Menu

Ant farms

Alice

DH got one as a family Christmas gift a couple years ago. We ordered the large carpenter ants, it was a couple bucks for 25 ants. They are WAY better than the little, backyard ants, because they are big enough to actually see their huge mandibles, and you can really see what they are doing.

The ants spent most of their time tunneling, and it was very interesting to watch. They would actually work in teams, and also built what appeared to be "living rooms" where they would gather and rest.

We put the ants into the farm in January, and still had a few left alive in late May. I finally threw the ant farm out, because the few ants left weren't so active anymore, and truthfully, I was tired of having it on my kitchen counter!

But it was very entertaining, the ants tunneled like mad, and we would definitely get one again. You can find those gel ant farms all around now, online or in stores.

Michelle T

We have an Insect Lore sand ant farm. It's very low maintenance (a kernel of food and 2 drops of water every 5 days) and the ants have far exceeded their life expectancy. They were supposed to live 2-4 weeks and they're heading into week 10. We got the ant farm to accompany our FIAR unit on Truman's Aunt Farm.

We got Antworks from Home Science Tools (hometrainingtools.com). We bought the extra blue light (it was really worth it). You can clearly see the ants at night and it makes a great night light. The black harvester ants that we got tunneled the first day and made tunnels for about 2 weeks. We have had them now for six weeks and it is still going strong. This is the best ant farm and we would buy it again.

We had the blue gel one. My kids really enjoyed watching the ants tunnel. They liked showing it to the neighbor kids too.

I loved it too when we had to go out of town and the preacher's wife asked me if there was anything she could do for us. I asked her to "ant-sit". Priceless! She will always remember me!

BTW, if you are wondering, the ants stayed home quite happily all by their little lonesome selves.