Menu

What are you canning, freezing, drying etc. or what are you planning to do?

We just canned some dill pickles and I think tomorrow I'm going to do some wild cherry jelly, I've never had wild cherries on our cherry tree, but this year it's loaded. I am freezing whatever green beans, green peppers and summer squash that I can right now and we plan to make applesauce with free apples and salsa yet this fall.

At first I wasn't that excited, but since getting started, I decided that I'm going to try and save whatever we can.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/437590-how-to-make-jelly-out-of-wild-black-cherries/

Let's see - so far we've canned strawberry jam; frozen whole strawberries; canned blueberry jam; froze blueberries; froze corn; canned dill pickles, canned bread-and-butter pickles.

Will can as the season progresses: applesauce, elderberry jam, whole cherries, tomatoe sauce, whole tomatoes

Will freeze as the season progresses celery, green peppers, card, kale, carrots, beans, squash, pumpkin

And will put potatoes and onions in the basement for "root cellar" type storage

Myra

I see that you've got a lot of cherries. Try canning the cherries whole - pits and all - in a water or light sugar sauce. They will discolor (sort of water logged looking) but will taste delicious - my boys favorites!

Myra

I did a couple dozen quarts of dill pickles last month, and today I've been working on peach jam and marinara sauce. I still have a ton of tomatoes left, too, but unfortunately, I have no more energy left!

The peaches & tomatoes were free, so I love being able to put away as much of them as possible!

This year:

Canning peaches, beans, raspberry jam, saskatoon jam, grape jelly, honeyberry/strawberry jam (all my jams have crab apple in them to cut down on pectin and sugar).

Freezing, peas, zucchini, mashed carrots (for pies), and a mixture of berries for smoothies and on ice cream.

All the other veggies and such just go in the root cellar.

I have been in a canning whirlwind. LOL So far I have done grape jelly, peaches, cherries, cherry jelly, plums, plum sauce, salsa, tomatoes, dill pickles, and some ham glaze. (Pineapple/cherry sauce I glaze ham with.)

I have about 20 pounds of potatoes I need to can. This fall I plan to do a ton of applesauce because my kids will eat it at every meal. I also roast and freeze or can pumpkins every fall. Makes for great pies all winter.

With prices looking go up soon, I am trying to buy up produce as it goes on sale this summer and can and freeze as much as possible. My garden didn't do so well this year, so I am buying produce as it goes on sale. Organic peaches were 50 cents a pound last week, so I bought 50 pounds and canned it all. I also saved the skins and today I am using them to make peach jelly.

Freezing so far - blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, and a little broccoli that recently came on. Yet to go, a lot more broccoli, some green beans, carrots, peaches, sweet corn, cauliflower, and applesauce.

Dehydrating - nothing yet...will have leeks, celery, basil, red peppers, grape tomatoes

Canning - I've canned one load of pintos and that's it. Still to go - 70 pints of pinto beans, 42 half-pints black beans, 28 pints kidneys, 14 quarts dill pickles, 42 quarts pasta sauce, 42 pints salsa, 14 quarts plain tomatoes, 104 pints green beans (I use two pints per week all year long, but at different meals so I don't like them canned as quarts even though it would be faster), 40 lbs chicken breast, and 20 lbs cheap flat steak which when canned with herbs, turns into a nice stew beef at a cheaper price...dump and go, it's a good thing!

I'm canning less than last year.

Faith

I'm freezing peaches this year. They are so, so yummy when they're fresh and local. I have a half bushel in the fridge (minus a few that have been eaten), and I hope to freeze quite a few for smoothies (and pie!) this winter, if we don't eat them all before I can. :)

I'm also freezing veggies, but I think that probably doesn't count, since I bought them frozen and just stacked them in the freezer. :) (Stocked up on bags of them the other day, in case prices skyrocket due to this year's drought.)

I've canned strawberry lemon marmalade, plum jam, strawberry jam, cherry jam, and sugar free cherry jam. I froze about 12 lbs of cherries because I didn't have time to deal with them right away. I have a ton of plums right now, so I'm thinking about making cherry plum jam tomorrow.

I've also canned spiced peaches and spciy green tomato pickles.

This week I'm planning on canning sloppy joe sauce, tomatillo salsa, and spagheiti sauce as well as more green tomato pickles.

I've frozen corn.