Menu

Is it possible to eat low-carb with less meat if you can't really eat legumes?

I'm trying to reduce the amount of meat we're eating as well as our overall grocery bill, but restrictions are making it kind of hard.

• We all feel our best when we're relatively few carbs (plus DH and I are trying to lose weight and do really well on low-carb).
  • I can't eat gluten, and substitutes are expensive, so I try to avoid them.
  • I can't seem to get used to eating legumes. I can eat a small amount of beans or lentils in one meal one on day, but if I try to eat the same small amount in the next day or so, my stomach is so upset that I actually have pain.

I feel like most of the low carb meals I see either involve meat heavily or involve lots of beans and legumes. I'm not seeing a way around lots of meat and a high grocery bill here, but I wanted to ask all you creative thinkers if I 'm missing anything.

Given these food restrictions, WWYD? Am I not seeing a solution that's right there, or is there really none?

TIA!

Maybe you can add protein shakes to your diet--maybe even mix the powder in with something. I have a soy & whey protein shake that has 25 g protein per serving (2 scoops + 8 oz water or milk). I just started drinking 3 shakes every other day as part of a low carb + calorie reduction program I'm doing. These 3 shakes give me 75 g protein, which is plenty for one day.

(and I don't eat legumes on my low carb diet because they aren't low carb)

ETA: the protein mix does seem pricey at first--I have a store brand that was about $10--but it lasts a long time.

Edited by gardening momma

I have been a vegetarian for 15 years. I have recently started eating paleo-ish, vegetarian-style. I feel better now that I eat mostly raw veggies, fruits, and nuts than I have ever. I cut out the gluten, added sugar, potatoes, and almost all corn and dairy. I "cheat" sometimes with gluten-free products. Fresh produce is expensive in the stores, but relatively inexpensive if you buy locally whatever is in season.

Are you inquiring about legumes because you are worried about your protein intake? If so, rest assured; vegetables, fruits, and nuts are good sources of protein with better results for your overall well being (i.e. higher in fiber, won't spike your insulin, etc.).

Please be careful and do your research about soy-based products. I lived mainly off of bread, pasta, dairy, and veggie-style meats for most of my life. I had many health problems stemming off thyroid issues that have all ceased since I have changed my eating habits. My mother had many health issues as well, namely being overweight and depression issues, but has turned into a different person thanks to eating mostly raw foods.

Best wishes on you and your family's journey to better health!

ITA about stretching meats with veggies (finely shredded cabbage/carrots/onions work well for me...when I remember. ;))

Also, have you considered soaking/sprouting your legumes before cooking them? I have trouble digesting legumes, too, but have no trouble when I eat sprouted lentils/beans. It's a little more work, but dried legumes are super cheap (even organic ones) and it's always possible to sprout/cook a large batch and then freeze 2c portions in baggies to use in place of canned beans in recipes. :D

OIC.

Atkins isn't no-carb, either. :) And it doesn't include legumes. :)

No, Atkins isn't no-carb, but it's very radically low-carb. Honestly, for me, legumes are the only thing that allow me to eat low-carb, especially Phase 1 (yes, South Beach) - as long as I have beans with one meal, I'm not hungry.

They're not low-carb per se, but they're full of fiber and the carbs they do have are very complex. Just like with fats, not all carbs are created equal.

Where do legumes come in on a low-carb diet? :confused:

Eat To Live wants you to eat a minimum of a cup pf legumes per day, a maximum of one cup other carb..... Ony if you must. So legumes are good?

OP, the pain in your somach, is it gas? Because when I followed The McDougall Diet 20 years ago, gas pain from legumes did happen but as my body adjusted, it went away. Also, I notice that when I soak the beans for a minimum 12 hours ( I always start them the day before) and cook them slowly with new (not soaked) water, they seem to digest easier. The other thing you could consider is taking a good digestive enzyme.

If you ate beans seldom before, I suspect your body is not used to them.

ITA about stretching meats with veggies (finely shredded cabbage/carrots/onions work well for me...when I remember. ;))

Also, have you considered soaking/sprouting your legumes before cooking them? I have trouble digesting legumes, too, but have no trouble when I eat sprouted lentils/beans. It's a little more work, but dried legumes are super cheap (even organic ones) and it's always possible to sprout/cook a large batch and then freeze 2c portions in baggies to use in place of canned beans in recipes. :D

I've always wondered if the brown lentils would actually sprout? Aren't they split?

No, Atkins isn't no-carb, but it's very radically low-carbl.

New Atkins isn't. (Just clarifying.) I've done SB and New Atkins. I prefer New Atkins because it matches up to how I naturally want to eat. I think they all have merit, we just need to find the one that matches with our own nature.

I've always wondered if the brown lentils would actually sprout? Aren't they split?

I've seen little sproutlies on the brown & green lentils. I don't think they're split, though they look similar to split peas which are. The red lentils are so thin, I don't usually bother. (But even then I at least soak/discard water/rinse a few times.) There's a food co-op near me with a wonderful bulk section. I typically buy the red lentils and the speckled dark green French lentils now. Mostly because they're different & fun. :)

I've seen little sproutlies on the brown & green lentils. I don't think they're split, though they look similar to split peas which are. The red lentils are so thin, I don't usually bother. (But even then I at least soak/discard water/rinse a few times.) There's a food co-op near me with a wonderful bulk section. I typically buy the red lentils and the speckled dark green French lentils now. Mostly because they're different & fun. :)

Red lentils are my absolute favorite! LOVE them with onion, coconut milk, curry. LOVE!!! I bought 25 lb bags of red and brown lentils.:D

New Atkins isn't. (Just clarifying.) I've done SB and New Atkins. I prefer New Atkins because it matches up to how I naturally want to eat. I think they all have merit, we just need to find the one that matches with our own nature.

:iagree: with this wholeheartedly. There's no one-size fits all. South Beach works for me because it does match up with how I naturally want to eat. I've always loved beans and lentils, so my body is used to them and I naturally cook that way. I also like lean meat rather than fatty, and I don't like a lot of saturated fat - if I had to eat all those bacon and eggs and butter I hear about on the super LCHF diets, I'd just feel greasy and grossed out. ;) And probably get indigestion - your body does protest when you start feeding it things that it's not used to - even things that aren't necessarily bad for you, or even possibly good for you.