Menu

Driver's ed / driver's training on transcripts

I wouldn't. Even kids who don't finish high school eventually get a driver's license. The school course one of my sons took was so poorly taught that it wouldn't even qualify for any sort of "in class" instruction. And, FWIW, the other boys took weekend intensive courses but I don't think I could get enough hours out of those for 1/4 credit.

But I will guarantee there will be some who do add it :) Those probably use a semester long curriculum...

I took it in high school even though I wasn't old enough to drive and even though, due to budgetary problems, they did not offer the usual behind the wheels training. It was required for graduation. As long as it's not a substitute for something else, I don't see that it would be "padding" since everyone else would have it too. It was only half a semester long.

We put it on dc's - almost all the ps or private school kids have it on their transcripts in our state too. In our state they are required to attend an approved course - it's about 9 hours of in-class work. Then they must drive w/ the instructor a minimum of 6 hours and log a minimum of 40 hours w/ a parent and 10 at night. For us we also required that the kids read the driver's manual - take a parent constructed test - pass the written test and obtain their permit then we required the state minimums plus logging in drive hours to equal the 70 hours required to fulfill 1/2 credit time-based course in our state.

We put it on dc's - almost all the ps or private school kids have it on their transcripts in our state too. In our state they are required to attend an approved course - it's about 9 hours of in-class work. Then they must drive w/ the instructor a minimum of 6 hours and log a minimum of 40 hours w/ a parent and 10 at night. For us we also required that the kids read the driver's manual - take a parent constructed test - pass the written test and obtain their permit then we required the state minimums plus logging in drive hours to equal the 70 hours required to fulfill 1/2 credit time-based course in our state.

Are you saying that all kids in your state must take drivers' ed - even behind the wheel? Do you not have any metropolitan areas with public transportation? Many people who live in cities never own cars nor learn to drive. I think it is patently silly to make driving a requirement. What about kids who have health or disability issues that make them ineligible to drive? We certainly don't want someone on the road who has vision problems or neurological problems incompatible with driving, nor should we deny them a diploma.

Are you saying that all kids in your state must take drivers' ed - even behind the wheel? Do you not have any metropolitan areas with public transportation? Many people who live in cities never own cars nor learn to drive. I think it is patently silly to make driving a requirement. What about kids who have health or disability issues that make them ineligible to drive? We certainly don't want someone on the road who has vision problems or neurological problems incompatible with driving, nor should we deny them a diploma.

Well, I had to take the in class in school, as I mentioned, I was too young to drive and our school didn't offer behind the wheel. There was no requirement to drive or get a license, just learn the rules. It was free, as part of public high school. I don't think anybody challenged it, because it wasn't very hard. The other 1/2 semester was career ed. The other semester was health.

For example

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/cr/dr/drvedufaqs.asp

Edited by stripe

No, what I was saying is that if a person under the age of 17 wants to obtain a license (in our state you can obtain your learner's permit at 15) they are required to take Driver's Ed and have the driving hours w/ a parent or guardian before they can obtain a restricted license which allows them to drive during set hours without a parent or licensed driver. Therefore, the majority of kids will have taken Driver's Ed and it will be listed on their transcript. We have a couple cities that offer public transportation - but it's not the norm, at least not in the area of the state where we live.

In our area, driver's training is not provided by the school. That went out more than a decade ago with new licensing laws in Michigan which made it impossible to complete driver's ed in the summer between school years.

It is now provided by independent driving schools and costs around $450.00 in our area which may or may not include the $60.00 driver's testing fee that must be paid to the driving school for your final evaluation. Whether or not that is included tends to depend on the service provided in your county and whether or not you set up the driving test independently or through the Secretary of State's Office.

So, no credit is issued.

When I was in high school, though driver's ed was provided by the school district we were NEVER issued credit. It was not a school subject. It was the same as playing football or taking tennis lessons....extracurricular.

As a matter of fact, for a kid applying to a Michigan college, do not list it in the extracurriculars either...it is just not granted any "look" here. Shoot, with all of the farms around, we've got kids with licenses to be on the road in farm vehicles at age 14 without any driver's training. It would be considered weird by admin staff in this state to see it listed as an accomplishment.

Faith

So it seems like, whatever schools do in your area, would be advisable to consider in what to put on your child's transcripts. States and localities differ.

Even if the local schools put it on their transcripts, I don't see a reason for it to go onto mine. The purpose of the transcripts I'm producing is to help my kids apply to college, gain employment and possibly enter the military. Having driver's ed doesn't assist any of those goals.

If a job needs them to have a license, their will need to have a license, not just driver's ed.

I don't have a shortage of courses to put onto the transcript.

I don't see how including it makes a difference one way or the other, so I am surprised by the strong views on this thread, but then I grew up where everyone HAD to take the in class part. I think it's one of those things like PE that (unless one is an athlete) doesn't make a difference but are required for HS and appear on the transcript. I don't see how including it or health or PE somehow means one has to leave out math or history or whatever.