Menu

Oooooh! It itches!

I got a second degree burn 2 weeks ago. It is healing nicely now (after a little detour with cellulitis that seems to be all cleared up). But as it heals it itches like anything! Is there anything I can do about that? I can't dare to scratch it but honestly it is all I can do to keep myself from clawing my arm to pieces.

Cold compress? It's not going to alleviate it entirely but may take the edge off.

I got a second degree burn 2 weeks ago. It is healing nicely now (after a little detour with cellulitis that seems to be all cleared up). But as it heals it itches like anything! Is there anything I can do about that? I can't dare to scratch it but honestly it is all I can do to keep myself from clawing my arm to pieces.

Hydrocortisone??

Ay Jean, I keep thinking you're saying "celulite" when you write "cellulitis". lol

Feel better mama. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff the dermatologist prescribed for me when the coffee pot blew up in my face. That stuff was absolutely amazing.

:grouphug::grouphug: to you. Burns are no fun. :(

Hydrocortisone??

Ay Jean, I keep thinking you're saying "celulite" when you write "cellulitis". lol

Feel better mama. I wish I could remember the name of the stuff the dermatologist prescribed for me when the coffee pot blew up in my face. That stuff was absolutely amazing.

:grouphug::grouphug: to you. Burns are no fun. :(

No cellulite on my arm! Actually the burn wasn't so bad because the nerves were dead. Until now as it is healing.:glare:

Grrr. I just opened a brand new box of bandages that we bought tonight. The box is empty. Grrr. I bet someone opened it at the store and tipped the contents into their purse.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

No cellulite on my arm! Actually the burn wasn't so bad because the nerves were dead. Until now as it is healing.:glare:

Grrr. I just opened a brand new box of bandages that we bought tonight. The box is empty. Grrr. I bet someone opened it at the store and tipped the contents into their purse.

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! That's terrible! :(

I am getting over a bad sunburn right now, so I totally empathize with you on the itching. What I find helps:

I rub an oil into my burnt skin before the shower (I use sesame). Then when I shower I use a loofah to keep the dry skin at bay. The oil helps to moisturize the skin while I am in the shower and keeps it from getting dried out by the water.

After the shower, oil again, but lightly.

I also use a sock full of ground oatmeal to dab any really itchy areas if I need too. You can do this during the day if it is in a location you can get to. I am burnt on all my extremities so the shower works best.

Aveno makes an Eczema lotion that has oatmeal in it. It is a bit sticky but works good.

Witch hazel is good for some peoples itching, but I don't have any to try.

I use hydrocortisone cream if I have to but prefer to not use it if I can avoid it.

I put on aloe a couple times per day to speed the healing of the new skin forming.

If you have any benadryl tablets or cream/gel it can help too. It makes me to groggy and the gel doesn't help as much as the oil for me so I just use the oil.

If you like to go more natural. Milk compresses can help, calendula and chamomile tea compresses/baths can help too.

Taking an inflammatory or pain med, can help with pain itching.

Chamomile compresses are the best itch relief that we've found. Follow it up with something that will seal the moisture into the skin, like Vit E oil or some other light oil (almond is nice).

For me, with burns (both initially and in the healing stages) changes in the skin's moisture content causes a lot of the discomfort and itching.

Hope you feel better soon.

I am getting over a bad sunburn right now, so I totally empathize with you on the itching. What I find helps:

I rub an oil into my burnt skin before the shower (I use sesame). Then when I shower I use a loofah to keep the dry skin at bay. The oil helps to moisturize the skin while I am in the shower and keeps it from getting dried out by the water.

After the shower, oil again, but lightly.

I also use a sock full of ground oatmeal to dab any really itchy areas if I need too. You can do this during the day if it is in a location you can get to. I am burnt on all my extremities so the shower works best.

Aveno makes an Eczema lotion that has oatmeal in it. It is a bit sticky but works good.

Witch hazel is good for some peoples itching, but I don't have any to try.

I use hydrocortisone cream if I have to but prefer to not use it if I can avoid it.

I put on aloe a couple times per day to speed the healing of the new skin forming.

If you have any benadryl tablets or cream/gel it can help too. It makes me to groggy and the gel doesn't help as much as the oil for me so I just use the oil.

If you like to go more natural. Milk compresses can help, calendula and chamomile tea compresses/baths can help too.

Taking an inflammatory or pain med, can help with pain itching.

Oh yes aloe is great for burns! :)

banana boat makes an aloe with lidocaine in it. It soothes, helps heal, and numbs the area.

Chamomile compresses are the best itch relief that we've found. Follow it up with something that will seal the moisture into the skin, like Vit E oil or some other light oil (almond is nice).

For me, with burns (both initially and in the healing stages) changes in the skin's moisture content causes a lot of the discomfort and itching.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you! I will check into all of these. I might have some of these at home somewhere.

• 1 year later...
Guest keithlacon

Cellulite can be reduced by exercises and workout. To be honest I was dealing with problem of cellulite of my legs and I seriously reduced them by doing cycling, Ventouse Minceur and exercises. These measure are best and effective.