Menu

After you complete the SOTW books, what do you move on to?

gandpsmommy

My older son is going into 5th grade. We are going through our second go around with SOTW. I am recycling volume 1-4. I am going to have my older son write a brief narration and he will make a timeline. He is sooo interested in doing that this year. He enjoyed the stories in the past. Now, he is more interested in the factual part of history which will be fun to add. I will follow how the AG for volume 4 did. More (not a lot) outlining, timelines, maps, and in depth biographies.

Oh! I will give him the tests from Peace Hill Press. I just remember that I have to order those!

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony;):001_smile:

We have enjoyed the Suzanne Strauss Art books. They are available at Amazon.

My oldest son listens in on SOTW with the younger kids, but then reads through the Suzanne Strauss Art books on his own. There are questions and project ideas at the end of each chapter. For map work I usually have him copy some of the maps that are in the book. I think these books also work well for note-taking or outlining.

The Well-Trained Mind recommends the "Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World" for the logic stage. This is what we plan to use with DD when we finish in 2 years. DS will be in 8th grade, as we started they cycle late with him, so I may use some of their rehtoric stage recommendations for him.

We're going into 5th here. We'll be using Kingfisher Illustrated History of the World (this is the out of print version of the Kingfisher History Encyclopedia). We'll outline that twice a week, do a timeline and mapwork weekly, and then spend a history period doing additional reading on whatever topic is of interest to him from that week.

I was worried about this, but he's read the Usborne Internet Linked History Encyclopedia cover to cover this summer, so I think he'll enjoy the meatier encyclopedia this year.

My 3rd grader will still be using SOTW, so I'm sure he'll be listening in on that, too.

Is this SWB's new book? Could you share why you're not as pleased with it?

Thanks much,

Janet

History Odyssey is published by Pandia Press. I loved everything about SOTW, so perhaps it was inevitable that I would be unhappy with whatever followed. My review is in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29243&highlight=freedom+unmotivated

History Odyssey is published by Pandia Press. I loved everything about SOTW, so perhaps it was inevitable that I would be unhappy with whatever followed. My review is in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29243&highlight=freedom+unmotivated

Feeling stupid now. I know exactly what you're talking about. For some reason I was thinking of SWB's new book or the one K12 publishes.

I read the review anyway since I've been considering that program also. Thank you.

I typed before I drank coffee....

Janet

We will be cycling through them again, with of course additional reading.

:iagree: This is essentially what we'll be doing. My 7th grader just finished them up (didn't do them for a 1st rotation), and I found them a good "jump point". We added Kingfisher and lots of readings.

I will do this for my next set (of kids). Using it one time round while they are young, then a second go round with additions as they hit the logic stage. And then the hefty world history versions for a 3rd go round (the ones SWB is currently working on).

I've tried outlining Kingfisher in the past with my older boys, but it just didn't work out well. Kingfisher lacked the narrative quality we were wanting that makes history exciting.

This time around for grades 5-8 we are going to use K-12's History Odyssey. I looked into getting the student and teacher notes for this, but once I was able to review the material I thought following the reading and outlining method of WTM a better option. Coupled with reading historical fiction, learning about mythology and world religions, art history, the history of science, writing short biographical sketches plus slimmed down Geography Trails assignments and a time line we will have more than enough to occupy us.

This time through the history cycle I want focus on the interconnectedness of all the disciplines that shows the "big picture" rather than using primary source documents that requires interpreting the past. Although we have read through all four volumes of SOTW, I feel like we are still building a foundation of understanding. Now in the second four year cycle, I think my DD is better able to identify the trends in history and gain a more global understanding of the rise and dissolution of civilizations occurring simultaneously.

Wildiris

We cycled through SOTW for grades 1-4.

For 5th grade (and a ds in 2nd) we did MOH vol. 1.

We are Catholic and I did not like how MOH vol. 2 was written with an anti-Catholic bias. My dd did History Odyssey level 2 Middle Ages for 6th grade. (In place of "The Story of Mankind," I had her read similar lessons from "The Old World's Gifts to the New" to give more of a Catholic perspective.) My ds (grade 3) listened to the audio of SOTW 2 and also did lessons from "The Old World's Gifts to the New".

Since I felt that our first go-round in history did not cover enough American history, we are focusing on that next year (dd 12, ds 9, ds 5)-- from the discovery of the Americas up to (but not including) the Civil War. We will be using From Sea to Shining Sea:the Story of America, plus the audio version of A Little History of the World to add some details of what was going on in the rest of the world.