Menu

refrigerators

We are moving into a new construction home and need to buy a refrigerator. There is a standard size "hole" for it, so I am assuming that rules out anything too fancy (sub-zero). My other appliances will be stainless, so it needs to have that quality. Otherwise, I am wide open to suggestions on brand, design etc.

Do any of you have one of those armoire-type ones? With the freezer drawer on the bottom? Do you like that, or do things get "buried" in there? We have a side-by-side in this out, and I must say it doesn't seem to be very efficient, space-wise, especially on the freezer side.

Anyway, please tell me what you like and why? Ice/water on the door or no? Freezer on top or bottom? Armoire style? Any and all suggestions and why you prefer or dislike what you have would be greatly appreciated! :D

Get one which has doors that fall closed if you don't hold them open. We had an armoir-type in the last house we rented, and those doors never closed unless you shut them hard! To compensate, the thing had a LOUD alarm that would beep if the doors were left open. It drove me right up the wall! And there was no way to turn it off or down that I could ever find. I hate things beeping, and I could never unload groceries without it going off several times. Sorry, I don't know the brand.

I have a French door/ freezer on the bottom. No ice/water in the door, but good ice maker in the freezer below. I don't use a lot of ice and I have a filter on my sink for drinking water so I didn't want my refrigerator space used up with that ice maker. Plus the ones I saw didn't have a very big reserve for the ice maker when it was in the door.

One side of my refrigerator door does not shut with a push....it is something to get used to but I wouldn't give it up because of it. However, it it had an alarm I would definitely be irritated!

I love my refrigerator....mine is 25cf Whirlpool Gold. I am moving and looking at new ones and considered getting a single door on top/freezer on bottom due to the door not shutting on its own easily....but from what my quick look found The single doors only go up to 23cf....

We are also looking to buy one for a new build. We are seriously considering this LG. One thing to consider is the other appliances going in. Ours are Whirlpool. We looked at Whirlpool refrigerators, but weren't overly impressed. We wanted to make sure that our fridge somewhat matched the other stuff in the kitchen, though. We were originally looking at a GE, but their stainless has a real yellow/gold-ish tint to it and it would have really stuck out. The LG, while it doesn't match perfectly, matches closer. Also, the LG's handles look very similar to the Whirlpool's handles. My husband was not initially sold on the french door refrigerators, but he was impressed with this higher end LG. (He had a few qualms about the base models - space, setup, drawers, lighting, etc.)

We are big Home Depot shoppers, and we also really like that they had the lowest warranty coverage around - $100 per item, with a break if you buy 3... (Sears was $500-something for a 4 or 5 yr. warranty!)

ETA: Water/Ice in the door was a must for my dh. He hates that at my mom's you have to open the fridge door to get water and bend over to get ice. That was a must, but you can save some money if it is not for you.

Edited by Guest

We have the LG, French Door freezer on the bottom. It does not have ice in the door, but does have water in the door. We like it and it looks great. The drawer freezer does 2 annoying things - 1 is it doesn't seal as easily as I would like and that door does not beep when it's open. 2 - the ice maker has this tendency to throw ice down the back into the bottom and then when you open the door the ice comes out onto the floor. The more ice we're using, the more it does it (maybe we're bumping ice back down when we grab it). The design is not great. Our model is a number of years old now though so maybe they've improved the design. Other than that, we're very happy with it.

ETA: Water/Ice in the door was a must for my dh. He hates that at my mom's you have to open the fridge door to get water and bend over to get ice. That was a must, but you can save some money if it is not for you.

I bought mine before I met dh....he is 6'3" and uses ice a lot. I just realized he will probably want water/ice in the door.

I love the freezer on the bottom. I will always have a fridge with the freezer on the bottom.

I have no opinion about one or two doors on the top. Ours has one, but I'd be open to two. Either one, as long as the freezer is on the bottom. :)

I took a "step out of the box" plunge a couple of years ago and bought a freezerless fridge. I haven't regretted it for a moment. I *love* it. It's so spacious. We also have a full-sized freezer not too very far away (other end of the kitchen), kinda of out of the way. The only thing I'd do differently if I changed anything in the future (which would require a kitchen remodel, though) is to get one unit that's the same size as one freezerless fridge and one full-sized freezer together. :001_wub:

If you can't do that, I agree about the freezer on the bottom. That'd be my next choice.

I took a "step out of the box" plunge a couple of years ago and bought a freezerless fridge. I haven't regretted it for a moment. I *love* it. It's so spacious. We also have a full-sized freezer not too very far away (other end of the kitchen), kinda of out of the way. The only thing I'd do differently if I changed anything in the future (which would require a kitchen remodel, though) is to get one unit that's the same size as one freezerless fridge and one full-sized freezer together. :001_wub:

If you can't do that, I agree about the freezer on the bottom. That'd be my next choice.

But I don't think that's in our future. We have a huge laundry room where a separate freezer would have worked, but there are already GOBS of cabinets in there. That is probably a good thing, too!

Last year our 16 year old refrigerator was starting to act up -- stuff in the back would freeze but if we adjusted the temp, the temperature up front would be too warm. For months, we had to be careful that the lettuce (etc) didn't go too far back and freeze.

We kept our eyes open and got the same frig as Phoenix (aka Monica) except in white to match our appliances. It was a scratch and dent with a scratch on each side (easily hidden by kids artwork held up by magnets), a small dent (hard to notice) and a huge ding on the top of the freezer drawer. Nothing hides that, BUT considering we got the unit for half off (so $1200), when I look at that ding, I simply see little dollar signs... A great frig for a relatively low price.

Meanwhile, we donated the old frig (it DID still run, tho' a bit flakily) to the rescue mission in town that gives big appliances to those new to town and broke. We explained its idiosyncracies. I hope it's still running a year later (now).

I do tend to "lose things" in the back of the freezer and do need to be careful and organized. I think I really liked the side by side design as being more ADHD-friendly. I've even lost a few frig things.

Things I like:

The alarm can be switched on and off.

Lots of neat drawers, shelves, and racks.

Well lit.

Filtered water in the door. Ice too.

Newer refrigerators have thinner insulation so the wall is thinner. More food storage space for the same exterior size.

Wipes up well.

The things we use most (frig things) are at our level. The rarely used things (frozen food) are down.

And I don't like:

I've lost some food.

The water dispenser is confusing to visitors, so we have to give them the Ice and Water Briefing on their first visit.

The ice in the door sometimes sticks if nobody's used ice in the last few days.

The ice bin capacity is low.

HTH