Menu

Disney Planning Addicts Unite! Post your favorite WDW vacation tips here!!!

besroma

I don't know if anyone has mentioned that anything you buy in the parks, you can have sent to your resort room so no carrying around purchases (I really like to travel light lol).

oh and try to be around Canada when the band (forgot their name) is playing, they are really good. Also the acrobatic waiters in France or Italy are fun to watch. The World Showcase is our very favorite place in any of the parks. Be sure to go to the bakeries in France and Norway (the hot ,gooey, cream filled preztels, yummy)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually carry my SLR around my neck while I'm in "photo-mode," even on rides. I move it to the back pack when I don't want it anymore. We only take one smallish backpack into the park, and since we're still in double-stroller mode, we leave it underneath.

My Disney bag is my Disney Dooney & Bourke wristlet. It's just big enough for my iPhone, lip gloss, a comb, KTTW, and AP. If I need anything else, I toss it in the backpack.

We "mark" our stroller with some identifier so it's easy to find in the stroller sea. The cast members are constantly moving them around, so when you come out of a restaurant or a ride, etc, it will rarely be where you left it.

When we were on the cruise in Feb., the head interior designer for WDW was there, as well, and she did 2 presentations which I eagerly attended! She showed tons of photos and drawings and told so many stories; it was fabulous! The Be Our Guest Restaurant looks pretty great, and the suite in the castle...Oh, my goodness... Well, it's just incredible. She told the whole story about the day she learned it was going to be developed and that she was in charge and how excited she was. It was incredibly interesting.

Dooney and Bourke now have a VERY lightweight fabric Disney backpack. I nabbed one this weekend for $198 minus my 20% discount! One patron told me to be careful, however, because it can get dirty. It's the white fabric with the crayola colorful Disney characters scattered everywhere.

For those who think it's geeky to carry a fanny pack, this backpack takes the cake, especially when worn atop a Mickey t-shirt. And it's big enough to place an SLR camera for those so inclined.

:)

the good thing is we are leaving the littlest one home so we will only have the 7 yr old who will actually be practically 8 (will turn the next month) I will still think about the stroller for her though. That was a great tip!

So are backpacks ok in the parks? I will be looking for a battery extender for my phone if nothing else and she can have that to play with in lines. :bigear::bigear::bigear: keep the tips coming! I am not sure how many table service meals we are planning. I think probably only a few and more counter service. That diner actually sounds like something we would like! I MUST have those nutella sammie things too (dd will LOVE those, she is a nutella freak!)

We still bring the umbrella stroller to hold our bags & sweaters :D. When the kiddies were 7, we didn't push them in it, but would let them sit in it if there was a long wait for the bus.

As far as the phone, I'm a purist - playing electronic games AT Disney? Perish the thought! :tongue_smilie: Many of the rides (pretty much all the newer ones) have lots of stuff to look at and even do while in line, and of course there's Hidden Mickeys and people watching. We've always been kept pretty busy talking about the attraction we just saw, or the one we were about to see, and so on. With fast passes and a little planning, you won't be spending unreasonable amounts of time in line anway.

My biggest tip is to have a touring plan. The Unofficial Guide to Disney is my favorite book (and touringplans.com is their site). You can always veer off the plan if you wish, but having one saves precious time dithering over what to do next, and ensures that everyone gets to do their top choice in each park.

Don't miss the fireworks at Magic Kingdom, even if you normally don't like fireworks. It cannot be compared! I have great pics of my kids at 6 & 8, gasping and pointing at the brightly lit sky.

Use shows and air conditioned attractions to get in a little rest. Florida can get hot any month of the year, and sitting in a comfy chair is always nice. We always note these attractions on the map each day.

We are at the Art of Animation resort from Dec 7 to the 15 right now. I have no problem moving dates or hotels ;0) I LOVE the more expensive food but if we are paying we will end up more counter service because DH is not as willing to pay for 'ambiance'.

If you can figure something out I am all for it!

My Disney bag is my Disney Dooney & Bourke wristlet. It's just big enough for my iPhone, lip gloss, a comb, KTTW, and AP. If I need anything else, I toss it in the backpack.

Dooney and Bourke now have a VERY lightweight fabric Disney backpack. I nabbed one this weekend for $198 minus my 20% discount! One patron told me to be careful, however, because it can get dirty. It's the white fabric with the crayola colorful Disney characters scattered everywhere.

For those who think it's geeky to carry a fanny pack, this backpack takes the cake, especially when worn atop a Mickey t-shirt. And it's big enough to place an SLR camera for those so inclined.:)

Oh, just GIVE me another reason to add to my Disney Dooney bag collection!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: I am addicted to that stuff!!

For those who think it's geeky to carry a fanny pack, this backpack takes the cake, especially when worn atop a Mickey t-shirt. And it's big enough to place an SLR camera for those so inclined.

Well, now, THIS is certainly a temptation!!!:lol: I wonder if it's one of the things waiting in the email from Disney with the words "Dooney & Bourke" and "new" in the title that I've been trying not to open...;)

So far, mine are all leather. They're all different shapes and colors. I have one from the parks that has classic pics of rides and characters on it that I got in DisneyLand, one from the cruise ship with a DisneyCruise motif, and my favorite Disney Princess themed one from a store in Downtown Disney.

Well, now, THIS is certainly a temptation!!!:lol: I wonder if it's one of the things waiting in the email from Disney with the words "Dooney & Bourke" and "new" in the title that I've been trying not to open...;)

So far, mine are all leather. They're all different shapes and colors. I have one from the parks that has classic pics of rides and characters on it that I got in DisneyLand, one from the cruise ship with a DisneyCruise motif, and my favorite Disney Princess themed one from a store in Downtown Disney.

I see we're of the same mind. :lol:

Another one: bring ear plugs, those lightweight disposable kind that mute the noise. Sometimes a bit less noise is welcome. For example, the Sci Fi cafe is cool, but the speakers can't be adjusted, and it was soooo loud that we couldn't fully enjoy ourselves. We actually rigged up a muffler of sorts from tote bags and sweaters, lol.

Bring any medication you might need; the onsite selection is going to be limited. When dd #1 broke out in hives while we were eating at the Grand Floridian, they didn't have liquid Benedryl, which led to much drama and gagging while I whispered fiercely, Swallow it, just swallow it!

This was right before lil' sis walked out and lost her lunch all over the steps. Good times, good times. :D

Which actually leads to another tip: be aware that your kids may be eating food they don't normally eat, and a lot of it. Be ready with meds, and remind them that, just because the Grand Floridian is silly enough to serve you a glass of chocolate milk the size of your head, that doesn't mean you have to be silly enough to finish it.

We still bring the umbrella stroller to hold our bags & sweaters :D. When the kiddies were 7, we didn't push them in it, but would let them sit in it if there was a long wait for the bus.

As far as the phone, I'm a purist - playing electronic games AT Disney? Perish the thought! :tongue_smilie:

You know when I typed that I was even thinking who am I kidding that kid isn't going to get bored! Her brother might but not her!

Oh and the fireworks are a MUST! I am a BIG fan! I am kind of miffed I can't get a table for the Tomorrowland Terrace for the dessert party. I refuse to give up hope and keep trying everyday but so far it is already booked.

I did know about the not having to keep your stuff though, that is something I LOVE about being in a Disney resort.

the good thing is we are leaving the littlest one home so we will only have the 7 yr old who will actually be practically 8 (will turn the next month) I will still think about the stroller for her though. That was a great tip!

So are backpacks ok in the parks? I will be looking for a battery extender for my phone if nothing else and she can have that to play with in lines. :bigear::bigear::bigear: keep the tips coming! I am not sure how many table service meals we are planning. I think probably only a few and more counter service. That diner actually sounds like something we would like! I MUST have those nutella sammie things too (dd will LOVE those, she is a nutella freak!)

If you are leaving the babe, and taking only a 7 year old girl, then I want to trade places with you. That is the perfect age! Here's some more recommendations:

1. The Alice in Wonderland Tea Party at the Grand Floridian. It's about 2 hours and for kiddos only. You and hubby can explore the Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts while your DD is having the time of her life.

2. Also at The Grand Floridian is a cooking class for kiddos. It's not offered all the time, but very well done. It's a must do if your DD likes cookie decorating. They also teach some manners and have the kiddos pass out their cookies in the lobby after the parents return.

3. The pirate cruises are not just for boys. They are a lot of fun and are offered at 4 of the resorts.

4. If your DD is still into dress up, then check out Bibbity Bobbity Boutique at the Castle or Downtown Disney. This is nice to do before eating at one of the princess character meals. And if your DD would rather be a pirate, there's a fun place at Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Magic Kingdom. Advance reservations are required.

5. For your last night, consider a private boat viewing of the fireworks. One can even order chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling punch to enjoy during the show. The drivers are wonderful storytellers, especially the ones during the Illuminations show at Epcot. One can order this special event from The Yacht Club or The Grand Floridian.

6. Rent bikes at Port Orleans Riverside. It's my favorite place to ride a bike, but many of the resorts offer bike rentals. I'm not sure about the one you're staying in, because I have not stayed at Art of Animation.

7. A seven y.o. is sure to love the kids clubs if you and hubby want to dine alone one night. Just be prepared to hear her fuss about not wanting to go home.

8. Plan ahead for each day in the park. Get a generalized visual of what you want to do each day before you go. Remember that there is NO WAY to do everything in each park in only one visit.

If you are leaving the babe, and taking only a 7 year old girl, then I want to trade places with you. That is the perfect age! Here's some more recommendations:

1. The Alice in Wonderland Tea Party at the Grand Floridian. It's about 2 hours and for kiddos only. You and hubby can explore the Grand Floridian and Polynesian resorts while your DD is having the time of her life.

2. Also at The Grand Floridian is a cooking class for kiddos. It's not offered all the time, but very well done. It's a must do if your DD likes cookie decorating. They also teach some manners and have the kiddos pass out their cookies in the lobby after the parents return.

3. The pirate cruises are not just for boys. They are a lot of fun and are offered at 4 of the resorts.

4. If your DD is still into dress up, then check out Bibbity Bobbity Boutique at the Castle or Downtown Disney. This is nice to do before eating at one of the princess character meals. And if your DD would rather be a pirate, there's a fun place at Pirates of the Caribbean ride in Magic Kingdom. Advance reservations are required.

5. For your last night, consider a private boat viewing of the fireworks. One can even order chocolate covered strawberries and sparkling punch to enjoy during the show. The drivers are wonderful storytellers, especially the ones during the Illuminations show at Epcot. One can order this special event from The Yacht Club or The Grand Floridian.

6. Rent bikes at Port Orleans Riverside. It's my favorite place to ride a bike, but many of the resorts offer bike rentals. I'm not sure about the one you're staying in, because I have not stayed at Art of Animation.

7. A seven y.o. is sure to love the kids clubs if you and hubby want to dine alone one night. Just be prepared to hear her fuss about not wanting to go home.

8. Plan ahead for each day in the park. Get a generalized visual of what you want to do each day before you go. Remember that there is NO WAY to do everything in each park in only one visit.

I have to get my mom the BEST Christmas present for keeping the little one for us!

Tell me more about the Kid clubs, please. I don't really know much about that.

I was actually considering the Bibbity Bobbity boutique and or the tea party...

OH how do I find more about about the cooking class? That is a HUGE favorite for her!

We are at the Art of Animation resort from Dec 7 to the 15 right now. I have no problem moving dates or hotels ;0) I LOVE the more expensive food but if we are paying we will end up more counter service because DH is not as willing to pay for 'ambiance'.

If you can figure something out I am all for it!

Oh I should add DH is hinting he isn't going to enjoy trying to 'sneak' adult time in a room surrounded by Ariel and 'the crab' anyway! lol

Okay. I would call and see. I don't know what your rate is now, but I went ahead and looked for Port Orleans Riverside. It was the cheapest option at the Moderate resorts. If you stay at a moderate, you get the nicer dining plan, so I went with that. It's all been recently renovated!!!

I got $2300 for the eight nights and two day tickets. That is what you need to qualify for free dining. This way, you'd get one sit down, one counter service and one snack a day. Plus you get a mug that will get you free drinks at your resort during your stay. Dh and I used it for coffee and the kids used it for hot chocolate every morning.

How does that compare with your current plan if you include food?

I can't believe noone has mentioned the Socerer's of the magic kingdom game. it is a free game that has you visit portals throughout the MK. you can get a free pack of cards everyday you visit the magic kingdom. the people can trade cards at the portals. neat game.

We just got back from WDW yesterday.

Robin in NJ

Another one: bring ear plugs, those lightweight disposable kind that mute the noise. Sometimes a bit less noise is welcome. For example, the Sci Fi cafe iit![/i]

YES!!! Everything there is so loud. It only seems to bother my dd and me though. So, I bring a few pair and it makes out trip much more enjoyable!

This was right before lil' sis walked out and lost her lunch all over the steps. Good times, good times. :D

If

Ahve you done the other tea party? The one with Aurora? It's ridiculously expensive, but I really want to be there with my dd and the Tea Party there looks like I'd just drop her off?

I have to get my mom the BEST Christmas present for keeping the little one for us!

Tell me more about the Kid clubs, please. I don't really know much about that.

I was actually considering the Bibbity Bobbity boutique and or the tea party...

OH how do I find more about about the cooking class? That is a HUGE favorite for her!

You will LOVE the Boutique. Try to get an appointment in the morning in the castle and then do lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table. Totally worth it!!!!

And the biggest tip of all???? Kiss all your money goodbye as soon as you drive through the gates. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it's best to just accept that you will drop a small fortune in this place and that you will love every. single. second. of it. :D

I figured out that it costs us around $800 per day in WDW...without the souvenirs and extras that we buy. So, I scrimp and save and plan and buy gift cards with all the extra money I can find in my budget for months with that price in mind. Then, when I get there, I completely forget about the money and just have a blast and make memories that will last a lifetime!!

Something else you may want to look into: pre-paying for Photopass plus. It's $169 for every single photo the Disney park photographers take of you while you're in the parks. This includes photos taken on rides (like Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, etc....those alone are $14.95 each if you purchase them there) and photos taken as part of any character dining package. We do this and we LOVE it. We hunt down every Disney photographer we see and have them take our picture constantly. The more photos they take...the more money you save. Plus, I actually get to be IN the photos with my family. You can also ask the photogs if they can do a "magic shot" where they insert a character in the photo and have you pose accordingly. We have the cutest photo of my dd "holding" Tinkerbell in her hands. They do that shot in front of the castle.

You will receive a package and a photopass plus card to give to all the photographers who take your picture (and to use at the ride photo places). They scan the card, and when your trip is finished, you get the CD with all your park photos within a week. Then you can take the CD anywhere (or use your own computer) and have them printed out as many times as you want and in any size you want. We always give a nice family photo to the grandparents every year for Christmas, complete in a new Disney frame.

Another tip: Take a picture of the bar code on the BACK of your photopass card with your phones so that if your family is separated, the photographer or the ride photo machine can scan it from your phone. This works like a charm and has ensured that we get ALL photos taken of us (sometimes my kids are off in the parks by themselves and don't have the actual card in their possession).

We are going the first week of December. I have been waiting to find out if Disney is extending their military appreciation special. It looks like they are!

We stay off campus. LOL But we will have our car. I am so excited to go at Christmas. We haven't been to Disney in 8 years. I can't wait to see everything again. I love Disney!

I am hoping to attend the Christmas party and the candlelight parade. I am so exited!!

For all the Dooney & Bourke fans, here's that bad boy:

http://www.disneystore.com/bags-totes-disney-sketch-backpack-by-dooney-bourke/mp/1314017/1000291/

The ridiculously expensive princess Aurora event at The Grand Floridian someone mentioned was not worth the money, in my opinion. But, my DD is a tomboy so she was not impressed. When we did it, it was called The Perfectly Princess Tea Party or something like that. It was $220 for both of us a few years ago. I don't know the cost now. There wasn't much food and the kiddos got a crown and a doll. There is a character event as one of the princesses comes at the end for autograph signing. A helper tells a story during the tea.

The kids clubs are found at all of the Deluxe resorts. My DD's personal favorites are The Neverland Club at the Polynesian and Simba's Club at Animal Kingdom. You can schedule these while making dining reservations. Some reviews of each can be found with a quick google. If you choose Simba's Club, then I highly recommend you and your DH dine at Jiko's. The food is exotic and fun. At one time, they had a romance safari available through the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The safari included a ride with a trainer, wine and cheese during the safari, and then ended with a chef's dinner at Jiko's. Talk about amazing!!!! But, I don't know if it is still available since I cannot afford that kind of fun anymore. :)

You are getting some amazing tips in this thread. You should have the best trip ever! And the Hive is certainly going to help you spend all of your money to guarantee it. :lol:

For all the Dooney & Bourke fans, here's that bad boy:

http://www.disneystore.com/bags-totes-disney-sketch-backpack-by-dooney-bourke/mp/1314017/1000291/

The ridiculously expensive princess Aurora event at The Grand Floridian someone mentioned was not worth the money, in my opinion. But, my DD is a tomboy so she was not impressed. When we did it, it was called The Perfectly Princess Tea Party or something like that. It was $220 for both of us a few years ago. I don't know the cost now. There wasn't much food and the kiddos got a crown and a doll. There is a character event as one of the princesses comes at the end for autograph signing. A helper tells a story during the tea.

The kids clubs are found at all of the Deluxe resorts. My DD's personal favorites are The Neverland Club at the Polynesian and Simba's Club at Animal Kingdom. You can schedule these while making dining reservations. Some reviews of each can be found with a quick google. If you choose Simba's Club, then I highly recommend you and your DH dine at Jiko's. The food is exotic and fun. At one time, they had a romance safari available through the Animal Kingdom Lodge. The safari included a ride with a trainer, wine and cheese during the safari, and then ended with a chef's dinner at Jiko's. Talk about amazing!!!! But, I don't know if it is still available since I cannot afford that kind of fun anymore. :)

You are getting some amazing tips in this thread. You should have the best trip ever! And the Hive is certainly going to help you spend all of your money to guarantee it. :lol:

Hat aurora tea party is now $300 after tax and tip. Maybe I will book breakfast at asherkus instead. Usually you get what you pay for at disney, so I assumed this would be awesome too!

We are going the first week of December. I have been waiting to find out if Disney is extending their military appreciation special. It looks like they are!

We stay off campus. LOL But we will have our car. I am so excited to go at Christmas. We haven't been to Disney in 8 years. I can't wait to see everything again. I love Disney!

I am hoping to attend the Christmas party and the candlelight parade. I am so exited!!

You will have so much fun! I can't wait to see your report when you come back!

Question - We usually stay off-property and rent a car. Next trip we are planning to stay at a Disney resort and not rent a car. Will my kiddos need carseats for the bus from the airport? Kiddos will be 3 & 5.

Thanks!

I don't even think you CAN use a car seat. As far as I know, there are no seat belts on the ME buses. Also note that there are no seatbelts on any Disney buses on property either...and the drivers pack you in like sardines. You may find yourself standing on more than one occasion...your children will have to stand in that case as well.

I can't believe noone has mentioned the Socerer's of the magic kingdom game. it is a free game that has you visit portals throughout the MK. you can get a free pack of cards everyday you visit the magic kingdom. the people can trade cards at the portals. neat game.

We just got back from WDW yesterday.

Robin in NJ

I have been to WDW too many times to count and I have no idea what you are talking about. BUT... now I must know! My kids would l love this!

I don't even think you CAN use a car seat. As far as I know, there are no seat belts on the ME buses. Also note that there are no seatbelts on any Disney buses on property either...and the drivers pack you in like sardines. You may find yourself standing on more than one occasion...your children will have to stand in that case as well.

Thanks! Exactly what I was thinking, but then DH made me paranoid. It's a big deal for us to not rent a car. We have a kiddo with multiple food allergies, so are used to making 98% of our own food. Relying on food service for a week will be a new challenge for us. DH wants to do our normal off-property condo with home cooked meals every night ... I'm ready for the complete Disney experience this time!!

Edited by Beth.

ITA about Princess Aurora's Tea Party at the Floridian. We had a good time and DD 5 loved the doll, but it's definitely not worth the expense, IMO. And it dragged on so long that after 15 min of standing in line waiting to "parade" around the lobby up to the store at the end of the party, my DD had reached total exhaustion and a cast member had to show us out through a back staircase. :lol:

Hat aurora tea party is now $300 after tax and tip. Maybe I will book breakfast at asherkus instead. Usually you get what you pay for at disney, so I assumed this would be awesome too!

Jennifer, I would amend your statement to read, "Usually you get what you pay for at Disney, unless it proves wildly popular, then it's priced it through the roof, to the point that it's a rip off." ;)

Having been a "heavy user" of WDW since well, when there was only MK and Epcot, I've seen it happen too many times to believe it's not standard operating (pricing) procedure. I just don't have the mentality to turn off price/value, even on vacation, so, it's a rub for me.

That's also why I don't like to yak on the boards too much about gems I do like. If they get crazy popular, they get ruined. Of course, the flip side of that is that if they don't get enough traffic, they're gone! Sigh...

I have been to WDW too many times to count and I have no idea what you are talking about. BUT... now I must know! My kids would l love this!

It's pretty new. We went in January, and it hadn't quite started yet :sad:

Of course, I'm trying really hard to get us there for the end of November, there's another reason!

ITA about Princess Aurora's Tea Party at the Floridian. We had a good time and DD 5 loved the doll, but it's definitely not worth the expense, IMO. And it dragged on so long that after 15 min of standing in line waiting to "parade" around the lobby up to the store at the end of the party, my DD had reached total exhaustion and a cast member had to show us out through a back staircase. :lol:

Actually, this is very good to read!!! You just saved me nearly $200! (I went ahead and booked Akerashus (or however that is spelled) instead!

Jennifer, I would amend your statement to read, "Usually you get what you pay for at Disney, unless it proves wildly popular, then it's priced it through the roof, to the point that it's a rip off." ;)

Having been a "heavy user" of WDW since well, when there was only MK and Epcot, I've seen it happen too many times to believe it's not standard operating (pricing) procedure. I just don't have the mentality to turn off price/value, even on vacation, so, it's a rub for me.

That's also why I don't like to yak on the boards too much about gems I do like. If they get crazy popular, they get ruined. Of course, the flip side of that is that if they don't get enough traffic, they're gone! Sigh...

See, this is why I need to keep going back to Disney! I don't know this stuff yet. I should have been clued in when the cruise line prices went through the roof.

The only time I'm able to turn off my frugal-ness has been on vacation! I never splurge like this. On vacation, I really enjoy doing some of these things!

So, maybe you can PM me some of your more frugal finds that haven't gotten wildly popular yet? :001_smile: I swear I won't tell anyone!

Thanks! Exactly what I was thinking, but then DH made me paranoid. It's a big deal for us to not rent a car. We have a kiddo with multiple food allergies, so are used to making 98% of our own food. Relying on food service for a week will be a new challenge for us. DH wants to do our normal off-property condo with home cooked meals every night ... I'm ready for the complete Disney experience this time!!

You'll be FINE!!! And, I bet you'll want to go back! We started goign to Disney because we heard they were great with food allergies. That is why we go back. It's a true vacation for all of us.

So many times when we're eating at Disney, ds can't have the rolls on the table. They will go back and get him his own "safe" rolls. If he can't have any dessert on the menu, they go get him a Mickey bar or a make-your-own sundae.

Enjoy!

Disney is AWESOME with food allergies. I was in heaven and got so used to it that it was a rude awakening when we came out of the World and started going back to normal restaurants where I would get this look if I asked about food allergies: :confused::001_huh:

That is why you only tell US!

I know that if you get to the MK early enough and go on Tom Sawyer's Island and find the paintbrushes you get some little something, a fast pass or something. We never get there early enough! :D

Make a social group!

In the meantime, I'll give you one of my sighs. Bistro de Paris. It was the only place where we had 100% success of getting in without reservations.

We would always "dress" for dinner -- nice shoes, slacks for my dh, slacks or skirt for me, no printed tee shirts on the kids. We'd politely inquire at the podium. We'd always be told it might work out in 1/2 hour if we could check back. We'd go do the movie, and then go back. They'd seat us. Usually we got the lousy banquette by the stairs, but when you have little ones, that's the best spot in the restaurant because it's close to the bathrooms!!!! :tongue_smilie: It also gave us an overview of the whole dining room, where far too often there was a pretentious table trying to outsnoot the French waiters. :lol:

And the folks who worked there were lovely! Until recently, there wasn't a kids menu. "I'm sorry madame, we have no children's menu." I'd assure them that we knew and that was OK. I have this memory burned in my mind's eye of my dd, not quite 2, having an animated discussion of what she should have for dinner (Our waiter probed first, then he suggested all sorts of entrees, which he was going to have to convince the chef to make.). They agreed on a sausage ragu over pasta, and then he turned to go away. He stopped, looked back and her and said, "Chocolat milk?" And she darn near lept from her high chair to say, "Yes, yes, chocolat milk." She'd never had it before but he had already won her trust by considering her food likes. We told her that "They only have chocolate milk in France" because she fell in love with it, and would have had it constantly otherwise. She always had it there from then on. :D

Anyway, Bistro de Paris is now decomissioned, and something new, more family-friendly will go in its place, and I lost one of the great places to eat, chill, and enjoy an occasional guest behaving badly. :tongue_smilie:

That is why you only tell US!

I know that if you get to the MK early enough and go on Tom Sawyer's Island and find the paintbrushes you get some little something, a fast pass or something. We never get there early enough! :D

We always do the paintbrush thing!! We found a particularly well hidden one in the afternoon once. The prize has always been fastpasses to either Splash or Thunder Mountain for your entire party. One time the CM did write us a special FP for Peter Pan just because my son was too short for the other two rides, and he was the one who found the paintbrush. :D

Make a social group!

In the meantime, I'll give you one of my sighs. Bistro de Paris. It was the only place where we had 100% success of getting in without reservations.

We would always "dress" for dinner -- nice shoes, slacks for my dh, slacks or skirt for me, no printed tee shirts on the kids. We'd politely inquire at the podium. We'd always be told it might work out in 1/2 hour if we could check back. We'd go do the movie, and then go back. They'd seat us. Usually we got the lousy banquette by the stairs, but when you have little ones, that's the best spot in the restaurant because it's close to the bathrooms!!!! :tongue_smilie: It also gave us an overview of the whole dining room, where far too often there was a pretentious table trying to outsnoot the French waiters. :lol:

And the folks who worked there were lovely! Until recently, there wasn't a kids menu. "I'm sorry madame, we have no children's menu." I'd assure them that we knew and that was OK. I have this memory burned in my mind's eye of my dd, not quite 2, having an animated discussion of what she should have for dinner (Our waiter probed first, then he suggested all sorts of entrees, which he was going to have to convince the chef to make.). They agreed on a sausage ragu over pasta, and then he turned to go away. He stopped, looked back and her and said, "Chocolat milk?" And she darn near lept from her high chair to say, "Yes, yes, chocolat milk." She'd never had it before but he had already won her trust by considering her food likes. We told her that "They only have chocolate milk in France" because she fell in love with it, and would have had it constantly otherwise. She always had it there from then on. :D

Anyway, Bistro de Paris is now decomissioned, and something new, more family-friendly will go in its place, and I lost one of the great places to eat, chill, and enjoy an occasional guest behaving badly. :tongue_smilie:

Wait just a minute here!!!!! You are giving us a hint on something we can't take advantage of!!!! This does NOT count and I have yet to receive a PM from you . . . :glare: Come on now. SPILL IT!!!!

:001_smile: I hadn't realized this restaurant was no more. My sister and her dh ate there a few years ago and loved it!

We always do the paintbrush thing!! We found a particularly well hidden one in the afternoon once. The prize has always been fastpasses to either Splash or Thunder Mountain for your entire party. One time the CM did write us a special FP for Peter Pan just because my son was too short for the other two rides, and he was the one who found the paintbrush. :D

WHAT? I never knew of this!!! So, get there early, find a paintbrush, get a Fast pass???? Cool.

I also read about waking Tinkerbell up? If you are the first girl to the store you get this honor? Anyone know?

:001_smile: I hadn't realized this restaurant was no more. My sister and her dh ate there a few years ago and loved it!

Actually, that was a tip on the down-low. Go to the new place once it opens, and if you like it don't tell too many people about it. ;)

I've been accused by DVC friends of being the gasoline poured on the fire which is the reputation for "Jersey Week." I admit, I've posted more than once on more than one board assents to the caution of avoiding Jersey Week. :blush5:

(By the time I got on this board, I'd mellowed out a bit. :tongue_smilie:)

Actually, that was a tip on the down-low. Go to the new place once it opens, and if you like it don't tell too many people about it. ;)

I've been accused by DVC friends of being the gasoline poured on the fire which is the reputation for "Jersey Week." I admit, I've posted more than once on more than one board assents to the caution of avoiding Jersey Week. :blush5:

(By the time I got on this board, I'd mellowed out a bit. :tongue_smilie:)

Oh my gosh, you're THAT girl??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding, but I have heard the "avoid Jersey week at all cost" speech more than once on another board that shall be nameless. :D

so how do you go about making sure you have food that is safe for the kid with allergies? Is that something that has to be worked out ahead of time...or can you do it once you arrive at each place you eat? We have a kid on the Feingold diet...he won't die if he eats certain foods (like a kid with peanut allergies) but if at all possible we would like to avoid a constant flow of unapproved foods...we will all be more calm if he eats better.

so how do you go about making sure you have food that is safe for the kid with allergies? Is that something that has to be worked out ahead of time...or can you do it once you arrive at each place you eat? We have a kid on the Feingold diet...he won't die if he eats certain foods (like a kid with peanut allergies) but if at all possible we would like to avoid a constant flow of unapproved foods...we will all be more calm if he eats better.

I don't have kids with food allergies, so there may be additional tips to add, but when you make your ressies online, there is a section to specify food allergies/issues for each reservation.

Also, I have read that parents make certain their servers are aware of them as soon as they are seated at the table. I think someone even said that they call ahead to remind the restaurant staff, but I don't know if that is necessary or not.

It looks like it covers Nov. 2-11, but nono, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, because the New Jersey Teacher's Convention is Nov. 8 & 9 this year. Some families will pull kids out of school and take the whole week off. Others jump on planes Tuesday night/Wednesday night to get to FL.

And yes, Diane, I am that girl! :D

Another poster already said that you can let them know ahead by putting it on your reservation. But, if you don't, no worries! They will accommodate the allergy whenever they find out about it. It's just a little easier if you let them know ahead of time. (When we go in, our server already knows and has made arrangements for the chef to come to our table within minutes of our being seated.)

If you are at a Counter Service place - as for the menus. They have them all and you can look through them to find out what is safe and what isn't.

there is a book called something like disney with your special needs. it covers ALL special needs including allergies and what to do to prepare.

it was a great read.

Robin in nj

when we went last year, we were finally told that it was during the month that Europeans and maybe Canadians get their vacation or something like that. We stayed Club Level at Grand Floridian and there was only one other American family there. My teen dd met a boy and his family from Quebec, she spent a lot of time with them, his parents did not speak English so the boy had to translate from French. Also I was the only one in my family waiting in line for the hot air balloon and I did not hear anyone in line speaking English, it was interesting to be there.

when we went last year, we were finally told that it was during the month that Europeans and maybe Canadians get their vacation or something like that. We stayed Club Level at Grand Floridian and there was only one other American family there. My teen dd met a boy and his family from Quebec, she spent a lot of time with them, his parents did not speak English so the boy had to translate from French. Also I was the only one in my family waiting in line for the hot air balloon and I did not hear anyone in line speaking English, it was interesting to be there.

I remember your story about your dd and the family she met. So sweet!

When we go, we get run over by Brazilian teen groups. I wish I were happier about having them there. But, after they knocked over my dd and my nephew on the same trip, I wanted to hurt them!!!! I think my teen boys actually like having them there!!!