Menu

Decency of Facebook

I have been noticing lately when I log onto Facebook that there have been ads for lingerie and other ads that don't seem appropriate. I use Facebook to keep up with friends and family who live on the other side of the US and I enjoy it a lot for that factor. (Especially for the cute baby pictures of friends and family!) But, I feel so embarrassed lately logging on when there is a picture of a women's chest scantily clad in black see-through lingerie and other similar ads.:blushing: I don't want to see that! Lately, I was showing my four year old son a picture of his uncle camping and that ad shows up! :scared:Does anyone know if there is some sort of filter or something that I don't have turned on! Can you turn off the ads altogether? Why is that type of ad deemed appropriate? Oh dear, I would like to keep my account but do not want to look at those types of ads. I understand free speech and advertising allows them to make more money but is there a way that I and my family does not have to look at it? I would appreciate any help!

I have been noticing lately when I log onto Facebook that there have been ads for lingerie and other ads that don't seem appropriate. I use Facebook to keep up with friends and family who live on the other side of the US and I enjoy it a lot for that factor. (Especially for the cute baby pictures of friends and family!) But, I feel so embarrassed lately logging on when there is a picture of a women's chest scantily clad in black see-through lingerie and other similar ads.:blushing: I don't want to see that! Lately, I was showing my four year old son a picture of his uncle camping and that ad shows up! :scared:Does anyone know if there is some sort of filter or something that I don't have turned on! Can you turn off the ads altogether? Why is that type of ad deemed appropriate? Oh dear, I would like to keep my account but do not want to look at those types of ads. I understand free speech and advertising allows them to make more money but is there a way that I and my family does not have to look at it? I would appreciate any help!

Do you mean those ads to the right? I delete every ad everytime I think about it, designating it "uninteresting". Today, I only got 4 instead of 6! Progress. You could try that. If you delete them, you usually don't get the same ads or even the same kind of ads back.

Depending which browser you use, you can install AdBlock or a Facebook specific ad blocker. I use the latter in Chrome and I don’t see a single ad.

ETA: I have AdBlock installed as well, but the Facebook specific one takes out ads even it doesn't. I don't know which add-on it is, but I can check if you use Chrome and would like to know.

Edited by nmoira

Depending which browser you use, you can install AdBlock or a Facebook specific ad blocker. I use the latter in Chrome and I don’t see a single ad.

ETA: I have AdBlock installed as well, but the Facebook specific one takes out ads even it doesn't. I don't know which add-on it is, but I can check if you use Chrome and would like to know.

Not the OP but I'm interested. I have AdBlock but it doesn't work on facebook, at least not in Chrome. I haven't checked Firefox in a while. I had what used to be called Better Facebook (I think it's Social Fixer now?), but there were so many glitches and bugs I gave it up. It did get rid of ads though. If there's something else to block them I'd love to hear about it.

Not the OP but I'm interested. I have AdBlock but it doesn't work on facebook, at least not in Chrome. I haven't checked Firefox in a while. I had what used to be called Better Facebook (I think it's Social Fixer now?), but there were so many glitches and bugs I gave it up. It did get rid of ads though. If there's something else to block them I'd love to hear about it.

Facebook Ads Hider

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/leeebdddeggoocipdjiokmjcpidnmoah

Sometimes companies follow you around the web, depending on what websites you visit, to remind you to return, so we get ads for one airline's specials to my husband's country of origin, Jet Pens, and stuff like that. So if you've gone to Victoria's secret, it might be following you.

I use the Firefox browser with the Adblock Plus extension, I never see ads (except for a very few from small businesses on blogs I follow that are placed on each page by the website creator and are not served from ad networks).

Sometimes companies follow you around the web, depending on what websites you visit, to remind you to return, so we get ads for one airline's specials to my husband's country of origin, Jet Pens, and stuff like that. So if you've gone to Victoria's secret, it might be following you.

All of the ads seem completely random for things I never look for online- car insurance, shoes, jail records, "Rachel Ray loses 47 pounds", pest control, lingerie, etc. All the stuff I do shop for/look at online- cleaning products, books, homeschool stuff, toys, baby items, etc. - don't show up. Thank you though!

Thanks everyone for the links to the Ad blockers!

All of the ads seem completely random for things I never look for online- car insurance, shoes, jail records, "Rachel Ray loses 47 pounds", pest control, lingerie, etc. All the stuff I do shop for/look at online- cleaning products, books, homeschool stuff, toys, baby items, etc. - don't show up. Thank you though!

Yeah, I don't understand the ones with grizzled old men, that say, " Moms! Obama wants YOU to go back to school" or whatever.

Thanks everyone for the links to the Ad blockers!

It will also pop up ads for things that your friends are interested in or anything that falls under a particular category that FB has figured you fall under. You are female...lingerie! For awhile I kept getting Joyce Meyer. I can't stand Joyce Meyer, but I'm a Christian female and I have friends that like her and her page and link to her. You may also report the lingerie ads as offensive if you want and after a bit that should eliminate them.

You can also x the ads and it will give you different options to choose as to why you are removing the ad. You can self filter your page that way.

I am just mentioning it because facebook has been getting around adblock of late.

It will also pop up ads for things that your friends are interested in or anything that falls under a particular category that FB has figured you fall under. You are female...lingerie! For awhile I kept getting Joyce Meyer. I can't stand Joyce Meyer, but I'm a Christian female and I have friends that like her and her page and link to her. You may also report the lingerie ads as offensive if you want and after a bit that should eliminate them.

Thank you! This is really helpful! I will definitely be doing this!