Menu

Pressure Cooker

Well, one thing led to another and I ordered a pressure cooker! How did this happen? I was reading the Forks over Knives thread, Bean offered a list of FB groups, I asked for them, I joined them. The Eat to Live group had a group buy on the Instant Pot. It was a good deal. It sounded amazing. I spent my money. :001_huh:

So now what? What are your favorite things to do with your pressure cooker? Any great recipes to share?

what does one cook in a pressure cooker?

Apparently many things and fast. Rice in 10 minutes. Brown rice 20. People talk about cooking a 5 lb frozen solid roast. AND... dried beans are much faster. I saw a youtube video using a pressure cooker to cook dried beans and then using them as butter/oil substitutes in baked goods. I'm hoping I'm happy with my purchase!

I need lessons on mine. Nothing I've made comes out good. I bought a cookbook for electric pressure cookers that had rave reviews. I blame myself but I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Oh, I did make stock once in it and it was a wonderful clear stock. That was the only good thing so far.

Oh, no! I hope I can figure it out.

I love my pressure cooker. I looooove my pressure cooker. I luff my pressure cooker! Honestly, I don't know what we would eat without it. :lol: It's like a crockpot crossed with a microwave.

I have two words for you:

Lorna Sass

We are vegetarians, but not vegans. Her cookbook "vegetarian cooking under pressure' is so good, that I had been cooking from that thing for 3 years before I even noticed it was vegan.

She has plenty of cookbook for ominivore as well. The one I know best is called "cooking under pressure"

I love her cookbooks and highly recommend you get at least one. It will really help you get the most from your pressure cooker. I always feel sorry for people who only use it to make beans. It's like meeting someone who only uses their oven to make frozen pizza.

Guest thedaytontime

Refried beans, beans and rice, whole chickens, garbanzo beans for hummus, rice... I could never remember to soak dried beans, and now I don't have to. I got my PC from Bed, Bath and Beyond, it was $20 and we had a $5-off coupon. Best $15 ever.

For rice, brown or white, put in the same amount of water you would to boil the rice. Bring to pressure, keep it at pressure for five minutes, then remove from heat and let the pressure fall.

For beans, usually 10 minutes at pressure does the trick, and let the pressure fall naturally.

For beans and rice, put beans in cooker with water, bring to pressure, keep there for five minutes. Put entire pot in sink under cool water, rush the release of pressure. Add rice and amount of water for the amount of rice you have, plus any onion or garlic, bring to pressure, keep at pressure for five minutes, and then remove from heat and let the pressure fall naturally. Add salt, cumin or whatever spices you like, and serve.

We have a 7 quart Bistro by Wolfgang Puck. Scares me to death, I make King Charming make it go go go.

We are using it more and more, my crockpot hasn't been out of the cupboard in a week (I lie) or more- you know I love my crockpot and wouldn't abandon it to this amazing man powered gizmo. :leaving:

I love my pressure cooker. I looooove my pressure cooker. I luff my pressure cooker! Honestly, I don't know what we would eat without it. :lol: It's like a crockpot crossed with a microwave.

I have two words for you:

Lorna Sass

We are vegetarians, but not vegans. Her cookbook "vegetarian cooking under pressure' is so good, that I had been cooking from that thing for 3 years before I even noticed it was vegan.

She has plenty of cookbook for ominivore as well. The one I know best is called "cooking under pressure"

I love her cookbooks and highly recommend you get at least one. It will really help you get the most from your pressure cooker. I always feel sorry for people who only use it to make beans. It's like meeting someone who only uses their oven to make frozen pizza.

I second this entire post. My electric pressure cooker rocks my socks off. Lorna Sass is fantastic! My favorite of her omnivore cookbooks is "The Pressured Cook." Love. LOOoooove. Luff!

Great! Ordered some Lorna Sass cookbooks from the library to get me started. The group buy is good through July 31st if anyone else wants one.

I hope Lorna helps you like she helped me :001_smile:

I also own her cookbook "Complete Vegetarian Kitchen" which, I suspect is OOP. The beautiful thing about that book is that she give multiple instructions for each recipe. She tells you how to cook it the pressure cooker, on the stove top and in the crockpot. Now, not all have instructions for all three. Many have instructions for two options, but still, it is a workhorse of a cookbook.

I think it is also vegan, but I have never really noticed. That is a big deal for me, because I am not a fan of vegan cooking. I often think a vegan dish would be greatly improved with cheese. :lol:

I've had one for 10 years and it is life-changing. Basically anything that requires boiling (pasta water, potatoes, corn), I use the pressure cooker for as I am always pressed for time (I WOH full time). I also have that little contraption that can steam veggies without them touching the water. I use that too.

Apparently many things and fast. Rice in 10 minutes. Brown rice 20. People talk about cooking a 5 lb frozen solid roast. AND... dried beans are much faster. I saw a youtube video using a pressure cooker to cook dried beans and then using them as butter/oil substitutes in baked goods. I'm hoping I'm happy with my purchase!

So, can I save myself from forgetting to thaw the chicken bre@sts in time for dinner by getting a pressure cooker I can toss them into?!!

Seriously, I've been thinking of getting one and just stopped by this web site on the way to check them out on Bed Bath & Beyond's site.

Thanks for the cookbook recommendations! My brother (single guy) swears by his pressure cooker. He likes to throw in a slab of ribs to cook a bit before finishing them on the grill. I think that's the only way my family will get BBQ'd ribs, I am too chicken to pay that much for a slab of meat, only to crisp 'em black on the grill.:tongue_smilie:

ETA - Okay, I have taken a look and now have questions.

Can I start with the (affordable in this month's budget) non electric stove top version, or am I just asking for trouble?

Can I can/jar in the stove top pressure cooker, or do I actually need a pressure CANNER specifically for that?

Edited by Seasider

[quote name=Seasider;4140937

ETA - Okay' date=' I have taken a look and now have questions.

Can I start with the (affordable in this month's budget) non electric stove top version, or am I just asking for trouble?

Can I can/jar in the stove top pressure cooker, or do I actually need a pressure CANNER specifically for that?[/quote]

I have only ever used a stove top version. I don't think I have ever seen an electric one, or considered buying one. If it is more expensive etc, then I wouldn't consider an electric one. The stove top one is dead simple to use.

In order to pressure can you need a pressure canner, at least that is what I have been told when I asked the same thing.

Oh, and the chicken breast question I cannot answer because I don't eat meat. I have no idea what the rules are for raw meat and thawing in the the pressure cooker.

I have only ever used a stove top version. I don't think I have ever seen an electric one, or considered buying one. If it is more expensive etc, then I wouldn't consider an electric one. The stove top one is dead simple to use.

In order to pressure can you need a pressure canner, at least that is what I have been told when I asked the same thing.

Oh, and the chicken breast question I cannot answer because I don't eat meat. I have no idea what the rules are for raw meat and thawing in the the pressure cooker.

Thanks! I will start slow, mostly using it for beans. But honestly, I am the world's WORST at remembering to defrost things in a timely manner!

My 'trick' for pressure cooking beans is I do soak them over night, or all day, and then I bring them up to pressure and only cook them for 1 min. Then I turn off the heat and and let the pressure drop naturally. Then I check them. Generally that is enough to cook them, but not turn them to mush.

If I start with unsoaked beans I might cook them at pressure for 3 or 5 mins, but really no longer. As long as you let them sit in the cooker and let the pressure come down they are continuing to cook. Once I did that and forgot about the beans for hours. They were sitting there in that hot water and they disintegrated. :lol:

But, when you think about it, it is a very efficient way to cook beans. You only need a bit of fuel to cook them.

I adapt my regular recipes for main dishes that would go in the oven to the pressure cooker by checking the instruction manual for times for the meat I'm using.

So a family favorite, bourbon chicken, went into the p.c. on high pressure for 8 minutes, because that's what the manual suggested as the minimum time for boneless chicken thighs. Came out perfectly.

Though if you want a thickened sauce, you'll have to add cornstarch and stir and cook that as an additional step, just as you would with the oven version. But I'm too lazy (and it's too hot).

BTW, I open mine on the back deck, and just bring back the inner liner with the food into the house. I love gadgets that keep my house cool despite the record heat.

I love love love my pressure cooker too! My favorite thing to do is throw frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts in it with a little water. Cook for 50 minutes, stick em in my kitchen aid with the paddle attachment and in 5 seconds have very juicy and perfectly pulled chicken. I use it throughout the week to make tacos, bbq, casseroles, etc.

My very fav food is artichokes and they are PERFECT cooked in a pressure cooker :)