Menu

Recipes using WIC foods for a young mom

This is not true of all pantries though. When we took a drastic pay cut last November I went to a few pantries myself. Some, like Salvation Army, were only 1 visit every 6 months. Others, especially church based ones that received most donations from their members, would say once a month but if someone was really in need would tell them to come back again sooner if they needed something. Pantry Foods were also a shot in the dark when I was receiving them. One visit might be great, then the next visit I might come home with 6 loaves of bread, 2 bottle of soda, and some weird candy and hot dogs. A few times it really wasn't worth my gas spent. There was also no limit to the number of pantries I visited each month. Some did require that I had a voucher saying I had applied for food stamps or that I had met the criteria of another agency, but some just requested my name, our monthly income, and that is it.

When I was receiving WIC for foster children, I had to go in every 3 months for new vouchers and recertification. The next time she has to miss work for that, she may want to schedule time with another agency as well so she can possibly get more help.

I'm sorry you were in a rough spot and hope your situation has improved. How disappointing to have the trip not worth the gas. :(

Good thinking to schedule as many agencies as possible on the day for the WIC appointment.

In Alaska The United Way has a 3 digit number (i think its 211) you can call to find charities and services based on your needs. There is also an agency called L.OV.E inc. that connects people with charities and services based on immediate needs. There maybe something like this in your state that could help connect her with resources.

Also even though she doesn't qualify for food stamps she might ask public assitance about other programs she may qualify for that help with other bills freeing up money for groceries for example daycare assistance, energy assistance, or rent assistance. I don't know what available in your state, but it's worth asking.

Edited by akmommy

You're right that it won't stretch for a month, and it's intended to be a supplemental program so they don't expect it to last a month. I'll see if I can find food banks, etc., in the area. She didn't know of any, and I don't either.

It's been a learning experience for me, finding what support is out there!

Thanks for the meal suggestions.

Sometimes there is more than you think, other times not. Another idea is that if you live a town with a college, find out if the college has a Social Work major (or similar). Call the Department Chairperson's office and ask for a brief appointment/phone conference. Explain the person's situation and ask if the Social Work Department has a list of helping agencies. When I was doing my degree (many, many moons ago), one of the projects we worked on was a Community Resource Database, which new students were continually updating. It was a great resource for anyone, but I don't think many people would think to ask a college department for help. HTH.

Sometimes there is more than you think, other times not. Another idea is that if you live a town with a college, find out if the college has a Social Work major (or similar). Call the Department Chairperson's office and ask for a brief appointment/phone conference. Explain the person's situation and ask if the Social Work Department has a list of helping agencies. When I was doing my degree (many, many moons ago), one of the projects we worked on was a Community Resource Database, which new students were continually updating. It was a great resource for anyone, but I don't think many people would think to ask a college department for help. HTH.

We're near Stanford. Do you think they'd have something like this, or is it more likely to be at a state college/community college?

Something else that is related, but I didn't mention.

If there is a local credit union (not a bank) they are wonderful as they take a very personal interest in their members. Often, they will sponsor classes or schedule them to inform and educate people on the ins/outs of responsible money management.

The other benefit beyond this, is folks from credit unions are generally deep into the local culture and sit on various boards and committees, which leads them to be really *in the know* of networking of the area.

There is absolutely everything to gain here for a young mom trying to find her way.

This is also worth a call and a stop in person.

Something else that is related, but I didn't mention.

If there is a local credit union (not a bank) they are wonderful as they take a very personal interest in their members. Often, they will sponsor classes or schedule them to inform and educate people on the ins/outs of responsible money management.

The other benefit beyond this, is folks from credit unions are generally deep into the local culture and sit on various boards and committees, which leads them to be really *in the know* of networking of the area.

There is absolutely everything to gain here for a young mom trying to find her way.

This is also worth a call and a stop in person.

Another good suggestion! I've got it on my list! Thanks. :)

I'll check out Stanford's options as well.

You guys are fantastic! I spoke with my friend this morning and we're having her over for dinner at the end of the week, so I'll give her all the info collected then. Any other ideas, links, and recipes are welcome!

May I recommend a book called Wildly Affordable Organic? Don't let the title throw you off--the author describes how to cook healthy food for $3 per person, per day, for "regular" food or $5 per person per day buying organic food. She does cook with a lot of beans. She has monthly meal plans and shows how to stretch food throughout the week. Basically, she wrote this book after she put herself on a budget that was reflective of food stamps to see if a person could manage to eat healthy foods on the most restrictive budget possible. She did it, enjoyed it, and wrote a book about it.

The author does have a blog, as well, though that wouldn't be helpful without an internet connection.

Basically, she wrote this book after she put herself on a budget that was reflective of food stamps to see if a person could manage to eat healthy foods on the most restrictive budget possible.

I realize much will depend on a persons family size to income ratio, but every time my family has been on food stamps (basically during periods of unemployment so very little income coming in), our monthly food budget is significantly HIGHER than what we normally spend when my husband is working. T0 the tune of $200-$300 more per month. It's a sad joke but we can actually afford better/healthier food when my husband is not working than when he is.

I realize much will depend on a persons family size to income ratio, but every time my family has been on food stamps (basically during periods of unemployment so very little income coming in), our monthly food budget is significantly HIGHER than what we normally spend when my husband is working. T0 the tune of $200-$300 more per month. It's a sad joke but we can actually afford better/healthier food when my husband is not working than when he is.

You could probably teach many people how to cook on a budget. :grouphug:

This is a really good idea, AND there are no minimums or fees for most normal uses (so there is a fee if you bounce checks, but not a maintenance fee or fee to cash checks or get your statement in the mail). A lot of banks charge poor people huge rates or fees, so it's definitely worth it to find a good arrangements and HAVE a bank account (instead of just using check cashing places).

There are some websites where you can find a credit union such as

http://www.creditunion.coop/

I don't know if you can get any more ideas from this program

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/video/video-need-to-know-july-27-2012-living-on-the-financial-edge/14302/

or one of the organizations profiled in it, The Financial Clinic

In Alaska The United Way has a 3 digit number (i think its 211) you can call to find charities and services based on your needs.

Many places have these.

http://www.211.org/ can give you more information on whether your area has this service.

Can she get oatmeal for some of her cereal? You can use oatmeal and beans and an egg to make a good batch of veggie burgers. Super cheap and filling. You can sneak veggies in there, or not, depending on budget vs nutritional concerns.

Definitely cook the beans in the crockpot. It's the easiest thing ever. Also lentils are nice because they cook fast with no soaking. Lentil stew is easy, fast, cheap, and filling. There are many ways to make it, but here's one I like:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tomato-Curry-Lentil-Stew/Detail.aspx

In reality I use whatever veggies I have leftover and whatever spices I have on hand.

The 211 suggestion was golden! SO much info! Thank you, thank you!

I'll check out the Wildly Affordable Organic book, too.

kalanamak - oddly, the WIC recipes tend to be low cost but primarily composed of WIC ingredients, even on WIC sites. I don't quite get that, but I did try Google first. :)