Menu

Gift Ideas for 17yo DSD

DSD turns 17 next month. I have NO IDEA what to get her. Here's where I am:

Clothes: She has TONS that she normally purchases herself from online shops

Gadgets: covered, she has all the gadgets available to teenagers

Books: She's not really a reader

Music: Already has an iPod jam packed with dubstep

Her love language is receiving gifts so I need to find her something tangible. Our relationship is good for the most part but due to the age difference between DH and I, DSD and I are not regular mother/daughter ages i.e. I was in middle school when she was born. I've only known her since January when she came to live with us. So um. . . any ideas?

Go out together for makeovers and if she likes the results, buy her the makeup the artist used on her.

(And if she doesn't want to do that, you could always take me instead. I love makeovers. But of course, this isn't about me and what I want. It's all about you... well, about you taking me for a makeover, mostly, but still, you'd be there and you'd be paying for it, so it's sort of about you, right?;))

I agree with concert or show tickets, or a nice piece of jewelry. Something special. For my DD's 16th I got her a necklace from Tiffany's. She doesn't normally wear much jewelry, but she recognized that the Blue Box was something special. She hasn't taken the necklace off since the day she got it.

It was not cheap, but not overly expensive, either (about $150).

She also enjoyed that we took her to play laser tag and whirly ball. She said it was a fun event, and if she had friends (my DD16 is my Aspie) she would have liked the event with one of them.

Let's see....she also asked for:

1. Me to take her to one of those adult painting places, where they teach you how to paint a specific piece of art that night.

2. To do one of the special animal encounters at the Georgia Aquarium (don't know if you have anything like this near you, but at our aquarium you can have an encounter with the Beluga whales, or go snorkeling in the giant aquarium exhibit.

3. A spa gift (massage/facial/mani/pedi)

That's about the age I was really into "hope chest" stuff. But if you haven't talked about it that might be weird for her to open a box of pans or something.

Yeah, that could easily be misconstrued as, "Happy 17th Birthday and When Will You Be Moving Out?" ;) ;) ;)

Yeah, that could easily be misconstrued as, "Happy 17th Birthday and When Will You Be Moving Out?" ;) ;) ;)

:lol:

I think at about 16 my friend and I decided we were going to start hope chests. FUnny thing is, most of the stuff we bought was entirely useless by the time I needed it. My mom bought me some nice things for it though.