Menu

Nightmares

Has anyone here dealt with constant nightmares? Not with the kids, but with yourself. How did you deal with them enough to get some sleep? I'm grasping at straws. The more kids that I have around here, the more I'm noticing that I'm not functioning well on as little sleep as I'm getting. Meds don't seem to help me and I've tried a few different ones. Either they are too strong and last too long for me to be up in the morning when I have to be, or they aren't strong enough and they just make it so I can't wake up from my nightmares.

So sorry that you are having problems. :grouphug:

Do you have sleep apnea? I know that when my dh is not wearing his cpap machine for his sleep apnea, he has very vivid, scary nightmares. You might get yourself tested to see if you have something like that going on.

So sorry that you are having problems. :grouphug:

Do you have sleep apnea? I know that when my dh is not wearing his cpap machine for his sleep apnea, he has very vivid, scary nightmares. You might get yourself tested to see if you have something like that going on.

I have never contributed it to something like that because they have always been nightmares about things that have really happened. I guess it wouldn't hurt to look into it though.

Are you sure they are nightmares and not night terrors? I have night terrors. I wake up with my heart racing, sweat dripping, often right after I had a sense that someone was in the room with me. Magnesium is what helps me with that.

I'll try the Magnesium. What's the difference between a night terror though and a nightmare?

I have never contributed it to something like that because they have always been nightmares about things that have really happened. I guess it wouldn't hurt to look into it though.

I'll try the Magnesium. What's the difference between a night terror though and a nightmare?

A night terror is related to sleepwalking. It is a disturbance in your sleep cycle (can't remember the details but it has to do with your brain). Magnesium deficiency can cause it.

A night terror is related to sleepwalking. It is a disturbance in your sleep cycle (can't remember the details but it has to do with your brain). Magnesium deficiency can cause it.

I had always thought of them as flashbacks. It's relieving to think of it in terms of sleepwalking and sleep apnea. Guess I'll make a doctors appointment. Thanks

Have you ever thought of doing some trauma therapy? I am sorry, I can't think of the proper term. It is not the tapping kind. Basically, you sit with someone who is trained to do it (doesn't take a trained therapist, so it's really not therapy) and walk thru the trauma. The idea is to let go of the emotions that it still provokes.

I can ask my df (who is a true therapist and also does this work) if you'd like more info.

Also, I handle a lot of my nightmares by praying. Don't know if that would help in your case or be acceptable to you. I believe in attacking these things on every level, physical and emotional and spiritual. :001_smile:

I have very vivid dreams. I'm more prone to nightmares if the room is too dark or too warm. I sleep with a nightlight and make sure I have layers of blankets in case I get too hot, so I can kick on off.

I also try some soothing music on a sleep timer before bed. Moonlight Sonata is my go-to music.

It sounds like you have tried sleeping pills, which didn't help. How about something for anxiety? Zoloft (Rx), Omega-3's, or Cod Liver Oil.

This can ease the anxiety for as long as you take it. As far as a prescription goes, as little as 3 months may give you enough time to address the issues causing the anxiety, and you'll get some sleep while you do it.

Sandra

Have you ever thought of doing some trauma therapy? I am sorry, I can't think of the proper term. It is not the tapping kind. Basically, you sit with someone who is trained to do it (doesn't take a trained therapist, so it's really not therapy) and walk thru the trauma. The idea is to let go of the emotions that it still provokes.

I can ask my df (who is a true therapist and also does this work) if you'd like more info.

Also, I handle a lot of my nightmares by praying. Don't know if that would help in your case or be acceptable to you. I believe in attacking these things on every level, physical and emotional and spiritual. :001_smile:

More info would be great, although there isn't much for female therapist up here and I don't talk to guys very well.

Praying I do LOTS of. I am a firm believer that there is more than one side to things like this.

I have very vivid dreams. I'm more prone to nightmares if the room is too dark or too warm. I sleep with a nightlight and make sure I have layers of blankets in case I get too hot, so I can kick on off.

I also try some soothing music on a sleep timer before bed. Moonlight Sonata is my go-to music.

nightlight, yes. layers, yes. soothing music, yes.

It sounds like you have tried sleeping pills, which didn't help. How about something for anxiety? Zoloft (Rx), Omega-3's, or Cod Liver Oil.

This can ease the anxiety for as long as you take it. As far as a prescription goes, as little as 3 months may give you enough time to address the issues causing the anxiety, and you'll get some sleep while you do it.

Sandra

I used to take seroquel once in awhile when I was hitting the end of my rope. I hate having to resort to pills, unless I see an end to it.

I have the same nightmare that I have had since I was a kid :) I don't know how to get rid of it. But I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I always wake up sweating. I pray and quote scripture: "...greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." 1 John 4:4 & "Fear not; for I am with you says the Lord". Isaiah 41:10

I think it is hormone related cause it seems to have a pattern during the month.

I have the same nightmare that I have had since I was a kid :) I don't know how to get rid of it. But I just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I always wake up sweating. I pray and quote scripture: "...greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." 1 John 4:4 & "Fear not; for I am with you says the Lord". Isaiah 41:10

I think it is hormone related cause it seems to have a pattern during the month.

:iagree: It may not be a spiritual battle...but blessing your home will help if it is.

Thanks, it's nice to know I'm not alone. My nightmare is my childhood. I started having nightmares when I was 5ish. Scripture and prayer are excellent tools, although I wish they would help settle me faster. I often don't get back to sleep.

• 2 months later...
Guest whitestonept

Keep your mind relax by listening to music or reading books that makes you to drown into deep sleep. Don't think unnecessarily about the previous things. Keep laughing all the time. Make your body active by doing some work.