Menu

I need life insurance

My dad died last week and I'm watching my mom try to figure out how she's going to live on next to no money. My dad didn't "believe" in life insurance even though he had debt. :glare: I have a small plan through dh's work, but we need more for me to support the kids if I die. So what companies do you recommend?

You might want to see if you can buy in at a higher level to the plan that you already have. Talk to the HR/Benefits person.

While it is great to have a life insurance policy at work, you really need to have something outside of work too (what if you were fired??? no insurance!).

If you are a fan of Dave Ramsey, he recommends http://www.zanderinsurance.com. I know nothing about them, other than it is an independent agency that can provide you with quotes from many different insurance companies. Or just google life insurance quote and I am sure that you can find many places to get quotes. Good luck!

I used to be an insurance agent in my pre-kid life. I would absolutely 100% never rely solely on a work related life insurance policy. Everyone with children to support should always have a "portable" policy not tied to their employer, which will remain in force for as long as you continue to pay premiums...not only for as long as you are employed by any particular employer. You never know when a medical condition would come along and make you uninsurable, and should you change employers and find you are working someplace that doesn't offer it as a benefit, you are then stuck with no insurance.

I also wouldn't go for a whole life policy, go for a term life policy and get a 20 year term for as much coverage as you can afford. Maybe get a smaller universal life policy that is mainly to provide for YOU (not your kids) should your spouse die after the 20 year term policy expires, but you don't have the kind of debt load or responsibilities as you do when you have young kids at home.

The combination of the two types of policies allows you to cover for a couple different kinds of contingencies, and obtain coverage while you aer presumably younger and easily insurable. The term policy allows maximum coverage amount for the smallest possible monthly premium, but it ends at the end of the term. The universal life (although often marketed as an investment type of policy) will provide a lower level of coverage that continues beyond the term policy limit so you are personally protected still.

Cindy