Menu

Your yard sale stories...

okay after reading this all my stuff is being donated or trashed. I am not a big fan of having garage sales. I did some with a neighbor and we had a female who was really a male. He didn't make a good female but he/she was a regular in the neighborhood for garage sells. Another was a guy who owned a resale shop and would buy children clothes for cheap and resale for a higher price at his store. Then we had the same car do laps every weekend at night looking for the junk left on the side of the street after garage sales.

Also we lived in military houseing so having strangers know where we lived didn't bother me. Now when we buy a house it will be a different story.

Ok, first off, OP that is AWFUL!!!! :ack2: I would be... ugh. I can't even imagine. Ugh. *Shudder*

mom2scouts - we did make $400 for about 5 hours of garage saling yesterday, so even though people are weird, it was worth it.

WOW! I just have to say that is a great total for a yard sale! I've never made more than $100/$120.

Oh! I had that happen once. I put all my Tea/Hannah/MiniBoden etc in it's own area. I had shoes and tights to match the dresses etc. I know it was not this dramatic, but one grandma seemed to hit the brakes as if in a movie. lol She grabbed it all, did not negotiate the prices, and asked what else I had. I went back into the house to search for more. She was giddy. I saw her gd later at the library wearing one of my dd's outfits. lol She also gave me her phone number in case I had other items to sell. It was great fun, and she was so happy!

That's awesome. :) A friend of mine had the same thing happen to her, sort of. A family came by and looked at all her girls' clothes (well, those that I hadn't gone through and bought ahead of time ;) :D ) and came back at the end of the day and bought.them.all. Shoes and everything. :party:

I don't really have any good stories. I think because of our area (relatively rural, so when there are yard sales they don't have much in them - consignment is HUGE for kids clothes out here, most people do that rather than do a yard sale. The people who DO put out for yard sales usually don't have nice clothes.) I did have one at my house a couple of years ago (the only one I've ever done at my house) and a lady and her daughter happened to see it in the paper and swing by. I didn't even have many tables set up or anything - most everything was laid out on blankets, and some of Pink's dresses were hanging on tree branches lol! Anyway, as they were looking (the lady was older and they were shopping for her grandson, I believe) I heard the daughter mutter to her mom under her breath 'There is REALLY NICE stuff here.' They proceeded to buy about half of my stuff. Like I said, it's the area, I guess, as I didn't have anything particularly amazing, but it was all good quality and in good shape. :tongue_smilie:

Ok, I am coming out of lurkdom because this thread cracked me up. We had a yard sale at Church and I sent over an opened box of Depends. None were missing, it had just been opened and I taped it shut. (DH bought them instead of pullups for our 4 yr old ..... He thought 40 inches was height not waist ...doh...anyway...). He laughed at me. The door opened at 7 am and the Depends were the first sale of the day!

But OP, Yuk!!! maybe she was sick and was just really ashamed. Although at our pool right now we have a "mad pooper" who climbs the fence at night and leaves his present.

Ewwww! Where do these people come from?? My goodness! :eek:

:lol: on the Depends. hehehehe

• 2 weeks later...

My church was having a garage sale and a lot of people donated stuff to it. I received a call from the pastor that same day (I was at work) telling me that our wedding video was donated by my SIL and asking me if I wanted to buy it. I didn't even know she had it :glare: She had just taken it out of my house without permission then decided it was too much trouble bringing it back. To this day she doesn't think she did anything wrong.

My church was having a garage sale and a lot of people donated stuff to it. I received a call from the pastor that same day (I was at work) telling me that our wedding video was donated by my SIL and asking me if I wanted to buy it. I didn't even know she had it :glare: She had just taken it out of my house without permission then decided it was too much trouble bringing it back. To this day she doesn't think she did anything wrong.

I like that you pastor asked if you wanted to BUY it back. :lol:

These stories are great!

We had a moving sale years ago and we had 2 large ceramic planters (they were huge-about 4 ft tall) that we got for free from a friend in the event business. I had not put dirt in them and they were just sitting on the side of the garage.

I had not marked them for the sale because I hadn't thought about it.

A couple asked if they were for sale, I said I suppose they could be but they both had some cracks and we hadn't gotten around to sealing them.

They said that was OK. I shrugged and said "how about $5 each?" The wife literally jumped and said "yes!"

They hauled them off quickly and the wife was literally giddy.

Remember, we got them for free so it was not big deal to me. But my DH said "uh, you probably could have gotten $50 easily for each of them! No wonder they were so happy." Found out from our friend they were about $200 each new :001_huh:

Oh well. 2 less things to move ;)

I had a woman bring her grandaughter to my sale. She bought some of my girl's clothes and then the grandaughter proceeded to wet her pants. The grandma asked to use my bathroom to clean her up and I did reluctantly. Thanks to you OP never again. Yuck! I am so sorry you had to deal with that. Anyway then the grandma asked me if I had any extra girl's underwear?? I did and just let her have those.:tongue_smilie:

Then there was the lady that shows up as I am cleaning up and I tell her everything is a dollar. Aeropostale, Gap, in fashion you know good deals. She huffs and tries to talk me down!!

I always have a rummage sale for the entertainment factor. Try telling people as you are bagging their stuff with the free Walmart bags that you get from shopping there that they are receiving a limited edition Walmart bag and see how many people get it. :) People know who where are and where we live. There is no anonymity here. It is a very small town.:tongue_smilie: I stopped to talk to the phone repair man and tell him where my house is and he said is that the house with lots of kids??:blushing: Yes,yes it is. I only have 5! :)

Ugh, that reminded me of my brother. He borrowed my amplifier once and kept it for a really long time. After a few months I asked him, "Hey are you done with my amp yet?" and he was like "oh, I'm still using it if that's okay. It's a great amp." I said, "Alright you can keep using it, just don't forget to bring it back when you're done with it." He assured me he would. One day probably almost a year later I asked, "so when are you going to give me my amp back?" and he was like, "Oh dude! I sold it. Sorry." :001_huh: He didn't even give me money to reimburse me! :glare:

Your very own pastor wanted you to BUY back your copy of a wedding video that you own, which was stolen by your sister and donated to the church sale? :confused: If he had a good sense of humor I would have told him he can give it back to me so I don't have him arrested for receiving stolen property. :lol:

If my pastor had returned the video to me at no cost, out of gratitude I probably would have given a donation worth far more than they'd ever sell a wedding video for. How much did you have to pay to get it back?

People certainly are interesting.

Your very own pastor wanted you to BUY back your copy of a wedding video that you own, which was stolen by your sister and donated to the church sale? :confused: If he had a good sense of humor I would have told him he can give it back to me so I don't have him arrested for receiving stolen property. :lol:

What's next? You offer to sell back your copy of the Bible you accidentally took home with you?

If my pastor had returned the video to me at no cost, out of gratitude I probably would have given a donation worth far more than they'd ever sell a wedding video for. How much did you have to pay to get it back?

:lol::lol:Oh, he THOUGHT we'd given it away to the SIL. Once he realized we had no idea she had it in the first place he bought it and gave it back to us. He didn't charge us, it was just funny the way the convo went "uh, your wedding video is here with a box of kid movies xx donated. You want to buy it back?"

Weird, my post went to the great limbo in the sky. Anyways, he thought that we'd given her the video as a gift so he was offering us first dibs on it if we wanted it back as an extra or something. When he realized that we never even knew that she'd taken it he bought it and gave it back to us. But he didn't charge us for it though:lol: I can understand from his point of view that he would've thought we already had a copy of it. To this day she still doesn't think she did anything wrong.

We once put our old washer and dryer out in the driveway with a free sign on them. They sat there for a week with no takers. Someone told me to assign them some value by putting a sign that said $25 on them. We did and wouldn't you know, that night, someone stole them. LOL I was just happy I didn't have to pay to have them hauled off.

As far as poopers...my mom worked at a hardware store and at least once a month or so, some kid would poop in one of the display toilets. Now how long are you leaving your child unattended that they have time to pull down their pants and pinch one off in the middle of the plumbing aisle?

We listed some doors on freecycle. We left them in the driveway with a free sign. Near to the doors was the plow to dh's truck. During the night (around 5 am) someone came and stole the plow! Clearly they didn't think they were doing something ok or they wouldn't have come at 5 am I'm pretty sure.

As to the poop stories---Ack!! Unbelievable!

We once had a tag sale and made only $1. I think we maybe had two people come. One of them over and over chastised me about how bad my signs were. Okay, I get it, good signage is important. But I would never think to berate someone about it. :001_huh:

The last story is on me, I'm afraid. My mom, Grandma, daughter and I were headed to our first sale of the season. We were so excited that we didn't check to ensure that the house with tons of stuff in the driveway matched the address in the paper. There were other people looking around, too, sorting through boxes. I had an armful of stuff and went to ask the price, and the guy told me, "this isn't a garage sale." I was so shocked! He started to say that he might be willing to sell some of it, but I put the stuff down and got out of there in a hurry. I couldn't believe that he didn't say anything while all of these people were rifling through his stuff!

I did this before too. Boy was my face red.