Menu

PSA: Your printer toner still has ink in it!

And then after you think you've eked out as many pages as you could, take the cartridge out and give it good sideways shake to further distribute the last grains of toner and get those very very last pages of printing done. Love that trick!

Yeah, I go months (I don't print a whole lot) after I get the warning. I change it when it starts to noticeably change the output.

:iagree: Yep. I only change it when I see a difference in the printing - and usually a bit after that - I find that there's a period where it'll print 1-3 pages fine but degrade after that, but rebound again after a rest. Since I usually only print a few pages at a time, I still get a lot of mileage out of that stage unless I suddenly need a big print job.

My printer simply refuses to print after it has given the warning. With my old printer, I could go for months after the warning by simply taking the cartridge out and shaking it if the printing got streaky.

This. Our inkjet has broken down and I am on the search for a laser printer. But this bugged the heck out of me about our inkjet (an Epson). A page would print fine, warning would pop up that a cartridge needed to be replaced, and no more printing could be done until cartridge was replaced.

My printer simply refuses to print after it has given the warning. With my old printer, I could go for months after the warning by simply taking the cartridge out and shaking it if the printing got streaky.

y brother 2270WD will also refuse to print, but you can push a sequence on the go button that will override it and then it will continue to print for hundreds more pages. Push go seven times? I can't remember it at the moment, but you can google it.

This. Our inkjet has broken down and I am on the search for a laser printer. But this bugged the heck out of me about our inkjet (an Epson). A page would print fine, warning would pop up that a cartridge needed to be replaced, and no more printing could be done until cartridge was replaced.

Be careful on your search for laser printers too. We do get to print for awhile after the warning. Then we take it out and shake the toner cartridge and reinsert. We might get a few more prints out of it, full well knowing the cartridge still has a good bit of life left in it. But the cartridges are controlled by a computer chip, so this is how the printer companies get you. What a waste!:glare:

However, I absolutely love my Samsung color laser printer after using an inkjet for years. ;)