time they will start taking reservations to 7AM!!!!!!!!!! (EST)

OMG thank you for the update. My poor baby girl has been in the hospital since yesterday. It turns out this trip to Disney has come at the best time, because they have diagnosed her with diabetes. Anyway, she should be getting released tomorrow and of course the will probably fall right at noon! 7 am should be so much easier!

Not to make you jealous...but...we are here now. :). Taking Monorail from MK to Epcot. Going to the bakery in Norway or Germany for a treat and cup of coffee. We had a short afternoon rain and it's pretty muggy but crowds are relatively low...for Disney anyway. Going back to MK for fireworks. We do love Disney. We'll be here all week. We almost always stay at Coronado because DH has board meetings there.

Enjoy. Yes, I am jealous, but we were just there last weekend. Enjoy!

:)

How exciting! Thanks for posting.

I wonder if anyone else has posted here while riding the Disney monorail! :D

OMG thank you for the update. My poor baby girl has been in the hospital since yesterday. It turns out this trip to Disney has come at the best time, because they have diagnosed her with diabetes. Anyway, she should be getting released tomorrow and of course the will probably fall right at noon! 7 am should be so much easier!

You are welcome!

Sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she feels better soon! :grouphug:

We've only gone once, but I was SO GLAD we left the parks and went back to our condo every afternoon. The toddler napped, the bigger boys swam or watched TV or just cooled off inside, and the adults sat around and rested.

We did try to arrive at rope drop (we were usually a few minutes late but close) -- we went during spring break and avoided the parks with extra-magic hours since we weren't stayed at a Disney resort. We are not morning people but getting there by 9am wasn't impossible and we really did get through the lines quickly in the morning. I only remember once all week with a line over 20 minutes (the safari at Animal Kingdom). It claimed to be 35 min, but there was a rush right before we got in line and we'd just picked up fastpasses for Everest so we couldn't do that and didn't want to wait until later for the safari. Anyway, we'd go 9:15 - 1:30ish, stay in the condo until 4:30, head back to the same park (park hopper seemed extraneous with our 6 day passes) and stay until 8 or 9. If our kids were older, we would have stayed until closing.

I wish we had scheduled more days off. We went for 3 days, drove across to Kennedy Space Center and toured there, then came back for 3 more days. By the last day, the kids were DONE. It did take the 6 days to feel like we'd seen everything we wanted to see, but I think we went one day too many. An extra day lounging around the pool in the middle would have helped.

Had a couple more showers this evening. The girls and I gave in and bought 3 ponchos. The guys refrained. :). The last time we bought ponchos was probably 10 years ago (the yellow Mickeys.). We made them last a lot of trips. I think they were a lot cheaper then! They are now $8.50 for adult and $8.00 for child. You can definitely buy cheaper but we'll get out money out of these and I hate to be wet and cold. We are now doing extra Magic hours at MK. Fireworks were great but Tink did not fly due to weather. Pecos Bill is another good counter service in MK that I had forgotten about. They also have the fresh shredded cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions on Condiment bar. And why does popcorn taste better at Disney?? Oh and don't forget the Dole Whip treats!

Had a couple more showers this evening. The girls and I gave in and bought 3 ponchos. The guys refrained. :). The last time we bought ponchos was probably 10 years ago (the yellow Mickeys.). We made them last a lot of trips. I think they were a lot cheaper then! They are now $8.50 for adult and $8.00 for child. You can definitely buy cheaper but we'll get out money out of these and I hate to be wet and cold. We are now doing extra Magic hours at MK. Fireworks were great but Tink did not fly due to weather. Pecos Bill is another good counter service in MK that I had forgotten about. They also have the fresh shredded cheese, sauteed mushrooms and onions on Condiment bar. And why does popcorn taste better at Disney?? Oh and don't forget the Dole Whip treats!

Thanks for the update! I would love to have a Dole Whip right now! :tongue_smilie:

How exciting! Thanks for posting.

I wonder if anyone else has posted here while riding the Disney monorail! :D

I heard they changed the voice of monorail man!! :crying: I just don't think I can stand someone else telling me, "Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas."

The fact that in my family that sentence has become a catch phrase to be repeated at odd times (like in a crowded public elevator) doesn't mean we're weird or anything...just so you know. And we always discover a fellow Mousejunkie whenever we say it. :lol:

Just in case anyone needs a fix:

Thanks for the update! I would love to have a Dole Whip right now! :tongue_smilie:

I'm a Citrus Swirl girl, myself. :)

I love any and all incarnations of the Dole Whip!!! I partake of them liberally everytime I'm in MK. I'm pretty sure it's an actual addiction that will take me a 12-step program to get over. :lol:

We booked! I am not getting my Christmas trip, but February will do. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone know if Dole Whip is dairy free? My food allergy kiddo can tolerate most yogurts, cheese and butter, but milk and ice cream require immediate Benadryl. If Dole Whip is dairy free, my 2 yo will be one.happy.girl.

We booked! I am not getting my Christmas trip, but February will do. :tongue_smilie:

Anyone know if Dole Whip is dairy free? My food allergy kiddo can tolerate most yogurts, cheese and butter, but milk and ice cream require immediate Benadryl. If Dole Whip is dairy free, my 2 yo will be one.happy.girl.

It is lactose free but has sodium caseinate.

:lol::lol::lol:

Ok, I will get the book, lol there is 25% resort merchandise purchases from the Disney store until tomorrow night btw for anyone looking to buy stuff use the code extra25. (I am sure I am not the only one who got that email but wanted to be sure I shared!)

at what age would you say a girl would be 'over' trying to get autographs while at Disney?

Um....never? :D We still get autographs. When I get home, I actually take them out of the autograph book and put them on the scrapbook page with the photos we've taken with the characters. Otherwise, the book just sits there forever and no one looks at it again. LOL

We also have the characters do fun poses with us, so that we're all not standing there like bumps on a log. Daisy Duck kissed my 11 year old son full on the mouth and it is the cutest photo ever! We do "princess poses" with the princesses...hands held up under chin, flared "princess" hands at our sides, princess hands at the sides of our face looking surprised, etc. They love it! We try to come up with something fun for all of them. Pluto got down on his hands and knees like a real dog and my dd handed him his bone for the photo while my son petted his head. Super cute!! Oh, and we did "kitten paws" with Marie from the Aristocats. She's precious.

Do you come up with these on your own, or have you seen them in other forum posts, or in the park?

A little of everything. I love looking at other people's photos, they always have great ideas, and I've also had characters do spontaneous cute things on their own. Sometimes it helps if you have suggestions, because the characters kind of have to get a feel for you. I've learned that if you are fun and want to play around with the photo...they do, too. I think they get bored sometimes and it livens things up a little bit.

You can also ask the characters to pose with each other, if you have a pair...Mickey and Minnie, Buzz and Woody, Donald and Daisy, etc. They do some cute poses together. Mickey and Minnie will "kiss" with their noses touching if you ask them. That is a darling photo for a scrapbook!

• 2 weeks later...

Well...now that we are back and settled into school but still fresh from WDW...I thought I would post a few of our favorite tips that work well for us.

1. We like to get the AAA parking pass. I actually bought the last one for $5 (including shipping) on Ebay. It's not worth much more than that but, at times, it is really handy.

2. While most days we do like driving to the parks instead of taking the bus for maximum flexibility to run over to another resort to eat, store things in the cars that we might want later in the day, we never drive to Magic Kingdom. The bus drop off for MK is much quicker than having to park at the TTC. (Of course, this applies only if you are staying on property.)

3. We take water flavoring into the parks but never worry about carrying water. WDW is very generous with large cups of ice water free. (And remember: there aren't many things that are free at WDW!)

4. A few trips ago I broke down and bought one of those over the door shoe organizers. I must admit, I have liked using it. At Coronado (where we almost always stay) I hang it on the clothes rod. It is so visible and nice to throw in the sunscreen, brushes, neosporin, ponytails, and all the myriad little things that are nice to have handy so I don't have to always dig through the suitcase.

5. One of our favorite traditions (if not THE favorite) is to go to Port Orleans French Quarter for fresh, made to order beignets (and we request extra powdered sugar.) This a must AT LEAST once every trip.

6. Our favorite on property entertainment is Elliott Dyson, also at French Quarter (for the last 13 years). I'm sometimes not much of a sax person but Elliott is a definite exception and he doesn't just play sax. There is just something so soothing about his music and he talks to the audience and calls people by name. Truly talented. It really does seem like a magical evening when all three of my kids, at very different ages, are sitting around the table with us and all are completely engaged while Elliott is playing old music from Beach Boys to Ray Charles to the theme from Aladdin. We usually just wander over one evening, grab some beignets, and enjoy an hour or so. (We went to see Bob at Riverside once but Elliott is far more our style.)

7. The above tips are why we like to have a car on property. If we fly, we usually always rent a car - which is another tip. I have never failed to get a great deal in renting in Florida. You do need to be persistent and willing to search for codes, etc. In June when we were there I got a full size car for ten days for $130 - all taxes included. We have taken Magical Express a couple times and for shorter trips it is a nice choice but the freedom to move around easier is usually worth it for us.

8. OK final tip: ALWAYS take a picture of the back of your ticket with your phone or digital camera. If you lose it, leave it in the fast pass machine, or just forget it in the room...Guest Relations can cancel that one and issue another one as long as you have that number. A lot of grief can be avoided by just this simple step.

And now to share one magical moment from this last trip that only those who have experienced Disney will really appreciate. DH's board was being wined and dined by Disney since they host a large convention there every year. On one evening I went with him for a very special night. We were picked up by a small bus at Coronado and transported into the back side of Epcot - which was very bare with gravel lots and looked very industrial. We were dropped off at a stairway and door (with a couple Disney escorts, of course.) When we went through the door, we were suddenly in China. We were escorted through China to Norway. To the left of the Norway ride entrance we went through another door and up a stairway to a private room with full buffet and bar. (There were about 12 of us in the group.) The food was a little "different" for me and not my favorite meal but the experience of being above Norway was the best part. After dinner we then followed another escort who was carrying a lighted torch (not fire - just a big glow stick.) We were taken from Norway all the way around to the United Kingdom - right next to the fish and chips stand. A guard was standing at a rope and we were escorted on to a private viewing area for Illuminations with a huge dessert buffet. This time the food was beautiful and so wonderful that I couldn't resist trying most of it! There were so many of those treats from all the countries that you want to try but would spend a mint in sampling! And the layout was just beautiful. And for the first time in all our trips, we weren't standing elbow to elbow waiting for the show to begin and trying to get a good place to be able to see! It was a very special evening...but, again, only if you are a true Disney fan will you relate to how fun it was to be taken in free, served dinner above a country and not have to wait an hour holding a spot for the family to see the show. :) I did wish the kids could have been with us but then I decided they were already getting kid-level special by just being at WDW and this beautiful, warm night was for Mom and Dad! (And DD21 had them at MK watching the fireworks, anyway.) So I guess my best tip is to marry a DH who has business trips to WDW. :)

And because I still have Pixie Dust swirling in my brain...Have a magical day! :)

Awww, what an AWESOME Disney moment!!! I love it when Pixie Dust happens!!! And I really enjoy getting away for a romantic evening with dh whenever we're there. Lots of people don't realize what a beautiful and romantic place it can be...especially in some of the signature restaurants.

And I'm am all about that shoe organizer thing. My dh thought I was nuts for bringing it the first time, but now he always asks if I've packed it. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you ask stay at a WDW resort, do you pack less and do laundry there, or pack what you need to avoid laundry?

I am leaning toward the no laundry option because we have a large family (lots of laundry), and I would love a vacation with no laundry and no cooking. But, I have also heard that the rooms are quite small...

For those of you ask stay at a WDW resort, do you pack less and do laundry there, or pack what you need to avoid laundry?

I am leaning toward the no laundry option because we have a large family (lots of laundry), and I would love a vacation with no laundry and no cooking. But, I have also heard that the rooms are quite small...

I also have a large family and I choose to pack less and do laundry once. I pack plenty of underwear, so they don't get to the laundry. We stay for 10 days, so the amount of laundry that a family of 7 can generate would be crazy to pack! Plus, the kids like to wear Disney T shirts.

I usually go by myself and wash 4 outfits per person(or so) maybe pj's too.. I walk down and get a snack or a fun drink from the foodcourt while the laundry is going. It is quiet time for me.:)

:D bump for laundry recommendations.

We pack what we need for the week. Family of 4, we stay in the value resorts, and yes, the rooms are small, but clothes are easy enough to work out.

We unpack everything, and the suitcases go back to the car to save room. There is a lot more hanging space rather than dresser space, so we bring a couple of those hanging canvas cubbies. If you prefer to hang your clothes, you will need to bring extra hangers.

I also like to bring small plastic totes (like shoebox size and a bit larger) to make better use of the shelf above the hanging rod - it's wire, so it's hard to set things on it smoothly, or stack things. The totes are great for stuff like medicine you are bringing 'just in case.' which I definitely recommend, b/c they won't always have what you want or what you are used to.

I also have a large family and I choose to pack less and do laundry once. I pack plenty of underwear, so they don't get to the laundry. We stay for 10 days, so the amount of laundry that a family of 7 can generate would be crazy to pack! Plus, the kids like to wear Disney T shirts.

I usually go by myself and wash 4 outfits per person(or so) maybe pj's too.. I walk down and get a snack or a fun drink from the foodcourt while the laundry is going. It is quiet time for me.:)

We pack what we need for the week. Family of 4, we stay in the value resorts, and yes, the rooms are small, but clothes are easy enough to work out.

We unpack everything, and the suitcases go back to the car to save room. There is a lot more hanging space rather than dresser space, so we bring a couple of those hanging canvas cubbies. If you prefer to hang your clothes, you will need to bring extra hangers.

I also like to bring small plastic totes (like shoebox size and a bit larger) to make better use of the shelf above the hanging rod - it's wire, so it's hard to set things on it smoothly, or stack things. The totes are great for stuff like medicine you are bringing 'just in case.' which I definitely recommend, b/c they won't always have what you want or what you are used to.

Thanks!

I should add that we are driving, so we have plenty of room in the van for the clothes.