Menu

Frazzled homeschooling....

ChristusG

I feel like my days go something like this......

Explain DD8's independent work, send her off.

Give baby a toy.

Sit down with DD5 to work on phonics.

Get back up because baby is pulling on the computer wires.

Return to DD5 and work on a letter sound.

DD8 comes out and says she doesn't understand this math problem despite us going over it ten times.

Grab baby out of pantry.

Tell DD5 to wait and I'll be back in a sec.

Help DD8 with math problem and send her off.

Baby crying and pulling on my leg, me practically yelling the letter sound so DD5 can hear it.

Pick up baby, stand up with baby because she wants to be walked.

DD8 groaning from bedroom about not wanting to write a sentence.

DD5 is getting bored waiting for me to tend to baby, she wanders off.....

And so on and so on.

We usually get to the three R's for DD8 but not much else. Poor DD5 is learning her letter sounds from the Leapfrog DVD and we usually do not get to math.

I find myself shouting spelling words over the baby's fussing very often....like daily. It seems that whenever I sit down to read our living science and history books aloud, the baby decides to fuss.

Tell me that someone else's homeschool days look like this LOL.

When my kids are younger, I sit beside them and work w/them until they are totally finished. I find it easier to do something more along the lines of working only w/the 5 yr old and have the 8 yr old entertain the baby and keep the baby safe. The 5 yr old has my complete attention and we can move through things quickly. Then I send the 5 yr old off to play.

I work w/the 8 yr old beside me. I hold baby or sit on the floor w/baby while the 8 yr old sits at a table beside us. I can pick up baby and walk around the table while teaching, rock back and forth, etc. I can play w/baby and get up if the 8 yr old needs help. Read to 8 yr old while 8 yr old sits w/baby, etc.

But that is the approach I use b/c I don't embrace a working independently philosophy for younger kids. (except for silent reading) and I only do the 3 Rs at 5.

We certainly have a variation of your theme on a regular basis, and this is just summer school! I have two complaining about their work and wanting to sneak outside, 2 little boys who cooperate on getting into trouble, and the "baby" whose favorite thing is to find any lotion or gel she can and put it in her hair. At least we get some variety because the story keeps changing as they get older.

Yup. This is why I bought our spelling lessons on dvd - so I wouldn't have to yell spelling words like I'm cussing:) It must not harm the dc psyche too much because now they complain about the dvd and would rather I give the spelling words. Hmmm.

When my kids are younger, I sit beside them and work w/them until they are totally finished. I find it easier to do something more along the lines of working only w/the 5 yr old and have the 8 yr old entertain the baby and keep the baby safe. The 5 yr old has my complete attention and we can move through things quickly. Then I send the 5 yr old off to play.

I work w/the 8 yr old beside me. I hold baby or sit on the floor w/baby while the 8 yr old sits at a table beside us. I can pick up baby and walk around the table while teaching, rock back and forth, etc. I can play w/baby and get up if the 8 yr old needs help. Read to 8 yr old while 8 yr old sits w/baby, etc.

But that is the approach I use b/c I don't embrace a working independently philosophy for younger kids. (except for silent reading) and I only do the 3 Rs at 5.

:iagree: This is a good strategy.

:iagree: Great post! Even without a baby in the mix, I found it easier to work first with my youngest and then my oldest, at these young ages. Both needed so much one on one time--it just seemed easier than all of us interrupting each other! When I did ease into having both school at the same time, I made sure to give one things to do that wouldn't generate questions (math and reading instruction at the same time would have been a nightmare here!).

I also think it's fine if a 5 yo doesn't do math. I let mine play with manipulatives for math time at this age. :001_smile:

Merry :-)

Well you're description is definitely a hoot, lol. Ours didn't look exactly like that. It was more in the realm of strapped down toddler making noises which distracted preteen fogbrain needing assistance. Not good. See mother clone and attempt to keep them on separate floors of the house to let work get done. Hear mother scream months later as she realizes work didn't actually GET DONE despite butt being in chair. :D

In all seriousness, you probably know this, but you might work to get that 8 yo a bit more independent, with a checklist so she knows exactly what she's doing. The 5 yo might thrive on a checklist with pictures or workbox or pocket chart with simple cards for her routine. That way she knows what to do when you're not there directing her. (I used a pocket chart with my dd at that age.)

As for the little one duct tape. Oh, that was out. Um, well at that age I started teaching ds to sit in a high chair. We set the timer on the stove and made a big todo over it. He was strapped in, and we funneled him cheerios, whatever it took. Start low (like 1-2 min.) and work up to 45. It can be done. He's a serious go boy but he did it. Greater blessings a woman never had than knowing her toddler is safe. Well he was safe until we let him out and lost him (non-verbal). That was a bad 15 minutes and we won't talk about how my dh, BIL, etc. came home as we frantically looked for the non-verbal dc... :D He's safe now and now you know. Strap 'em in and everyone stays happy. :)

Enjoy your chaos. :)

Am I the only one who thinks the Leapfrog DVD is the best 30 minute way to occupy a child and feel justified for the learning factor?? :001_huh:

Using Leapfrog is not a failure, it is acceptance of reality for us. :) There are some math DVDs too. ;) When DD4 asks to do school in her pleading/sad voice I will do a few minutes of absolute minimum to keep her happy. But the most difficult is DD3, 6 months, who often needs to be walked for long periods of time so you have my utmost sympathy as I have yelled out the spelling words too. :tongue_smilie: And aren't babies supposed to nap alot at this age?! When dd1 is reading to me I will look at the next few sentences when I walk close by and then I can keep walking farther while she reads them and I can correct her if needed. (DD3 will not usually tolerate just being rocked, bounced or walked in a small space, she has to have more change of scenery.) SOTW is all audio here and we don't do read alouds or supplemental books very much because of the baby. It's hard, but it is slowly getting better a little at a time. I really hope next year will be easier when we are doing all of our subjects!