Menu

S/O Peri Menopause. . . how can dr. help me?

To recap: I'm super tired these days and dragging around w/ extra caffeine. I'm tired of this. (I'm 48, btw.)

So I have an appoint. w/ my obgyn -- an older woman who seems to have seen it all.

My only concern is that this same dr. put me on birth control pills to manage my periods better about a year or more ago -- and they caused depression. I hopped right off of them when I realized. She didn't say anything but I could tell it bugged her that I didn't continue treatment w/ the pills. Um, yeah, I'd rather have messed up periods than depression from pills.

So. . . any idea what she'll suggest? Hormones? Or something they give women now? See how foggy I am? What are the drawbacks to the current "in" treatment?

I hope this post makes some sense.

TIA,

Alley

She will probably just tell you that everything you're feeling is perfectly normal for a woman your age.

Honestly, if your only symptom is that you're tired, it probably has more to do with your diet, exercise, and stress levels than with perimenopause. The extra caffeine may be causing you to crash afterward, and that would only make you feel more exhausted.

Perhaps you could ask for some blood tests to see if you're deficient in any nutrients before you consider any type of medication.

Sorry you're feeling so lousy! :grouphug:

She will probably just tell you that everything you're feeling is perfectly normal for a woman your age.

Honestly, if your only symptom is that you're tired, it probably has more to do with your diet, exercise, and stress levels than with perimenopause. The extra caffeine may be causing you to crash afterward, and that would only make you feel more exhausted.

Perhaps you could ask for some blood tests to see if you're deficient in any nutrients before you consider any type of medication.

Sorry you're feeling so lousy! :grouphug:

No, this fatigue is markedly different than anything I've had before. I had blood tests done about six mo. ago -- all were fine. I'm thin, eat well, walk the dog every day etc.

I think it's called bio-something that they're putting women on.

Alley

You can try several different kinds of BCP to find one that works for you. They are not all created equal. I love my Ortho-Tri-Lo!! It's a low dose pill that elimates any and all peri-menopause symptoms and PMS for me. I would find out what kind you were on before and then, if your OB suggests trying it again...get another kind.

Other than that, there probably isn't much she can offer you...drug wise, at least. Unless she finds something medically wrong that's causing your fatigue...like a thyroid issue.

Good luck!!

Honestly, I think you will get more help from holistic/alternative medicine. I have recently cut my caffeine to almost none, started getting more rest, and put myself on a serious regimen of supplements. I'm feeling better. My head is much clearer. My energy has improved, although I often have the feeling that I need to rest because I am climbing back after years of running on fumes. But when I rest now, I rest deeply and it feels restorative.

I did have my thyroid checked and it was normal, so I knew it wasn't that. I also had my bloodwork run and I am not currently anemic, and there is no sign of infection. With no obvious medical cause, I went this route. I do feel it is helping.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Sorry, no advice, but just to say that I'm the same age as you, and suffering the same debilitating tiredness most of the time. I used to be very energetic, and like you I'm slim, eat well and get moderate amounts of exercise. It's really, really tough.

:grouphug:

You need to do some research. Information is power during this phase of life. You need to be proactive about what you want and what you don't want.

My first visit with my new doc, he asked me what 3 things did I want him to "fix" and what 3 things could I live with. We talked A LOT before we settled on a care plan. We followed up 2 weeks later, 3 months later, and will follow up again in 6 months. It is a process. That process changes as our bodies change.

I have found Women to Women very helpful. They have a ton of information on their website you can read and research. They also have very helpful customer service to answer questions about their products and perimenopause. They do sell product that is very good IMHO.

Find some books at the library and READ, READ, READ. Keep a chart/calendar. It has been very helpful for us to see when my symptoms occur. We have been able to chart various times in the cycle and correlate that to which hormone SHOULD be doing what and when.

Get lab work done. This last round, I had a cbc, all 3 estrogens, testosterone, progesterone, all the thyroids, adrenals, and D3. Labs are a great place to start. All those hormones need to be within range and ratio.

BCPs are very helpful for many, but it is only 1 option. Compounding is another option to consider.

Research "health food store" options. Do you want to try various suppliments? Do you want a more "holistic, natural (non-prescription) approach?

If you want to try some form of prescription hrt, do you want bio-identical or synthetic? Do you want pill or patch or cream or some other delivery option?

Fatigue is a rough one. I'm way too tired today. But, I'm thinking mine is a pesty sinus infection that just won't clear up. (And a broken toe). At our age, we do not "rebound" like we did in our 20s. I need to take better care of myself now. So, nutrition, exercise, sleep, stress management, perhaps vitamins and such, are important. The hormones are transitioning at our age. That puts a huge stressor on our bodies.

Ask your doc what she thinks your options are. Ask why she recommends those to you. Have some ideas of what you want and ask about that. If you want other options, ask about them.

Edited by HollyDay

I have found Women to Women very helpful. They are a company that sells vitamins and suppliments. BUT, they have a ton of information on their website you can read and research. They also have very helpful customer service to answer questions about their products and perimenopause.

I find Women to Women very helpful as well, but would like to clarify that they are a women's health practice, founded by Christiane Northrup (MD, author of "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" and "The Wisdom of Menopause", etc) NOT "a company that sells vitamins and supplements". (That description does a disservice to the practice. ;))

Debilitating fatigue is not a normal state. Please don't let anyone tell you it is!

Debilitating fatigue is not a normal state. Please don't let anyone tell you it is!

I truly don't mean to be argumentative -- and I'm more than okay with being wrong -- but after a lot of research it seems that they call it crashing fatigue and that it does go hand-in-glove with peri-menopause.

I'm fine w/ being wrong, but that's what I've read.

Alley

Well, keeping in the same vein...

Being tired all the time is not a normal part of menopause, aging or modern life, no matter what you’ve been told.

I know this may sound almost unbelievable to every one of you who wakes up already feeling exhausted, relies on coffee and sugar for energy, or who desperately thinks “it shouldn’t be this hard.”...

Link

And, yes, there are absolutely things in life - including parenting young children, perimenopause, etc - that can adversely affect our sleep, our hormone balance, and everything else. If I don't get enough sleep, I am tired the next day. That is completely different from long term fatigue that is affecting your daily living. Common and normal are not the same. And neither of those is "optimal" which is really what we should be shooting for.

(and, also? argue away. It's one of the things we do best here, right? :D)

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Did you get a complete iron panel done? NOT just CBC's w/diff. as most Dr's only do.

And a finger pick means nothing.

I found out all of this the hard way. Get tested for Serum Iron, Ferritin levels(very, very important, low ferritin is your iron stores, if they are to low, you can be very anemic), TIBC, Saturation Rate.

All of this will give you the big iron picture. I cannot figure out for the life of me why GYN's do NOT do this screening. Especially in perimenopausal women who tend to have heavier bleeding, or bleeding closer together.

I found this out two years ago, after all my bloodwork was "fine".

Now I take 3 iron pills a day. Much better. And I would stay away from BCP at your age if you can. If anything, try the IUD(I did, but didn't work for me). There is no estrogen and stays in the uterus.

I was just complaining about my period the other day with all these changes going on. I am just plodding through it and hope that it ends soon. I am only going to be 45 but almost all the women in my family went through menopause around 48.

Other then spotting before my period, PMS, and sore bOOks, I am going to ride this out without any help unless things take a turn for the worse.

It stinks. Hope you feel better.:grouphug:

I didn't read all the responses, but here's what's worked for me:

Birth control pills have been a big help. The key is to call when you get side effects such as depression, insomnia etc so that your dosage can be changed. My MD said this may need to be done several times during perimenopause, so far I've done it once or twice. Once was for anxiety/depression/insomnia and a doasage change relieved that.

My magic combo of supplements:

Super B Complex vitamin (essential for energy)

Cacium with Vit D

Zinc

Magnesium

Excercise is the key to keeping away fatigue for me too.

The drawbacks are synthetic hormones. Allopathic physicians like them because they have a better handle on how to dose them but your body knows it's not "homemade" stuff and reacts accordingly.

Can you see a naturopath? They may prescribe bio-identical hormones which are much more like the ones our bodies make and are not known to increase cancer incidents.

A mix of extra progesterone and a little estrogen can go a long way. Pm me if you like.

I find Women to Women very helpful as well, but would like to clarify that they are a women's health practice, founded by Christiane Northrup (MD, author of "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" and "The Wisdom of Menopause", etc) NOT "a company that sells vitamins and supplements". (That description does a disservice to the practice. ;))

Thank you for clarifying!! Women to Women is a great thing. They have been VERY helpful to me for a number of years and I use their vitamins and suppliments.

Edited by HollyDay

For that exhaustion, what worked for me was thyroid replacement pills, and, and I cannot stress this highly enough, Stuart's Prenatal Vitamins. For some reason, the iron in those vitamins is both more accessible and less irritating than any other source that I know of. If I ran out and didn't take them for a week or so, I could really feel it. I would start to feel like I was sure to die young.

For the irritation bordering on rage at certain times, I took Borage Oil capsules--amazingly effective for me. Two each morning and evening, 1300mg each.

Here's what I did. Called a compounding pharmacy and asked for the names of drs who prescribe armour thyroid and bioidentical hormones. Got the name. Made an appt and completely changed my life! I knew all along that I needed to exercise more, eat right, etc but I just. didn't. have. the. energy! Now, two years later, I'm a different woman (and I never needed to lose any weight). I have energy! I love life again!

I'm 42. I saw a NP in December due to my symptoms (tired all the time, unable to sleep, waking at 3 a.m., low sex drive, anxiety, difficulty losing weight, itching, etc). I was lucky enough to have a sister who is 4 years older than me to help me out and tell me what she had experienced (she was fully menopausal at 45). All of my hormones were very low. I am on bio-identical hormones (gels) now and have noticed an improvement in many of my symptoms. The hormone therapy did need some adjustments at first and I had to be really aware of how I was feeling- still do. The pharmacy that mixes my hormones has been a helpful resource for me. The gels cost almost $100/mo and insurance doesn't cover any of it. I recently was started on levothyroxine, too. I'm being treated for sub-clinical thyroid disorder. IMO, if your doctor tells you nothing is wrong with you and won't test your hormones, go see another dr. I sought out a NP who was educated about bio-identicals and found her through an internet search. I can't believe I suffered as long as I did with all my symptoms. Not a single doctor ever tested my hormones until I specifically asked, but they were all very eager to put me on anti-depressants, though. I especially loved (sarcasm) all the allergy testing, dermatology visits, and prednisone I received for the itching. I do agree that you should try to cut out or cut down on your caffeine. I was a diet coke addict. My body just can't handle it as well as I used to. I drink one a day now and that's perfect.

I hope you can get some answers.

I paid around $55 for a three month supply. Mine is more like a cream and comes in a pump dispenser. Just pointing out there must be a wide variety in prices.

Wow! That's cheap! Are you taking 1 cream or 2? I'm on 2 different gels- 1 progesterone and 1 estrogen/testosterone combo and they are $99.90 a month total. Makes me wonder if I need to start looking at other pharmacies?

Well, I wanted to let everyone know that I spoke with my experienced, older obgyn -- love her -- and she said that terrible fatigue doesn't go hand-in-glove with perimenopause. She wants me to see my GP and have blood work done.

I'm vegetarian and it's possible that my anemia is back.

Alley