Menu

"Low(er) Carb Recipes" Thread

Sooooo, this isn't a debate thread. It's a place to share your lower carb recipes that you've tried/modified/liked.

I use the term "lower" because I like (not a scientific term ;) ) the concept new Atkins has about a gram of fiber off-setting a gram of carbs. So, post your recipes that you've tried and liked. I'm getting there with my home made rolls. I should be able to post the recipe by next week.

Post away. Don't worry if it's clean enough/whole enough/low enough. I ask that the Perfect Food Police be kind if visiting this thread. I know I have certain "no go" ingredients that I swear embody Satan himself, but really, do I need to impart that personal belief to someone kind enough to share something here? Probably not.

Let's give this a try!

Ingredients:

1 jicama -- julienned or "slawed"

1 c avacado -- cubed (small)

1/2 lb. shrimp -- cut to bit sized pieces

2-3 tbs. watercress

1/3 c. fresh grapefruit juice

3 tbs. olive oil

Directions:

Toss and serve. :D Roughly 4 servings.

According to a recipe analyzer* I used, this nets to about:

273 cal

16.3 g fat (2.4 sat. fat)

19.2 g carbs (10.7 g fiber, 4.5 g sugar)

13.9 g protein

*I've found the one at Calorie Count pretty easy to use.

Honestly, I love, love, love all the South Beach cookbooks. They are truly delicious recipes and I never have to worry about modifying them. South Beach does allow beans even on Phase 1 because they have lots of fiber and the carbs are very complex - beans get me through Phase 1.

I've just finished Phase 1 - some of the things I've made (these are different from what I usually eat in Phase 1 because it's swelteringly summer and hearty stews are out):

Broiled Halibut (I used cod) with lemons and shallots with a side of dilled cucumber salad.

White bean and arugula soup (I'm going to use escarole next time, though).

Red leaf lettuce, jĂƒÂ­cama and cucumber salad. I skipped the creamy cilantro dressing because I just don't like dressing.

One recipe that I didn't eat recently but was great was Salmon buttermilk chowder (thickened with pureed turnips - can't taste them).

For the beginning of Phase 2 (where I'm allowed limited whole grains - & try to keep to one meal a day) I made the Peanut chicken with shredded napa cabbage and soba (buckwheat) noodles.

In colder weather, I adapt some of my own recipes more. Some of my faves:

Kale with ham and white beans (instead of potatoes).

Lentil soup with turnips instead of potatoes.

Another Phase 2 fave that I made up myself:

Green cabbage or leeks sauteed with chicken apple sausage and sweet potatoes. I often chop up half an apple or so and throw it in.

I also make homemade pizza with whole wheat crust, but that's probably not low-carb enough for the ultra-low-carbers.

I usually eat Greek yogurt with blueberries and pecans and a bit of stevia for breakfast.

Oh and I made a really nutty concoction that turned out really good..

1 envelope of Knorr Vegetable recipe soup mix

4 cups hot mashed cauliflower

1 cup of shredded cheese (whatever you like)

1 egg slightly beaten

pepper to taste

DO NOT ADD SALT TO ANYTHING.

Combine everything, put in buttered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.

I have to try this! My kids have been asking what cauliflower tastes like.

Thanks Wendy for the site. I didn't know about it.

Here's Rachel Ray's Sesame Green beans. My minor modifications:

I use 1 lb. of green beans instead of 1 1/2 lbs.

I use coconut oil instead of generic vegetable oil.

It comes out to 4 servings for our family (in other words, no leftovers!)

Analysis:

101 cal.

7 g fat (3.4 g sat)

9.3 carbs (4.5 g fiber, 1.6 g sugar)

2.9 g protein

Anyone who low carbs probably knows about this "recipe", but it's soooo good and easy.

ground meat (turkey, beef, pork, whatever you like)

shredded cabbage and a bit of shredded carrot (or bagged coleslaw mix)

sesame oil, soy sauce (both optional but so yummy)

butter, lard, or coconut oil for frying

saute meat until cooked, add shredded cabbage and cook until crisp tender, add a bit of sesame oil at the end to taste

This stuff reminds me of the inside of an egg roll. It reheats and freezes well too. If it lasts long enough to have leftovers that is.

Wendy, ours is very similar! We take out the sesame and soy, add some chopped olives, a little salsa, and a tsp. of cocoa chili powder and roll that up in a Mission Carb Balance tortilla. :D

Makes 12. So, have nothing to do for the rest of the day, or only make this when you are having a party.

1/4 bouillon cube dissolved in 3/4 c warm water

1 tsp. horseradish

64 oz tomato juice

1 tsp. celery seed

1/2 tsp. salt (probably redundant but we use it)

1 tsp. pepper

3 tbs. Worcestershire sauce

1 tsp. Tabasco

12 oz vodka

Combine ingredients in a large pitcher filled with ice.

Oh and I made a really nutty concoction that turned out really good..

1 envelope of Knorr Vegetable recipe soup mix

4 cups hot mashed cauliflower

1 cup of shredded cheese (whatever you like)

1 egg slightly beaten

pepper to taste

DO NOT ADD SALT TO ANYTHING.

Combine everything, put in buttered casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.

This reminds me of a FAVORITE around here. I buy my all time favorite pesto sauce (need to try to make my own!) and add it to a head of cooked, mashed cauliflower. EVERYONE loves this! I make it at least a couple of times per week.

Another favorite.... It tastes like island food :D

Slice white and/or purple onion very thinly,

Slice red pepper very thinly

Shred zucchini and carrots

I use equal portions of each. Sautee all in salted coconut oil. Even dd12, who doesn't like zucchini, likes this. This and the cauliflower is even loved by ds20, my newly converted junk food junkie. :glare:

Anyone who low carbs probably knows about this "recipe", but it's soooo good and easy.

saute meat until cooked, add shredded cabbage and cook until crisp tender, add a bit of sesame oil at the end to taste

This stuff reminds me of the inside of an egg roll. It reheats and freezes well too. If it lasts long enough to have leftovers that is.

I made something similar recently but they were raw. We all LOVED them!

I used rice wrappers, the kind you just soak in water to use. I didn't use meat but finely shredded cabbage and carrot, very thinly sliced red pepper, each had either scallions or purple onion. I used a spicy Thai peanut sauce for dipping but I want to find a better dipping sauce recipe. SO GOOD!!!

Makes 12. So, have nothing to do for the rest of the day, or only make this when you are having a party.

1 tsp. horseradish

64 oz tomato juice

1 tsp. celery seed

1 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. Tabasco

12 oz vodka

My girlfriend's husband made me a Bloody Mary recently and I have made them at home. LOVE extra horse radish, add the Worcestershire sauce, but I also learned to add olive juice! SO good!

When dh and I went to Damariscotta, ME we got a Bloody Mary there that was To Die For. I noticed the secret ingredient from the first sip: shrimp juice. I know it sounds gross, but it was GOOD.

When dh and I went to Damariscotta, ME we got a Bloody Mary there that was To Die For. I noticed the secret ingredient from the first sip: shrimp juice. I know it sounds gross, but it was GOOD.

That makes sense to this coastal girl. :) There's a restaurant here that makes theirs and uses several shrimp on a skewer as a garnish. Hmmm, now that sounds like a good lunch! :tongue_smilie: (I should save that for during the school year. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: )

Another tasty drink is dry white or red wine mixed with diet Sierra Mist.

Lime seltzer, stevia, lime juice, tangueray.

Lemon seltzer, lemon juice, lemon stevia, vodka.

Pink lemonad Crystal Lite, tangueray

Unsweetened cranberry, valencia orange stevia, vodka.

I can't drink much these days (migraines) but find these refreshing during the summer.

I used rice wrappers, the kind you just soak in water to use.

Oh my, another recipe you are jogging from the deep recesses of my mind. Ill have to dig it out and see how carb friendly it is (or I can make it).

Thanks!!!

That makes sense to this coastal girl. :) There's a restaurant here that makes theirs and uses several shrimp on a skewer as a garnish. Hmmm, now that sounds like a good lunch! :tongue_smilie: (I should save that for during the school year. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: )

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

During the school year we can have mimosas for breakfast and Bloody Mary with shrimp for lunch!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::cheers2:

Wendy, ours is very similar! We take out the sesame and soy, add some chopped olives, a little salsa, and a tsp. of cocoa chili powder and roll that up in a Mission Carb Balance tortilla. :D

That sound so good! I have to try them. We love cabbage here.

1 tsp. horseradish

64 oz tomato juice

1 tsp. celery seed

1 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. Tabasco

12 oz vodka

Now yer talkin. I love bloody marys and I never, ever make them. What a sin.

EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

During the school year we can have mimosas for breakfast and Bloody Mary with shrimp for lunch!!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::cheers2:

I nominate Denise as "cruise director" of our Lower Carb/WTM Homeschool Meet-up.

I made killer (bone in) pork chops last night.

I soaked them in about a gallon of salted water, about 4 tablespoons of garlic powder and about 4 tbsps of Braggs aminos. I let that sit for an hour, and then I drained it, doused it in EVOO and gave them all a liberal coating of The Pride of Szego The World's Best Steak Rub. It's in a pretty black tin with a cow on it. (yes, I got it for the tin. I can always reuse them)

Low and slow on the grill, and they were amazing. Best pork chops I ever made. I was gnawing on the bones, and the meat was tender and juicy (which I NEVER manage to accomplish with pork chops).

That sounds good.

I recently found a pork chop rub that is so interesting and yummy.

It's called Jake's Grillin. The unusual ingredient in it is ground coffee beans. Sounds weird, but it gives it an amazing taste.

You can never have enough coffee...I'll have to pick that up.

If you can't find it I think it would be easy enough to make something like it. The ingredients are:

ground coffee, sea salt, paprika, cumin, ground black pepper, dried minced garlic, garlic powder, dried minced onion, onion powder, cayenne pepper, parsley, mustard powder

Hey! I have all that! Awesome!

Another tasty drink is dry white or red wine mixed with diet Sierra Mist.

I have never thought of that. I really dislike wine, but I know red wine is a "better" than beer carb wise. I really, really like my Polish beer though. I know I should give it up while trying to take of a few. But that sucks and makes me pout.

Sooooo, this isn't a debate thread. It's a place to share your lower carb recipes that you've tried/modified/liked.

I use the term "lower" because I like (not a scientific term ;) ) the concept new Atkins has about a gram of fiber off-setting a gram of carbs. So, post your recipes that you've tried and liked. I'm getting there with my home made rolls. I should be able to post the recipe by next week.

Post away. Don't worry if it's clean enough/whole enough/low enough. I ask that the Perfect Food Police be kind if visiting this thread. I know I have certain "no go" ingredients that I swear embody Satan himself, but really, do I need to impart that personal belief to someone kind enough to share something here? Probably not.

Let's give this a try!

:lol:

Sorry, but I have no lower carb or do you mean low starchy carb?

I will be watching.

Yes, I love beer. It's really the reason I need to drop a few pounds if I'm being brutally honest. LOL

Too carby...but JUST SO GOOD!!

Yeah, once I work up the will power to cut it out I"m sure I"ll drop it in a week no more. Seriously I drink too much beer. And Captain Morgan's Private Reserve. MMMmmmm:lol:

You have probably had good German beer....it is similar to Polish beer. I have not found a low carb beer I can stand, so I probably just need to stop.

Thanks for the link MIch elle! I also would like to know those you personally like, and esp. and modifications you've made to make it tastier, whatever. I find that I get the best tips from informal "gatherings" like this, vs. what I guess is sometimes too much out there for me to peruse.

I esp. am fascinated right now with tinkering with baking in a" net carb" method that will work, and hope to post some results next week.

:lol:

Sorry, but I have no lower carb or do you mean low starchy carb?

Well, technically I guess the starch doesn't matter if there's a ton of fiber to offset. :)

So, I guess I am tending towards the new Atkins definition which would be carbohydrates that are whole foods, high in fiber...

Ok here's an actual recipe, and something I make up for a grabby breakfast/snack.

Egg muffins: Prepare a muffin tin with oil/butter or use paper liners sprayed, and they hold their shape better. This makes a dozen but you can obviously easily half it:

12 eggs

1/2 lb ground meat cooked and crumbled.

shredded cheese if you want. I put it on it the kids but cannot eat cheese myself.

Saute whatever diced veggies you want, I like a bit of onion, bell pepper, seeded hot pepper, garlic, shredded carrot...basically whatever in butter/oil just until starting to soften. Cool. Lightly beat eggs in a big bowl, add cooled veggies/meat. I like to add a good amount of fresh chopped parsley. Spoon in to muffin tins and bake at 350. I start checking at about 18 minutes. You can cool them and freeze too. I am fine eating leftovers for a few days but if you fear food poisoning just freeze them.

I've had Polish beer, German beer, Czech beer....it's all good.

Maybe we can be drop the beer buddies?

I don't know how I'm going to live without friday night beer and Pierogi. I was telling DH last night that I NEED to cut it out for a few weeks. He looked sad LOL! But, it's like more calories than I need in 2 days in one night.

I haven't tried this yet (just saw the recipe... will try them at dinner), but I can taste it just looking at the picture:

Avocado Deviled Eggs

blog.jpg?w=500&h=380

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/get-em-while-the-gettins-good/

Ingredients:

6 hard boiled eggs

1 medium avocado, diced small

3 tablespoons mayonnaise

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

Salt to taste

Hey, in one of the many books I read, one guy off-handedly referred to seasonality -- meaning it's OK to gain 10 lbs in the fall/winter as long as you pare them down in the spring/summer. I'm not here to debate that, but there's a certain deep down resonance it has with me and a few of the folks I live with here on the coast.

Our plan this year is to stay low carb through the summer and then m-o-d-e-r-a-t-e-l-y increase our carb consumption (with basic bad stuff like beer) through the winter. Then, for Lent, we'll go strict LC. So far, there's 4 of us, all different body types and backgrounds, in our late 40s to mid 50s. It should be fun to see how it works for us.

All that to say, just plan for your beer. I'm planning for my homemade hamburger rolls. I just love them. But I don't need one every day. Once a week should be good enough ('cept during Lent ;)).

Oh another tip I just remembered while I was making up my shopping list...

I have a large collection of Cooking Light magazines from the late 80s/early 90s. Almost all of those recipes I liked back then can be "fixed" by simply adding back in the full-fat versions of the "light" products.

:)

Hope everyone is planning a tasty dinner!

Tonight is salad, leftover pork chops, and they can have melon for dessert. I bought 4 cantaloupes. They ate two already today. :001_huh:

I'll probably use that sesame bean recipe you posted, and add that in. I have two zucchinis I have to use today, too, I wonder if I can add that to the sesame mix. I'll get back to you!

I made this the other night. It's an Atkins Phase 1 recipe. Oh, my.....delicious! And for the record, words I never thought I'd say, but I actually liked it better without the bacon. The world must be coming to an end.

Blue Cheese and Bacon Soup

6 Pieces bacon

3 Tablespoons butter

2 leeks, halved lengthwise and chopped

2 Cups sliced mushrooms, use white button, ****ake, cremini or portobello

1 1/2 Cups cauliflower florets

29 Ounce-weights chicken broth

1/2 Cup water

5 Ounce-weights blue cheese, crumbled

Directions

Cook the bacon til crisp. Crumble, and set aside.

Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks, mushrooms and cauliflower. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth and water; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.

Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return pureed soup to the soup pot. Add the blue cheese to last batch of soup and puree until smooth. Heat through over low heat, if necessary. Top with crumbled bacon just before serving.

Yum..that looks awesome.

Um yeah why are you cursing like that (better without bacon)?!

I know! I need to be punished.

On another note, I just noticed that the board automatically inserted asterisks into "****ake" mushroom. Really? :blink:

Speaking of ****ake (because now I can't stop typing it) I used a wild mushroom mix I bought at the store that had baby bellas, oysters, creminis, ****akes (oops! I did it again) and a couple others. This soup was seriously good.

So many yummy new recipes!

This reminds me of a FAVORITE around here. I buy my all time favorite pesto sauce (need to try to make my own!) and add it to a head of cooked, mashed cauliflower. EVERYONE loves this! I make it at least a couple of times per week.

I will be making this next week!

And this! :D

I made killer (bone in) pork chops last night.

I soaked them in about a gallon of salted water, about 4 tablespoons of garlic powder and about 4 tbsps of Braggs aminos. I let that sit for an hour, and then I drained it, doused it in EVOO and gave them all a liberal coating of The Pride of Szego The World's Best Steak Rub. It's in a pretty black tin with a cow on it. (yes, I got it for the tin. I can always reuse them)

Low and slow on the grill, and they were amazing. Best pork chops I ever made. I was gnawing on the bones, and the meat was tender and juicy (which I NEVER manage to accomplish with pork chops).

I want to try this but what is Braggs aminos?

I need dessert and adult drink recipes! Any ideas? :D

I'm not very good at desserts. We basically never have them. Oh wait. Would you consider a lightly spiked fruit salad for a dessert? Generally, we have it for breakfast on the weekends in the summer....

I need dessert and adult drink recipes! Any ideas? :D

I made this the other night. It's an Atkins Phase 1 recipe. Oh, my.....delicious! And for the record, words I never thought I'd say, but I actually liked it better without the bacon. The world must be coming to an end.

Blue Cheese and Bacon Soup

6 Pieces bacon

3 Tablespoons butter

2 leeks, halved lengthwise and chopped

2 Cups sliced mushrooms, use white button, ****ake, cremini or portobello

1 1/2 Cups cauliflower florets

29 Ounce-weights chicken broth

1/2 Cup water

5 Ounce-weights blue cheese, crumbled

Directions

Cook the bacon til crisp. Crumble, and set aside.

Melt butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add leeks, mushrooms and cauliflower. Cover and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chicken broth and water; bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, until vegetables are very tender.

Puree soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return pureed soup to the soup pot. Add the blue cheese to last batch of soup and puree until smooth. Heat through over low heat, if necessary. Top with crumbled bacon just before serving.

*swoon*

I want to try this but what is Braggs aminos?

I found it in the health food store and some grocery stores carry it. It's a soy sauce like liquid. It's just processed a little different.

Juniper, one day when I was really having a hard day I ggot some 10% fat yogurt and put a couple of tbsp of virgin cocnut oil on it and then I sprinkled 100% dark cocoa powder on it. About a teaspoon. Oh my stinkin heck how good that was.

If you can eat fruit, eat it. It's paleo. I can't but if I could, I'd grill peaches and pineapple.

Here is my version of Wendy and nono's recipe. I have this once or twice a week:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Crack Slaw

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Ground Turkey Low Carb

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 bag Dole Cole Slaw Mix (try to pick out the carrots) or Shredded Cabbage.

2 tablespoons sesame oil -- (2 to 4)

1 1/2 lbs ground beef

*Red Pepper Flakes.

Brown meat till it's cooked, place in strainer and tap off fat. Place meat on side. Heat up sesame oil in another pan, then add in shredded cabbage. Cook to desired tenderness then you sprinkle some red pepper flakes on top and even can add soy sauce. Ony carbs is the cabbage which is very little.

For Mexican, transfer it to a plate and top it off with some shredded cheese, avocado, sour cream and salsa. Ole.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This is the basic recipe. I use ground turkey and brown it in butter. I then remove it from the pan, add more butter to the pan and saute the cole slaw mix. If I'm doing Asian style, I add garlic, ginger and green onions along with some soy sauce and a bit of Truvia.

For Mexican, I add chili powder or taco seasoning and garlic to the meat. I brown it all together and add some water and let it simmer a bit until the water evaporates. I remove the meat, saute the cabbage, add the meat back and serve it with avodaco, sour cream, and cheese.

Pesto Crack Slaw - just add pesto at the end and combine all. I sometimes add additional cheese.

Baked Spaghetti Crack Slaw - after adding the meat back to the cole slaw mix, I add oregano, tomato sauce, sour cream, and mozzarella. Combine until cheese is melted.

One of the things I've really missed since going low-carb is pot stickers. I found this recipe and have made it several times. I even took it to a potluck and everyone loved it:

POTSTICKER PATTIES

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Ground Turkey Sausage

Cabbage Mixture:

3 pounds napa cabbage -- *(3 to 4)

1 small- medium onion -- chopped, about 3 ounces

2 cloves garlic

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon granular Splenda

2 tablespoons oil

Meat Mixture:

1 pound ground pork

1 pound ground turkey -- or chicken

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

2 eggs

5 green onions -- minced

1 Dash hot sauce

1/8 teaspoon sesame oil -- optional

2 tablespoons oil -- or as needed

To prepare the cabbage, chop off the bottom 3-4 inches of the stalk and thick stems. Separate the leaves. Stacking a few leaves at a time, slice them in half lengthwise through the stems. Next, slice them crosswise into very thin shreds. You'll probably have a bit left from the center of the head. Either discard or use it in another recipe.

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large wok or pot over medium heat. Add all of the cabbage mixture ingredients to the wok and stir-fry until the cabbage is very soft and wilted. Once the cabbage is wilted, turn the heat to high briefly and stir-fry to evaporate any excess liquid. Watch it closely so it doesn't burn. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, mix all of the meat mixture ingredients, except the oil, in a large bowl. Mix with your hands until the egg no longer feels slimy. Stir in the cabbage until well blended. Divide the mixture into 8 equal size patties. Fry, 4 at a time, in oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Cook about 8 minutes per side or until done in the center. I found that they got quite dark brown on the outside, but they didn't taste burnt.

Makes 8 servings

Can be frozen

* You'll only end up using about 1 1/2 pounds by the time the cabbage is trimmed. The nutritional counts reflect 1 1/2 pounds of cabbage and not 3-4 pounds. If you don't have a kitchen scale, you'll need about 8 cups chopped cabbage.

Per Serving: 308 Calories; 20g Fat; 25g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 4g Net Carbs

I didn't have much in the way of instructions to go with Heather's orginal recipe so I kind of played it by ear. I think she may have put the cabbage in hers raw, but I decided that the flavor and texture would be nicer if it was cooked first with some onion and garlic. They have a very nice flavor even though I went a little heavy on the sesame oil. I've cut it back from 1/4 teaspoon to 1/8 teaspoon here. Heather didn't say how much to use so I had to wing it.

Source:

"http://www.genaw.com"

NOTES : These were really good. I used prepackaged coleslaw that was just green cabbage. I used Truvia rather than Splenda. I made the patties quite a bit smaller and cooked them in coconut oil. Next time, I will make the patties even smaller (maybe 2-bite sized) and serve them with a peanut sauce dip.

Here are the two sauces I served them with:

Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce (For Dumplings or Pot Stickers)

Recipe By :

Categories : Low Carb Sauces & Marinades

1/4 cup soy sauce

1/4 cup rice wine vinegar

2 1/2 teaspoons sugar equivalent

1/2 medium scallion -- minced

2 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot

1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

Bring soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and 1/4 cup water to boil in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.

Pour mixture into bowl and stir in scallion, ginger, oil, and hot red pepper flakes (Sauce can be refrigerated in air-tight container for several days).

Makes about one cup.

Source:

"Recipe Zaar"

Peanut-Coconut Sauce

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Sauces & Marinades

1/2 cup peanut butter -- creamy

1 cup coconut milk

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

1 teaspoon ground ginger

2 garlic cloves -- chopped

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

mix ingredients and refrigerate.

Bring refrigerated sauce to room temp and use as a dip

Source:

"http://ginnyslowcarbkitchen.blogspot.com"

NOTES : Made this to go with the Potsticker Patties.

Here's another one we love:

Heroin Wings

Recipe By :

Categories : Appetizers Low Carb

Poultry

4 pounds chicken wings or chicken breasts.

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

2 Tablespoons dried parsley

1 Tablespoon dried oregano

2 teaspoons paprika

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. pepper

1/2 cup butter -- melted

option: couple gloves of garlic sliced thin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the chicken into pieces (one- or two-bites size)

Combine the parmesan cheese and the parsley, oregano, paprika, salt, garlic and pepper in a bowl.

Line a shallow baking pan with foil.( if you don't do this you will be sorry cause you will be scrubbing on this pan a week later!).

Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

Dip each chicken piece well in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture, and arranged in the foil-lined pan.

Bake for 1 hour, and then kick yourself for not making a double recipe.

Makes about 50 pieces, each with only a trace of carbs, a trace of fiber and 4 grams of protein.

Source:

"www.lowcarber.org"

OH, and here's my favorite dessert right now. I'm doing LCHF, so getting in enough fat is sometimes an issue. This one is a big help for upping my fat. I got the idea for this one from a recipe I made in my pre-low carb days. It was a frozen mocha cheesecake mousse. I always left the coffee part of it out, but I'm sure it would be a cinch to add coffee to this for the mocha aspect. This is a very soft "cheesecake" dessert. But, I made it again last night and somehow I got the ratios just right and it was a bit firmer while still being incredibly creamy and luscious. I just realized that maybe the difference was that last night I put the cream cheese in the microwave for a few seconds to soften. I hadn't done that the previous times I had made this. Sorry I couldn't come up with a more creative name.

No-Bake Cheesecake Cups

Recipe By :

Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00

Categories : Desserts Low Carb

1 cup heavy cream

Truvia to taste

8 ounces cream cheese -- softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

several drops of liquid stevia

1/2 cup heavy cream

6 ounces 90% dark chocolate -- broken into small pieces.

Truvia

Whip the 1 cup of cream with Truvia to taste until stiff peaks form. Beat the cream cheese, vanilla, and stevia to taste until smooth and creamy. Gently fold 1/4 of the whipped cream into the cream cheese until combined. Continue folding the rest of the cream until all is combined well. Spoon the mixture into 12 muffin cups lined with paper liners. Refrigerate until firm.

Heat the 1/2 cup cream in the microwave until it comes to a boil. Add the chocolate and Truvia to taste. Stir until chocolate is melted. Refrigerate until thickened. At this point it can be whipped or not, your choice. Spoon chocolate onto the tops of each cheesecake cup. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

NOTES : The second time I made these I did them a bit differently. I whipped the cream cheese with the liquid stevia and also some Truvia. I added a few tablespoons of cream to thin it a bit. I whipped about 3/4 cup cream with the Truvia and vanilla until stiff peaks. I folded the cream into the cream cheese and followed the rest of the recipe for the cheesecake part. For the topping, I put a couple of tablespoons of butter, a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil and about 3/4 cup of cream in the microwave with Truvia. I heated it until everything was melted. I then added about 1/4 cup of cocoa powder and whipped it together until all was smooth. I then refrigerated it until chilled. I again whipped it until it thickened and then topped each of the cheesecake cups with a spoonful.

Stacy, that is some great stuff you posted there. Thanks!!

Thanks, nono. I'm going to be away from my computer for the next 4 days, but if this thread is still active when I get back, I'll try to post more.

I love trying new recipes and it's been a crazy time since switching my diet. I try to stay under 30 carbs per day and am always on the lookout for new recipes.

Thanks for the link MIch elle! I also would like to know those you personally like, and esp. and modifications you've made to make it tastier, whatever. I find that I get the best tips from informal "gatherings" like this, vs. what I guess is sometimes too much out there for me to peruse.

I make Chicken Curry in Coconut Milk; I skip the water and potatoes & use a can of diced tomatoes: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1739,153164-231204,00.html I LOVE this recipe! I cook jasmine brown rice to put under it for my family (I skip the rice).

This is my own recipe inspired by other recipes-

Sausage soup:

Jones Sausage (roll 1lb)

1 Onion

3-4 Carrots

2-3 Celery

2-3 Garlic

Cabbage - 1/2 sm. head

Olive oil

Thyme 1 tsp.

Spinach/Kale or other greens

salt & pepper

Bay Leaf

Sm. Turnip or Potato (turnip is lower carb)

Cook sausage & remove from pot. Saute in olive oil - chopped onion, carrots, celery, garlic, & cabbage; salt & pepper to taste. Simmer until wilted; add cooked sausage, bay leaf, thyme, potato (if desired) - stir & add water (for thick soup just to top of mixture). When vegs are tender add greens (spinach, kale or other).

THIS pumpkin pie recipe from marksdailyapple really is perfect.

For an alcoholic beverage, I LOVE...LOVE Southern Comfort mixers. I use Crystal Light peach iced tea, but you could go all fancy and make it with some other healthy sugar sub. One, er, two shots per tall glass for me :D

I make a yummy no bake treat with greek yogurt. Fage is the thickest. I know its' fine as is with just berries stirred in but sometimes i like to feel like I am eating an actual dessert. I start by making a nut crust. Just

2 cups of berries, smashed with a little of whatever sugar sub you want. I use a little splenda or xylitol and you don't need much. Dissolve 1.5 tsp of gelatin in 2 tblsp of water until softened, then nuke a few second at a time until it is dissolved. Whip a cup of cream with the gelatin, until soft peaks form, then add the berries, 2 cups of greek yogurt, and continue to whip until stiff. Spoon in to dessert dishes. Sometimes I start by making like an almond flour type cookie, and bake those in individual ramikins. It's just basically 1 cup almond flour, 1 tlbsp coconut oil, cinnamon and pinch of splenda. SPrinkle in to t he ramikins and bake less than 10 minutes. I'm really bad with exact recipes. I sorta wing it often.

I have been known to use the package of sugar free jello added to the fruit. I know I'm the debil.