Menu

how to organize school work for child

Lori

I have a 4th grader and 2nd grader and was wondering what you do to organize their school work for the year. Do you do it weekly, monthly, semester. I try and get a notebook ready for them so that everything is in it that they need. I have tried dividers for M-F and I have tried by subject. I was just wondering if there is anyone that has any unique ways that have worked. I dont want a lesson planner book or something on the computer I just want a simple way of them starting to become responsible and independent with their studies.

For my youngest K-1st grade I made a chart w/ pictures to represent each subject, and he was responsible for putting a sticker on the square under the day completed, and he turned it in on Friday for a reward.

My daughter, ( and I'll add my son for 2nd grade this year) , I have used the clock notepads and made a time-chart of her day;

9:00-9:30 Bible

9:30-10:30 Math

10:30-11:30 All Language arts

Noon Lunch and Chores

1:00-2:00 History

2:00-2:30/ MTW Projects T TH SCience

The Time chart helps keep them on task.

I make a copy of the weekly lesson plans for her to check off

This year I'm implementing also the TOG idea of having them plan their assignments each week w/ my guidance. I'll probably just tell my son what to write on his assignment chart, but I'm going to allow my daughter to plan out her week since she'll be in 6th grade this year. I have all the assignments for the week already mapped out, but she'll decide what & how much each day.

kim

Last year about the half way point I decided to get a bit more organized. I got each of my kids a 1/2" binder and used M-F tabs. I then put all the worksheets or blank paper we'd need for that days lesson behind each tab. We never do school on a specific time schedule, ie: 9-9:3 math, 9:30-10 Language arts etc. So this way the kids can pick what it is they want to work on in which order. They know that history and science, depending on the day, must be done together so they usually put those last on their pile. They usually never pick the same order each day either. This way they felt they had a say in things, but I may try something different next year. I might start the specific times for specific subjects but we'll have to see, it will depend on how long certain things take us.

Everyday though any sheets that aren't needed for the next day or a day later in the week are put in each child's "inbox" so I can check them over. I just have a couple of plastic paper sorter things like you'd see on an office desk for an inbox or outbox that I had left over from when I had a home business that I use for this. I gave each child their own so that I can easily keep straight who's work is who's.

I have a 4th grader and 2nd grader and was wondering what you do to organize their school work for the year. Do you do it weekly, monthly, semester. I try and get a notebook ready for them so that everything is in it that they need. I have tried dividers for M-F and I have tried by subject. I was just wondering if there is anyone that has any unique ways that have worked. I dont want a lesson planner book or something on the computer I just want a simple way of them starting to become responsible and independent with their studies.

...workbooks, nonconsumable texts, etc.

Each child has a box that holds his/her workbooks and folders upright.

It's easy with most of the workbooks (handwriting, spelling, et al)...they just work on one lesson per day or one page per day. Each workbook has a post-it used as a bookmark, so they pull out their workbook, find their place, do the lesson or page, then turn it in to the turn-in-your-work area.

With some subjects, I'll do the lesson one-on-one first, and then give the assignment.

I now try to use weekly schoolwork charts for ds11 & dd8, but when my dc were in 4th & 2nd, we didn't use the charts consistently. The charts really have helped them work more independently, as they don't have to wait on me to find out what the assignment is (for things other than do-the-next-page).

The other thing is that they each have a "current" folder. This contains only pages and worksheets that have not been started yet (for the current week) or have not been completed (like a worksheet/map that will be worked on for 2 days). All finished work is filed or put in a notebook that goes on a shelf (a few subjects have a bradded folder that sits in the box described above). So, when I'm organized, I'll put all the worksheets, activity pages, etc. for all subjects needed for the coming week in these folders on Sun. night; for us, this is usually not very much.

What kind of materials will you be using? Workbooks, worksheets, things that need to be filed or go in a notebook? If the subject results in a sizable quantity of sheets that we won't need to go back and look at (for us, this is FLL-3 and most of the R&S grammar lessons), then I put the sheets in an expanding file pocket after I've checked/graded their work.

Everything is filed by subject. And some subjects are put in notebooks with dividers...e.g., completed math work is put into notebook binders with dividers for worksheets, tests, and exams. These hold a year's worth of work.

Two things have helped my kids become more independent in recent years: 1) preparing a weekly schoolwork/assignment chart for each child, and 2) setting up their books & materials so that they can easily find their work.

HTH!

I print out a weekly assignment sheet for each child from Homeschool Easy Records. It lists each day's assignments, with boxes to check as things are completed. I keep a copy of each child's assignment sheet for myself, and check the boxes after I review their work. Most books are kept in their desks, but if there are any worksheets or other papers/supplies they need I put them on their desks in the morning. I usually prep everything for the week on Saturday, so whatever I need is ready to go.

For me, if I don't have it on the list, it doesn't get done. That's just my personality--I want to be spontaneous, and let things flow, but I've accepted my limitations in this area. :001_smile: We've been doing it this way for three or four years, and my kids understand that they are responsible for completing their work, asking questions when needed, following instructions, and bringing things to me to review.

I'll be interested to read the others' replies! What I'm doing this year that I started last year and found to work well is a daily work checklist. Last year I made the checklist up each day, but with the baby coming, I figure my brain is going to zone out too much for that. Instead I made a checklist of all the subjects I WANT to get done in a day, in the order I'd generally like them done, and put blanks for filling in lesson numbers, the date at the top of the page, etc. I printed off a stack of those, and we're good to go! Just takes a quick minute to fill in the next numbers or let her record what she does.

To make that checklist work, it means all your subjects have to be planned out. Some are do-the-next-thing subjects like math, where you just do the next lesson. Some, like history, I actually have more extensive plans for. Those are separate tables, separate things, and I can either write in on the daily work checklist what I want done or, in reverse, what she did.

I'll email you one of my checklists so you can see how simple they can be and still work. It's a great thing, because you can include chores, music practice, their independent work, anything you want to have happen. I hate filling out a plan book and then having it all flubbed up. This way I just erase or carry the assignment over to the next day if it didn't get done. Works for us. With an older dc, I'd be more of a stickler and make the lists for the week and expect them done or else have the student work on Saturday. For this age though, I'm happy with just using it as is.

Last year I made up a weekly schedule for all of us. It simply showed what things needed to get done M-F and showed which subjects would be covered on a particular day.

Then, I made a computer planner sheet type checklist that listed assignments by subject for each dc.

As far as daily workbooks and textbooks (like R&S English), we use Post-it Flags to keep track of where we are. This year, I'm typing up their history and independent reading list and letting them go for it - meaning they just start reading down the list for their alotted reading time. I've given up on aligning everything perfectly. They retain just as much and it really simplifies trying to keep exact track of page numbers to read or those read, etc. It makes scheduling greatly simplified and much more independent for the kiddos.

I like the link above for the container to keep all their school books in. We have shelves, but I may purchase a few of those containers. Other than that, I keep a file folder divider on my computer table, with folders labeled "To be Corrected", "To be Filed", and I use the third space for loose papers I know we'll need in the upcoming week. If their work is contained in a workbook or textbook, I simply have them stack them up in a certain place so I know they need to be corrected.

This year...Ah, the excitement of new plans...I may get a portable hanging file folder box. Then, I can make up files that say something like "To be Corrected", "To be Filed", "Review with Mom", "DD #1's Current Worksheets", "DD#2's Current Worksheets", (these would be all the "loose papers" we need for the upcoming week(s). They could keep their reading list in there, assignment sheets (when not in use) etc.

For travel or car schooling, I like the slim, portable, plastic clipboard cases. They are about 1-2 inches thick. You can just pack up pencils and loose papers and you're ready to go. I also like these to keep on the shelves or in their container b/c they always have pencils (collected) and a hard writing surface, if you don't have desks. We don't, we're kitchen table, couch and floor schoolers!

I remember attending a Joyce Herzog workshop and have always kept in mind her motto of "one paper sample per subject per week" for record keeping. Of couse, you may have more or less, but this was a good rule of thumb for me. I'm not a saver and just want good samples of their work, but certainly don't feel the need to save an entire workbook or ream of paper samples.

I have a 2.5 or 3-inch file folder for each child, labeled (on the spine), "School Portfolio", "Child's Name", "School Year". Inside, I have tab dividers for each subject. When their work is finished, checked and corrected (if need be) we file the sample we want to keep behind the appropriate tab. I also put in here any photos, receipts/brochures from educational adventures, their year-end reading list, etc. It's simple and nice to know you're building it all year long. At the end of the year you've got a great "picture" of your year and it's all packaged up and presented nicely. Some people bind theirs and make more of a book, but I haven't taken it that far.

Good luck!

I'm a calendar, and lesson planner gal all around. Once I have the year outlined I check in with the planner once a week or two to make sure we are on track. If I did not have that planner, I thought about what I might do...

I'd probably get the kind of blank calendar that has sticky notes. I'd write a different colored sticky note for the daily work goals for each child and post it on the board. They could grab the sticky and complete what is on it, or post it to the next day to finish up what was not completed.

For an older child, I'd post one sticky, with a full week of work. That child could make their own stickies for each day of the week, and decide how and when the work will be completed.

Good luck!

I'm reading on for creative ideas on this one:)

You could write out an assignment sheet and have them put stickers beside each item when completed. This could be daily or weekly. Maybe even let the first day of school be them helping design the format. It may be that they appreciate it more if they feel a part of it. You might could design something that has a peg they move up or down a slot for each subject finished daily if they would like to see visually they are making progress. This has actually got me thinking of getting my kids' opinions on what they would like.

I designed my own document where I write out each month's lesson plans for both, then use that to input the assignments into Homeschool Tracker. I have a tentative schedule for the whole year, but I will only do detailed a month at a time. I like to see how things are progressing, what's working, what's not, etc. I tear out consumables for my ds (to make the writing easier), but leave them in for dd (so she has the pages right there to use as a reference). I have 5 folders for each week of the month where I place his consumables. I have a bookcase by my computer for all the school stuff plus I use a linen closet in the hallway for manipulatives and other bulky teaching material. I put a lot of things in dishpans because they are very cheap. Dd has a "locker" in her room for her books. They'll have binders with tabbed dividers for subjects as well.

Amy of GA

Darin's wife for 17 years

11yo dd

5yo ds

I got each of my kids a 1/2" binder and used M-F tabs. I then put all the worksheets or blank paper we'd need for that days lesson behind each tab. We never do school on a specific time schedule, ie: 9-9:3 math, 9:30-10 Language arts etc. So this way the kids can pick what it is they want to work on in which order....

Everyday though any sheets that aren't needed for the next day or a day later in the week are put in each child's "inbox" so I can check them over.

I really like this idea. My dd is ready to be more independent about her some of work, but I was still mulling on an organized way to go about that. I think I'll try this.

Question - do you check the work right away, or all in a clump later? I just wonder if checking it immediately helps with understanding corrections, or if it doesn't seem to matter in your experience.

I don't have anything new or exciting to add - just wanted to reiterate the other poster's idea about Rubbermaid dish tubs. These are great containers for school work and books. Also, they are sturdy and cheap (under $2 for one at Wal Mart). My Wal Mart carries them in dark red (our fave) and white. They can fit a stack of books laying down, or you can stand books and 3 ring binders up so you can see everything. Can you tell I love our tubs? :)

Something I've done in the past, that I'm doing again this year for my two (3rd and 6th) is to file their workbook or copied work in 36 file folders each. I tore out Spelling Workout pages, copied thinking skills sheets, geography workbooks, copywork, etc. and divided them up by week for the year (baby coming in September - trying to be super-organized). Each boy has a hanging file container with folders labeled 1-36 into which I've put these papers. They will also have weekly assignment sheets to check off, as I'm trying to encourage independent work, and perhaps even working ahead...

To save their work the easiest thing I've found is to cull their best papers as I check them. I try to make sure to get a representative sample of all subjects. I put them in a file folder (one for each student) labeled "______'s best work." Abut once every week or two, I three-hole punch them and put them in chronological order, not separated by subject, into 2" clear binders labeled with their names and current grades on the spine ("________, 3rd grade").

HTH,

Heather

For my 3, they each have a 1" binder with M-F tabs. In them I place any loose pages they need that week, including blank paper if it is needed. My oldest will spend an hour "looking" for paper if it is not in that day's tab. In front of the binder I place a table I made in Word. It lists subjects down the side and M-F across the top. All I need to do is fill in page numbers or sheet title. I also put in anything extra we have for the week, like scouts, Drs., field trips. That way they can look on Mon. and see what is coming and my daughter can work ahead as she pleases (since she is the only one so far that has even attemped that).

I have tried many of the things mentioned. I would suggest to try them out and keep in mind that it may take a few different methods to find what works for you.

I found it too time consuming for me to pull the M-F papers and put them in the folders. I did this for 3-4 months. It still worked great for my 1st grader though. I might do it again for his math drill sheets and any extra work. He is using his sister's BJUP this year so he will just do the next page in the workbook for most subjects. I ended up with too many back sides of pages undone.

This did not work for my 2nd and 4th grader last year. They did better with a subject schedule. I have on poster board (after I tweak it) their schedule by time. They have a check off list/planner that has the specifics. For example when we do math the planner will have Drill sheet, lesson, flashmaster if done early. For LA and Reading they will just do the next lesson in CLE. Our day looks like this: (we do the same subjects together this year...this is new for us. Usually I would have two do an independent subject while the other works with me.

7:15-8 Bible and Breakfast

8-9:30 Math

9:30-10:30 CLE Reading and LA

10:30-11:30 Writing..iew dvd's(5th) or writing with ease (2nd and 3rd)

11:30-12:00 Vocabulary 5th phonics 3rd

Lunch

12:30-2:00 Robinson Reading phonics 2nd

2:-3 History or Science reading

3:00 check out and chores